Star Wars 1313 is ‘mature, not for psychopaths’ – Lucasarts talks violence

Tuesday, 7th August 2012 13:12 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Wars 1313 developer Lucasarts has discussed the topic of violence in games, particularly when photorealism is involved, calling its game both ‘mature’ and ‘not for psychopaths’.

Speaking with OXM, Star Wars 1313 creative director Dominic Robilliard stressed the connection between realism and the issue of violence.

Robillard explained, “When you can render characters that look like the ones in our game – and other games – you get to this realism level where you really don’t want to encourage that kind of thing. Seeing that kind of reaction from gamers. It may well be human nature, but you don’t want to put content out there that pushes those buttons.”

“We had a lot of questions from people saying: mature Star Wars?” Robilliard continued, “Does that mean we’re going to see blood and guts all over the place? That’s not it at all – it’s not what we’re shooting for. I don’t think that would ever fit in Star Wars, really.”

Star Wars 1313 VFX supervisor Kim Libreri added. “It’s for adults, not for psychopaths.”

Does realism gives rise to making people violent? Speak your mind below.

1. Mineral4r7s

facedesk in all regards.

I have been playing video games since I was 4, and I have been playing games like quake and doom since I was 6 and I never got in a fight, thought about murdering someone with a knife nor did I ever commit any act of violence. What does this prove? Its not the game, its the environment.

And thats why all I can say to that topic is facedesk.

How old am I now? Way above the legal age restriction for violent games.

Nuff said.

2. Beta

In a word, No. Games do not make people violent, Not ashamed to admit that I was playing GTA well below the legal age limit and I’ve never attacked anyone, stolen a car or robbed a store in real life nor would I ever want to.

If a game tempts you to become a criminal then you’re obviously insane in the first place and should really be under surveillance in a locked ward..

3. daytripper

Can’t wait to see more of this game

4. PEYJ

It is not whether one commits crime or not. It’s about giving you or not giving you the opportunity to explore your dark sides (nothing to do with Star Wars by the way) or not. Especially for kids and youngsters. Dominic and Kim are right.

5. roadkill

Then it’s not really mature isn’t it? I mean if it doesn’t contain blood and guts. What’s wrong with blood and guts in games anyway?

6. Puggy

So only blood and guts can make a game mature?

And one should not ask what is wrong with blood and guts in game, but rather, “Why do I want to see that in a game”? If your answer is either “because if it cool!” or because “I want to” …. you make up your own mind about that one.

And yeah I know, I said blood and guts way too many times in this post.