Happy Wars: Free-to-play XBLA title launches in autumn, new trailer

Friday, 24th August 2012 13:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Happy Wars is a 15 v 15 fighting game published by Microsoft, and it’s heading your way in autumn.

However, there’s no work on just how the game will be monetised, or if Xbox Live Silver members will be able to join in on the fun for free as well.

Here’s a brand new trailer:

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. lexph3re

Trailer say’s Gold members download for “free”. So, I think we can assume(ass out of you and me XD) that it won’t be free to silver members. Kinda defeats the purpose of free to play right?

2. OlderGamer

I think we all knew that would be the case tho Lex. Just MS and their way of doing biz. And no, I don’t like it either.

I spent 100usd last year to have the family plan gold. This year I am taking that 100usd and putting it down on a WiiU. I mostly use my XB360 for Netflix. I can use my PS3, Wii, and WiiU for that subcsription fee not needed.

3. Ge0force

#1 Very true, a game that requires a payed subscription is NOT free to play.

4. DrDamn

It’s an *online* battle game, what exactly is a silver member going to do with it if they could download it free? Looks quite interesting, but I would have been more interested in it as non-FTP.

Edit: Should really look these things up before commenting. Apparently has a single player campaign too – so as you were :)

5. Gadzooks!

That looks bonkers, and could be quite brilliant. Loving the siege gameplay especially.

As stated, it’s an online game so cheapskate silver subs need not apply. If you can’t afford £25 per year then frankly you are a stinking pov and not worth consideration.

#4

Why would you be more interested if it were not FTP?

6. Ge0force

#5 I can afford £25 per year, but I’d rather not spend it on p2p-gaming or free-to-play games, since they are… well, FREE on every other gaming platform available. But I guess this is also not worth your consideration.

7. Gadzooks!

#6

You are right. It’s much better to have a free service that ditches all support for your games after a year or so.

Its totally acceptable to have paid £40 for, say Motorstorm:PR, and be unable to play it online anymore because there are no funds to maintain the servers.

I guess it all depends on what level of quality you want from your online service. You want quality, well it costs. Free alternatives are never going to measure up.

8. DrDamn

Well it depends on the model, but I’d like to be happy that I’m up against a level playing field not a who spent the most on items playing field. A lot of F2P models get it horribly wrong. Game does look a lot of fun though, and I like the visual style.

9. Dragon246

If you have money to spend on things that should be free, fine.
    Anything other than xbox is not worth his consideration .

10. Gadzooks!

#9

A year of top quality online service costs roughly half the value of the game you can no longer play online. Add the cost of all the games that have lost online support and well, its easy to see why XBL is the only serious choice for gamers. Note: I said gamers, not unwashed cheapskate loafing scum.

11. Christopher Jack

@10, Do you still think you’re not a fanboy?

You’re just as delusional as TEA. Sad because you used to behave better than this. Perhaps his insanity put you in line. Now with him long gone, I guess you took it upon yourself to fill the void.

12. Gadzooks!

#11

We’re discussing free 2 play models here, not cult of personality.

Back on topic:

#8

How will Dust’s F2P model work? I didnt see any complaints about that, and it could work the same way for all we know, or are we assuming a worst case scenario because it’s a Microsoft game? ;)