Cyberpunk ‘as mature as Witcher and just as brutal’ – CD Projekt RED

Thursday, 9th August 2012 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Cyberpunk is the next game from CD Projekt RED, taking the studio’s mastery of the RPG genre and plonking it in a futuristic sci-fi dystopia. Don’t go expecting colourful lasers, pink rifles and green-suited supermen, this is going to be a gritty take on sci-fi.

Speaking with VG247, CD Projekt RED’s Konrad Tomaszkiewicz discussed why the studio went sci-fi, “The choice of the game universe was easy. We still wanted to create games designed for the grown-up gamer, and Cyberpunk is the perfect setting which allows us to touch other important themes than those in The Witcher, because of its fantasy setting.”

“What you can expect from Cyberpunk is that it will be as mature as The Witcher and set in a realistic and brutal world.”

Creator of the original Cyberpunk RPG Mike Pondsmith has given CD Projekt RED his blessing. Tomaszkiewicz says he, “Likes our vision of the game and he cooperates with the Cyberpunk team a lot. Not so long ago, we answered some questions of our Witcher community about the new project. You can find the answers here.”

Check out our full CD Projekt RED interview here.

1. Edo

I have very high hopes for this one,it’s a shame it’s not coming out till 2014(or maybe even 2015) :( .

2. TheWulf

Except the problem with The Witcher is that it wasn’t very mature at all. The books weren’t either, in truth, but the game was even less so. And it did a lot to pander to the misogyny and childishness of gamers in order to sell well. There were some good stories in there, don’t get me wrong. Especially in the first one…

But they pander a lot. They pander so much that it gets in the way of the artistic vision of their own creative team, and this upsets me. They pander so much that they replaced the ugly Geralt of The Witcher 2 with a pretty one just because the xenophobic dickbags that they call fans couldn’t stand the mere notion of playing someone that disfigured.

Bioware wasn’t much better with Dragon Age though, with its ‘in yo face’ attitudes and blood spatter everywhere. So that was pandering to a more childish audience, too. Mass Effect was admittedly miles better in that it dealt with ethics and philosophy, but neither of them really have the crown for being mature.

Bethesda can’t even put together a cohesive story, so they’re out. But I suppose it could be argued that story isn’t the point of Bethesda games, and I won’t argue that point because the person arguing with me might be right.

So Obsidian remains at the top of the pile. My gold standard for how you handle a genuinely mature RPG is Mask of the Betrayer. A game that dealt (in a grown-up way) with ethics, philosophy, and proper feels. And by proper feels I don’t just mean hormones. I’m sorry but I don’t class ‘OMG BOOBIES’ as proper feels.

And is it wrong to want to see games tackle ethics, philosophy, and emotions in the way that Obsidian have? They continued that trend with New Vegas, where they threw some damned hard choices at you. The choice of Lily and her medicine, the choice of Vault 34, the choice of the future of the wastes. It wasn’t quite to the standard of Mask of the Betrayer, but it still dealt with emotions, philosophy, and ethics.

To be a properly mature (as opposed to ‘mature’) game, you need to deal with topics which actually make you think and feel. But I think that most of the stuff in most of CDProjekt RED’s and Bioware’s stuff would insult a prepubescent. They could both really learn a lot from Obsidian.

I’d hold Troika as part of my gold standard, too, after The Masquerade. But they no longer exist, so there’s little point in that. They do count, though. I just wanted to say that because if any Troika fans got upset at me over that, they’d be rightly upset. And Troika, due to The Masquerade, looked like they could give Obsidian some competition.

Mass Effect came so close at times… but even the worst Obsidian games still soar over it.

Sigh.

I would really love to see more competitors for true maturity, rather than the kind of maturity that warrants an 18+ rating (blood and boobies). I want ethics, philosophy, and feels in my games. I’m a grown-up, and I’m still looking for developers who’ll treat me like one. The Witcher, for the most part, did not.

Like I said, there WERE some good stories in The Witcher which DID deal with ethics, philosophy, and feels… but it was drowned under a nigh-endless sea of ‘OMG BOOBIES’ and ‘HNNNNG VIOLENCE.’

The sad truth is that even an MMORPG out there has dealt with ethics and philosophy. Yeah, Guild Wars and 2. The charr – specifically. I’m not sure why they picked the charr to be the race for grown-ups in that game, but… I appreciate it. Anyway, the charr have this storied past, and part of that was the fight for gender equality. The reason the charr have that now, the reason the men and women wear the same armour, the reason the women aren’t sexualised at all, is because the charr went through a cultural revolution.

The charr are more interesting, from an ethics and philosophy standpoint, than anything in Dragon Age or The Witcher. And that’s kind of sad, really, because usually the writing of an MMORPG is supposed to be worse than that of single-player RPGs.

But that’s just not the case.

So… I’ll leave you all to your boobies and violence, and I’ll just sit here and continue to hope for more RPG developers who’ll be brave enough to treat me like I’m a creature with even a tiny amount of intellect.

3. Gadzooks!

#2

Boy, you sure talk a load of old shite.

4. viralshag

Yeah, because heads literally exploding and limbs flying off in New Vegas is so much more mature…

5. DSB

And Alpha Protocol wasn’t full of gratuitous violence, meek women begging for rescue or pushed up East German milf-tits for you to motorboat, given that you make the right choices.

It has to feel pretty cozy to just willfully ignore every obvious thing, that goes against your own sheltered way of thinking though. Good for you, Wulf.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

I dunno Wulf, what you’re saying is you have grown to love Guild Wars 2, just put a ring on it and marry the damn thing. It has become quite a cliche with you. You always right a novel on a subject to get to how amazing and awesome and great Guild Wars 2 is and in fact that is something I can’t quite understand, even if you were to conduct a well worded comment on Pro Evolution Soccer it would end in expression of your feeling about Guild Wars 2.

As someone who played a lot of these games and has strong opinions on most of them being a positive one or a negative one, the way you’re behaving strikes me as a more childish act that anything you yourself trying to explain. Lately whenever I read your comments feels like watching the Iranian national TV. Ironically it’s all about propaganda, it’s all about promoting your ideology exactly the way the Islamic regime of Iran does, full of exaggerations, devoid of evidence and based on what your cult is at core. You talk like them as if you’re right about everything that’s going on in the universe. You talk like them as if when the universe was built you have placed the cornerstone all by yourself and no one were there to say otherwise and that basically gives you the rights to call everyone in disagreement, dickbags or similar slangs you sometimes describe the opposed opinion, Just like the Islamic regime of Iran who calls people with different ideals and political, social and religious views “جریان انحرافی” which stands for something like the ‘deviated flow’ from the ideology that is Islamic Republic.

That’s what makes me less and less interested in you, your comments and your cult. Come to think of it the way you promote your propaganda automatically makes me want to oppose you because you remind me of all the feelings I have toward my country, it’s repulsive.

7. Fnoros

All I want to know is, what is up with the mullet and gaudy blue leopard print jacket the guy in the picture has? does the game take place in an alternate universe where culture never advanced past the 1970′s?

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 80s I think, 80′s FTW.

9. viralshag

@6, speak the truth brother. Couldn’t be put better to be honest.

10. stretch215