BioWare: ‘We’re not lying about day one DLC’

Monday, 20th August 2012 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

BioWare has responded to criticisms surrounding the origin of its day-one DLC content. The studio has said that DLC for Mass Effect 3 and other games is being communicated truthful, isn’t on-disc and isn’t just kept off the disc to milk profits.

Speaking at GDC Europe last week, BioWare’s director of online development Fernando Melo explained, “Contrary to what you might hear on the internet, fans do want more content. They tend to say, ‘I want it now.’ The problem with day one content and the challenge around it is that the right answer for now is different for every player. There is no single right time, there is no single now. It’s subjective, and it’s unique to every player.”

“If you have a consistent culture of how you’re communicating to your fans,” Melo added, “that will increase the number of people that are more likely to believe in your explanation. You’re not lying to them, but they will take whatever you’re saying as like, ‘you’re lying to us.’ That will always be there.”

Melo concluded, “The only way that that’s going to go away is you fast forward a few more years, where this is just normal. Every game is digital from day one. Every game is an ongoing service, almost like an MMO, where on any given day new content shows up. Maybe that’s part of the base package, and maybe it’s a premium feature.”

Thanks OXM.

What’s your view on day-one DLC? Speak your mind below.

1. KrazyKraut

I feel tricked about day-on-dlc. Thats why I never would purchase one. D1DLC is bad and they should feel bad.

Okay, when there wasn’t enough time to put it on disc..so why not offering it for free?

And when they feel, how angry we are, why they don’t stop the shit? Because they don’t give a fuck about us.

2. Puggy

Well, I would see the need to add a price tag to it, if you were to add new models, new AI, new… well, code. Since you need people to write/design/speak/test it, bandwidth for distribution and all.

However I think there was something about that DLC from ME3, the Protean dude you can get if you buy his DLC. Something about all the data already being on the Disc itself and only needed some simple lines to be made available. There were (maybe still are) even videos about it on youtube.
    And for some lines of code, that “allow” me to use features of the software I have already purchased… well, it sounds cheap to me. Then again, if people pay for it… yeah, why not let them? Would be stupid, to offer something for free if you can get money for it. From a capitalistic point of view.

3. KrazyKraut

Yes ofc, extra content needs resources. Okay. But when they develop this content during the main process and offering it at day 1 or 2 or 3 its milking. And its greedy.

4. Fin

They don’t stop because people buy day-1 DLC. If nobody bought it, they’d stop.

Welcome to capitalism.

5. viralshag

@1, It’s not that they don’t care, they just don’t care about the people that want things for free.

Depending on what it is, I will buy day-1 DLC as I don’t really have a problem with it. If I did, I wouldn’t get my knickers in a twist about it, I just wouldn’t buy it.

6. freedoms_stain

Bioware are some of the worst offenders for low value high cost dlc.

7. SplatteredHouse

I don’t believe Bioware. I don’t believe their words anymore, and their integrity’s been pissed away. They’re all talk, and everyone knows who’s pulling the strings! >:()

8. TheWulf

Their method of development screws them over a lot.

Y’know, I actually believe them. With the prothean, I think they managed to finish the prothean himself by the time the disc went gold, but not some of his dialogue or his mission. This is reflected by the content that ended up on the disc. You can force him into your party, but his mission isn’t present in any form, and he’s missing dialogue.

They leave half finished stuff in their files, when their stuff goes gold, which gives you a peek into future DLC. It hurts them when they do this. They did the same with the extended cut ending and the Leviathan DLC. They had the script laid out for the Leviathan DLC, obviously, but there was scant all else to be found.

They’re just lazy when it comes to cleaning up their data for release. That’s their problem. I’m sure that they are being honest, but they need to be more careful about cleaning out half finished stuff.

9. bo_7md

I usually buy the CE anyways for the extra armor and weapons and they gave the DLC free with that so it’s a good deal as far as I’m concerned. Also the DLC doesn’t add or take much from the main story, just gives minor info about the Protheans.

10. aprotosis

They are right. This whole problem is going to go away once you fast-forward a few years and everyhing is delivered digitally. This is how it works:

A game company plans out the release, and does their best to fit a schedule, budget etc. The content of the main game is already prescribed to a specific team with a specific budget. When a company is able to attempt to pull a day 1 DLC, then a new team is formed and they have their own budget. Also their own revenue goals, etc. This is seperate from the main game just as if they were developing the DLC post-launch. Art tends to be tagged in first because of the size of their assets. Then sound. Text and even data is tiny in comparison. They do this so that they could potentially piggyback the relase and put it on the disc to turn a 1+ GB download into maybe 100MB instead. See, they are trying to convenience you.

Then of course the game is out, the DLC is out and people on the Internet bitch that there is content on the disc they have to pay for “again”. Really what you are saying is that you would rather just download it all since you feel so entitled to everything. Once everything is a digital download, then your package will be very specific and never the twain shall meet.

11. TMRNetShark

I remember the days when game companies made ACTUAL expansion packs that were around $40 and added a ton of content at once around a year after the release of the original game.

But nope… we are stuck with “DLC” that costs $15-$20 that is at a fraction of what most expansion packs were back in the day.

You want to know the sad thing is? Valve popularized DLC… with Half Life 2. What do you think Ep 1 and 2 were? They weren’t expansion packs… they were “DLC.”

Shame on you Valve. You’ve ruined the video game world… but I forgive you for bringing us Steam (and Steam sales). :)

12. Phoenixblight

Expansion packs are not profitable even ROckstar said they won’t be making DLC as large as they did like they did with GTA IV, RDR. Its the sign of the times.