Gamestop: 10th-worst place to work in America, says new study

Monday, 13th August 2012 10:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Gamestop has been named the 10th-worst place to work in America, according to a study conducted by the company Glassdoor – an analyst firm that gives employees the chance to rate their workplace.

24/7 Wall Street posted the data collated by Glassdoor, which highlighted Gamestop’s high turnover of staff and states that employees feel that the company values high sales figures over customer service.

Pressure on staff to push customers into pre-ordering games was also a factor, putting them in a position where they may pay for games ahead of release that may end up being rubbish at launch with no room for a refund or compensation.

This is the same company that recently stated that ‘Pre-owned is good for the industry, and doesn’t harm developers’.

Do you shop at Gamestop or a European game retailer? Do you feel pressure to pre-order or trade-in games while shopping? Let us know below.

Thanks GI.Biz.

1. Fin

The constant push for preowned whenever you buy anything in a games retailer is ridiculous.

I was buying a PSN voucher recently:
    “You can’t trade this in, but you know you can trade in all your old games to us?”
    FUCK. OFF.

2. Hirmetrium

My friend works at Gamestation, and he says that they have sales targets for deposits, preorders, pre-owned sales, etc… I figured it was exactly like any other retailer.

Of course, they realise that to achieve these goals they have to cater to customers too.

3. mojo

10th-worst place to work at, THE worst place to buy from.

4. Stavrosmct

Where do I send my CV ?

5. onefivefive

The main reason I stopped shopping there was because whenever I tried to buy a new game I’d be advised numerous times that I should buy the preowned version instead. On more than one occasion I was even criticised for purchasing the new copy.

6. viralshag

In the UK I think it’s very dependant on what your local store is like. I know a lot of people have an issue with GAME but my local store has been there for years way back to when it was an EB store, and there has always been a decent set of staff working there.

7. FrankieDF

I work at gamestop and I can confirm that conditions are rather horrid at times.

Due to the “Oh man it would be so cool to work in a game store!” idea many people seem to have the stores get flooded with applicants all the time. The company uses this as an excuse to do a few things.

Give REALLY shitty raises (21 cents was considered a huge raise for my boss)
    Promote people without pay increase.
    Tell us ALL THE TIME how easy it would be to replace us. “We could replace you tomorrow if we wanted to, so you better etc etc etc.”

We had someone from the corporate office come by to see why our numbers had dipped and give us some advice. Instead, she spent an hour telling us how awful we were at our jobs (despite me actually getting numbers one after another right in front of her). She told us it was our fault that the store has low traffic, despite it being non visible from the street, having incorrect information on google maps, having no sign on the strip center corner sign, and being in a strip center with low draw.

She told me when I told her about this that a good employee would take the initiative on their own to make their own signs and fliers, with their own time and money, and go put them up.

Ugh. There is more but it just makes me mad.

8. ManuOtaku

Reading the comments, and seeing how bad it is, now i wonder which companies came in the top nine?

9. OlderGamer

I went to my local Gamestop this weekend, and I left wondering why I went in to begin with. I can do so much digitaly.

10. Phoenixblight

I have been buying my games from Amazon with the use of Amazon prime for two years now. I used to go to Gamestop but whenever I would buy a game they would push the preowned and also push gameinformer subscription along with their card system. It was just too much to deal with especially since they would continue to push it after I had said no. No one likes repeating themselves.

11. Dragon246

Used game sales can just die along with leaching middlemen like gamestop. Digital rocks.
    I am willing to hear from employee of the numbero uno company of this list.

12. DontLookNow

Coming from someone on the inside, I would like to clear up a few misconceptions.
    1) You can cancel a pre order anytime you want to, before and after release day, however you paid. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Our laid back attitude about cancellations at my location is exactly why my customers love shopping at my store.And no, I won’t pressure you to reserve something else. I may ask why you cancelled, but that’s more for me to better myself for future interactions with my customers. No one is obligated to answer, but I’m a nice enough guy that folks are okay with being honest with me.
    2) We have a free PowerUp card. My store is top in my district in giving ‘em out. The number of free cards we give out does not affect our rank. Paid cards do. I don’t give a damn. If I think your going to get more with the free card vs. the paid one, I’ll suggest the free one. If I think you’ll benefit more from the paid card, I’ll suggest it and explain why, with zero pressure. Almost everyone walks out with the free card, and many come back to upgrade over time, because they find themselves enjoying the experience at my store, and would like to save more money.
    3) Pre-owned, as a culture, is great for the industry. Most of my customers who trade in their games do so towards new games. The only time I recommend a pre owned over new is if a customer is buying a game for their kid, or is unfamiliar with the title. I recommend pre owned in these circumstances because of our no-questions-asked 7-day return policy. If you don’t like the game, you can return it. The same does not hold true for new games. And yes, if you want to return it after 7 days for a different game, I really don’t care. It doesn’t affect my bottom line and I’d rather make my customer happy than follow a policy to the letter.
    4) No, my employees at my store are not allowed to check out new games. They may only check out pre owned games.
    5) Yes, I will sell you a game on release day if I have enough non-reserved copies, even if you didn’t reserve it. And I will gladly do so. If you purchase from me a game that you did reserve, I will thank you for your business and your help in ensuring that my store is properly allocated the appropriate number of copies for that title.

TL;DR:

I like helping people, and believe that if I give you the service you want, you’ll support my store of your own accord and not because I forced you to.