New Super Mario Bros. 2 ‘took 46 minutes to download’ – Report

Tuesday, 7th August 2012 11:55 GMT By Dave Cook

New Super Mario Bros. 2 leads Nintendo’s approach to dispensing full retail games via the 3DS eSHop. However, the game has taken Siliconera 46 minutes to download, and it’s only 340MB.

Siliconera has analysed the file and block size of New Super Mario Bros. 2, as well as download speed.

The site reports, “It took 46 minutes and 23 seconds to get New Super Mario Bros. 2. This test was done with a US region 3DS and a US code for the game, which comes out in North America on August 19. New Super Mario Bros. 2 clocks in at 2,725 blocks or 340 MB.”

Take this with a pinch of salt however, as Siliconera hasn’t divulged what download speeds it was hitting during the transfer.

Full retail games as downloads isn’t exactly new to the industry, but it is new to Nintendo 3DS, and could open up to a flourishing marketplace going forward.

1. Timurse

Oh that’s just ok. I had my PS3 updates (200-800Mb) done in 2-5 hours with 20Mbps internet.
    I don’t want to troll or flame but my Games on Demand from Xbox Live are always downloading really fast. Like 7Gb in 1-1.5 hours.

2. DrDamn

Live has tended to have a significant advantage over PSN speed wise. Though recently I’ve been getting some much better speeds on PSN – at least when it’s not so busy. OS updates tend to be busy and crawl. For example I downloaded 11Gb Dead Space 2 in less than an hour on PSN the other day. Must have been getting about 30-40Mb/s. I had to wait nearly as long for the bleedin install :D

I went back to VM for speed reasons, could only get 7Mb/s through the phone and am now on 60Mb/s with VM. Want to go digital as far as possible with the next gen and a decent internet speed is important for that.

3. Da Man

There’s too much life in it, which is why it’s so heavy. It’s not just binary files in there.

4. FrankieDF

Wireless or wired connection?

Its weird, because sometimes when wireless on psn my downloads would suck, but I recently went to a wired connection and now I can download a 2GB game in less than 15 minutes, often closer to 10.

5. OlderGamer

I had been trying to tell people that Frankie. Esp with PS3, my wireless was crazy slow, pop in a cord and it keeps up with xb360. Wired is a big plus, imo.