Remedy – next-gen a “quantum leap” over current consoles

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 15:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Remedy’s working on an unannounced project for next-gen systems, according to the firm’s head of franchise development, Oskari Hakkinen.

Speaking with the German edition of GI International, Hakkinen declared the systems to be a “quantum leap” over the current offerings.

“Currently we are working – like always – with a relatively small team on a next-gen project,” he said. “One question you always ask yourself in this phase is: can the upcoming consoles really be so much better compared to the current gen?

“I can rest assure you, they are! It’s a quantum leap.”

In March, a job listing for Remedy noted it was hiring for an unannounced project for “future generation consoles”.

Big thanks to PapaJustify for the proper translation.

1. ManuOtaku

Quantum leap, that reminds me the series, i did love that series back in the day.

Dont worry for the translation, nothing against Germans, but the language is vocal in a way that they seem angry at you, even if they are telling i love you… i found it very funny :), i dont want to see them say i hate you in german, with the feeling inserted :)

p.s sorry to deviate the topic, is that just remind me the series really.

2. G1GAHURTZ

Quatum Leap!

Now there was a classic show.

3. ManuOtaku

#2 GIGA yes it was, very classic.

4. Gheritt White

A quantum leap? Wouldn’t that just be a really, really, *really* small leap? Like a micro-leap or nano-leap?

5. freedoms_stain

Quantum Leaps are really freakin tiny.

6. PapaJustify

Here the correct translation:

“Currently we are working – like always – with a relatively small team on a next-gen project. One question you always ask yourself in this phase is: Can the upcoming consoles really be so much better compared to the current gen? I can rest assure you: They are! It’s a quantum leap.”

7. G1GAHURTZ

Ziggy!

/hit’s small box in hand.

8. Dragon246

I just hope its not a “quantum leap” in things like prices , otherwise they will see a similar quantum leap in the terms of people not buying consoles.
    Smaller than 10power -14 , ie. radius of electron .

9. ManuOtaku

#8 so almost like the particle of God ( Bosson, i dont recall the name, Geeks Bosson?)

10. Night Hunter

Correct translation has already been provided. Move along, nothing to see here

11. Gadzooks!

#9

Higgs Boson.

Also, I never really got on with Scott Bakula’s face. It just didn’t seem right to me.

This is encouraging news, I guess, as long prices arent proportionally increased as #8 said.

12. Dragon246

Higgs Boson, named after Peter Higgs.
    Also has nothing to do with God, (which doesn’t exist). It was just named so in a popular book.
    None the less an important discovery as it was the only particle mentioned in the standard model that was not discovered .

13. ManuOtaku

#9 Oh yeah, thats the one Higgs Boson, thanks i didnt recall the name, i did recall however that was a sub-atomic particle of the fermion group, but i didnt remember the name of the guy, thanks, well Bakula is a pretty decent actor in my eyes, but i did love more the themes and the jumping in time cases more.
    p.s yes i know it is not from God, but it did share some resemblance like we knew that is there, but we didnt see it, that is if you believe in God, but seeing your comment you dont, so i dont want to go to that path again, thanks anyway.

14. OlderGamer

Believe it when I see it. Tech demos and benchmarks mean nothing to me. An excited dev hyping a project means nothing to me. I need to see the games playing on the system under my TV. Then I can decide.

My biggest meassuring stick?

Fun.
    Are the games fun to play?

The only other things that matters to me is price point. I don’t want 500-700usd systems, 70usd+ controlers, overpirced mem units, pricy subscription fees, DLC/subscription schemes, and 70usd games. I don’t want any of that.

But we are going to hear lots of exciting things over the next couple of years. That’s just hype. Plus people are just plan pumped for a new gen. Me too, sorta. I would call it optimisticly excited. I want great hardware, fun games, at affordable prices. Not sure we will get that.

If we don’t, I will just stick with PC.

15. Erthazus

well, making a next Xbox with 4 gigs, quad core processor with decent clock speed and last gen OK GPU is a huge leap……… compared to current generation but it’s not That big of a leap.

Still, after 2-3 years of development on the new systems, games will be 200% better than in this gen at least in physics, visuals, features.

time will tell.

16. ManuOtaku

I think the leap, not pun intended, will not be as big as with this generation, i mean when the ps3 and 360 came, they were, if i dont recall wrong, a little bit better than the best PC rigs of that time, Earth feel free to correct me if i am wrong, not PC tech savy here, therefore that gave them 2-3 years to compete neck with neck, with the PC graphics powers, now i think it will be a plus if the next gen consoles comes close to what is available today with the best PC has to offer, but i dont think it will be better than that, as a matter of fact i think it will be less than the best of todays PC, this due to cost constrains like OG mentioned before, therefore the leap will be like a flee instead of quantum one.

17. Phoenixblight

If that document were true for the next Xbox it will be pretty ahead from what typically is in avgerage joe’s house. 8 core CPU, 4GB Ram, modified multiple GPU but as far PC elitists or tech savy people, no not really.

18. Erthazus

@Manu, leap will be big. Don’t worry. 4 Gigs, decent current gen CPU and last gen GPU is enough to make a difference between current gen and next gen.

you will be surprised and hyped.

“a little bit better than the best PC rigs of that time, Earth feel free to correct me if i am wrong”

not really. PS3′s Blu Ray player addition was something special and Cell microprocessor rumors were awesome, but beyond that nope.

For your info, PS3 and Xbox dev kits were 2 times better then Ps3 or 360 just for example.

19. Dragon246

@Erth
    Can I know your pc rig? Will be in market soon.

20. doa766

again with this crap? quantum means VERY VERY VERY SMALL, in any case that would be a good term to describe the leap between 360/PS3 and the Wii U

21. bitsnark

Oh hell yes.

I used to love the opening theme.

*Jives*

22. Gadzooks!

Quantum leap does not necessarily refer to a change in size, scope, scale, etc.

It specifically refers to an instantaneous, non-continuous change in state, like electrons do when changing orbit around a nucleus when their energy levels increase or decrease.

However, nuclear orbit deltas compared to electron size can be enormous, so it has been popularised as meaning large leap.

None of this changes how wrong Scott Bakulas face is.

23. ManuOtaku

#22 Sheldon is that you?, get out of that body :), and i mean it as a compliment or praise rather than a detriment, for the record

24. Gadzooks!

Sorry, I did nerd out a bit there. :D

25. ManuOtaku

Yep you did, in a good way

26. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Thank you ever so much!

27. OlderGamer

PB, can you define PC elitest for me? As you see it?

Sure graphics alone don’t define a game experience. But to me, gaming on PC isn’t about graphics. I enjoy the lower prices of the game(even when not found on a 85% Steam sale), I enjoy the indie games from Minecraft to A Vally Without Wind, I enjoy mods, and I enjoy a broader selection of games to play. Plus PC exclusives like WoW, Guild wars, Diablo, Titan Quest, Civ(not counting rev lol), and so on. I play PC because I like the games.

How is that an elitest?

I am sorry man, but calling PC gamers elitest just makes your sounds uninformed and maybe a tad bit jealious in my book.

And lastly, sure Erth puts consoles down(he still plays them btw, for the exlcusive games). Mostly because he has experienced better. Wouldn’t you do a double take if you walked into a room and everyone was raving about PS2 graphics/games? Wouldn’t you want to point out that PS3 has rechargable pads, strong online, digital downloads, much better graphics, richer deeper game worlds? Well imagine if all anyones around you talked about was PS2. And maybe they called you an elitest just because you think PS3 is better.

A gaming elitest is just a nerdier nerd really. And in the eyes of someone out there, we are all nerds ;)

28. Phoenixblight

“Cause I know your lumping me in there. My “rigs” are modest at best. And as for those high end tech guys, aren’t they just gamers that want to play their games in the best way possible?”

Didn’t think of you when I made that statement. I didn’t even read your comment.

“Are you like that too? Otherwise why would you have moved forward from one generation of consoles to the next?”

Huh? I got my new systems because the older ones weren’t being supported. NOt sure where you are going with this comment.

“Plus, how can you put someone down for wanting to have the best of something? That is just human nature. Don’t you want the best console experience you can have?”

I didn’t put anyone down. I was just saying that based on the documents that were leaked supposedly that the next system will be modest leap that is it. THere was no putting down anyone.

My definition of PC elitist is that of those that get the latest hardware even though the piece of hardware is $500+ thats how I see it. I am not talking about the elitist that bang on about being superior to console gamers though those do go hand in hand.

29. OlderGamer

My entire PC(the new one I just bought) cost between 500usd and 600usd after taxes, just fyi. I spent the same type of money on my first PS3. And worse I bought my PC off of the shelf at best buy.

I just wanted some clerity was all. Because I do game most of game time on PC, i often feel like people are speaking to me when they bring up PC elitests.

If that wasn’t your intention, then I apologize.

30. freedoms_stain

woah, woah woah, we were talking about Scott Bakula http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0VfwSniOtM

31. Phoenixblight

Nope and just because you play more games on the PC I wouldn’t consider you a PC elitists not in the slightest.

32. Gadzooks!

#30

Yes, back on topic!

That scene with him in a dress… I cannot unsee what my eyes have seen! It will haunt me to my dying day.

33. manamana

Oh good, love me some more Alan Wake!

34. ManuOtaku

Well the picture of quantum leap will be more fitting than star trek on this topic, but who am i to argue that?.

#33 Yes i second that, more Alan Wake will be good, i really like the game and also the XBLA release, seeing the improvements in some aspects on the XBLA tittle, i cannot wait for their next iteration.

35. Ireland Michael

> Article has the words “Quantum Leap” in its titles.
    > Uses Star Trek banner.

I demand this be rectified immediately, before any more news is posted on the site!

36. Stephany Nunneley

God damn it. How about the best of both worlds?

37. Stephany Nunneley

There, Fixed.

38. ManuOtaku

#36 well i prefer that one, but you didnt put it yet, what are you waiting for? :)
    p.s thats way better, thanks

39. TD_Monstrous69

Here’s me hoping that they show some love next-gen to Playstation gamers.

40. Ireland Michael

@37 Hahahahahaha! Perfect.

41. Malmer

Alan Wake 2 Next-gen launch title. Yes please. Thank you very much! :)

42. OrbitMonkey

Quantum leap huh? So it’ll take them less time to rip off Ninty this time round?

43. Gadzooks!

#42

I hope not! If it weren’t for all 3 console makers constantly ripping each other off in various ways we wouldnt have half the features we currently have in our boxes. ;)

44. OlderGamer

Good deal PB, couldn’t tell you why, but idea of being called an elitest kind of bothers me.

45. fearmonkey

Quantum leap’s plot would actually make a really great video game, I’d play it.

I personally hope that the next gen is truly a huge leap from this generation. I’m playing through Alan Wake on PC on the highest settings (not bad for a 5 year old CPU, Motherboard and ram, and a 2 year old Video card)and I have been blown away how much better it plays and looks.
    Say what you want about graphics being fine as there are now, but the higher detail, res, lighting, textures, and smoothness make the game much more immersive for me. I played though Alan wake on 360 when it released in 2008, and Im having more fun with this replay. I never completed the DLC so Im looking forward to that too.

46. TheOutcastWolf

Ermmmm I really can’t see any Next-gen console on Sony’s plans.. have you seen the list of ‘things to do’ they have on PS3…

…and 360 got on stores a bit earlier, but not much to make a launch soon to our time…

47. jacobvandy

A huge leap for consoles = still not even close to catching up to PC.

(THAT was elitist. But still true.)

48. LooneyLad

A quantum leap maybe but for how long ? Two years ? Maybe three ? Consoles as a concept will die soon since technology is moving so fast that no closed system can survive for long periods as the corporations behind them would like. Hell Sony predicted that its Ps3 would be in its prime years just now ! yet they are being forced to push out something new. Even if they try to make them super powerful so they would “last” longer that would cause them to be quite expensive, which is a big ‘no-no’ in the console market. My Galaxy S is like 2.5 years old and while being a monster 2 years ago its now trashed by phones 10 times more powerful. So yeah, consoles are pretty much dead, not yet, but they will be.

49. Phoenixblight

THis gen of consoles has lasted 7+ years and MS and SOny said they both plan on supporting them for 10 years. This plan has clearly worked for them allowing them to make a profit off their systems. Its also why next gen will be following the same model the difference is they will make sure the consoles will be able to scale and to be more flexible as time goes on. Consoles are not dead especially since the game industry is lead them by a huge margin.

50. osric90

Thinking only about graphics in a game tells how shallow you are. It’s like thinking special effects in movies and only that. For a QUANTUM LEAP, I hope next-gen consoles come 2020 at least.

51. Phoenixblight

“I hope next-gen consoles come 2020 at least.”

Well that won’t be happening. And its not just about the eye candy having more cpu,ram and better GPU allows for more things that developers can do look at the games that were released on the PS2 and compare them to this gen. We wouldn’t be able to get games like Skyrim or Witcher 2 if we were still working off PS2 tech. Fortnite is not able to come on current gen because of the limitations of the hardware of the consoles.