Beyond Two Souls: Interactivity is ‘more than shooting guns’ – Cage

Tuesday, 21st August 2012 16:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

David Cage believes player interaction in video games should consist of more than just shooting a gun, and this philosophy is something he’s striving to instill with Quantic Dream’s latest, Beyond: Two Souls.

Speaking with VG247′s Dave Cook during gamescom, Cage is hoping people “get” Beyond: Two Souls, as it brings more to the gaming table than just ‘being interactive with a gun’ – something he tried to convey with the release of Heavy Rain.

“The games industry is very conservative,” said Cage. “Each time you try something different you need to explain, evangelise and give a lot of effort just to get people to go past their current expectations.

“There will still be people who haven’t played Heavy Rain who think it’s a long movie with a couple of prompts, like Dragon’s Lair. I did promotion of Heavy Rain for two years and I tried to explain Heavy Rain, I showed it and I made demos.

“I said, ‘Look, you are in control all the time. It’s not Dragon’s Lair, you’re in control.’ But people didn’t get it, or they thought, ‘Oh, my character doesn’t have a gun so I don’t know how I can interact.’”

Cage said the problem, is the industry “defines interactivity by shooting,” – if the player isn’t shooting anything, they aren’t being interactive.

“What we tried to say with Heavy Rain is, ‘You can be interactive without a gun,’” he said. “There are many other ways of interacting that are not through committing violent actions.”

“With Beyond we are going to change many things. You have direct control over Aiden, and this entity is something that will sound familiar to more people, and will attract them to the game and make them realise it’s not Dragon’s Lair-esque in any way.

“It’s fully interactive, we have less cutscenes than many first-person shooters that I can see, and it’s just about interacting in a different way. It’s a different experience and I hope that people will be open-minded and open to trying something different.”

You can read VG247′s full interview with David Cage tomorrow.

Beyond: Two Souls is a PS3-exclusive without an announced release date; however, the general consensus is to expect it sometime in 2013.

1. a7md1990

Too many David Cage news and quotes. Not that I hate him, I actually love him, the game is going to be awesome we get it, but this is just too much.

2. ItsMe

I’m getting a little tired of the superior tone in Cage’s comments. Because almost any game I can think of is more interactive than Quantic Dream’s interactive movies.

3. manamana

@1 & 2 +1
    I’m on an information blackout regarding Cage and Beyond. But I saw all the Cage and Beyond headlines and thought: not bad for a non CoD game.

4. viralshag

He needs to get off this guns and interactivity line of thinking… It sounds ridiculous.

‘Oh, my character doesn’t have a gun so I don’t know how I can interact.’

Who would honestly be thinking this if they were shown a demo of Heavy Rain? This is possibly one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever heard.

5. Sadismek

Cage’s doing pseudo-art here. He’s doing the stuff he does just so he can call himself and his games “special”, and in the process he forgets what art should be: something that you shouldn’t use as the main focus in your advertising. He should let the gamers find out what’s so special about Two Souls, or if it truly is something special.

6. Ali

I am always amazed more by the games of those devs who don’t speak a lot and dont overhype their games. I wasn’t a fan if Heavy Rain, I couldn’t even finish it. It was underwhelming in many aspects for me.while I expect this to be an improvement over HR, I still can’t see the lure.

Also, I am tired of him looking down at other games just to say tha his are different. Being different doesnt mean being good.

7. TheOutcastWolf

Fuck people complain so much he keep comming back to explain himself… PLEASE MAKE THE GAME SO I CAN BUY IT FOR CRY OUT LOUD!!!

8. Dave Cook

@1 it’s cause we have the full interview going live tomorrow. We wanted to highlight the news from it first as the actual thing is massive :)