Wii U ‘Offers deeper experiences, unique multiplayer’ – Iwata

Thursday, 2nd August 2012 11:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U has been highlighted in Nintendo’s annual financial report, in which Nintendo president Satoru Iwata explains just why the Wii U is going to be a success. Deeper experiences, new forms of entertainment and unmatched multiplayer are just some of the reasons mentioned.

Iwata explained, “We plan to release the Wii U system, the successor of Wii, in the year-end sales season of 2012.”

“Wii U has a new controller named the Wii U GamePad with a 6.2 inch touchscreen. With the combination of the Wii U GamePad and a TV screen, players can enjoy gameplay that takes advantage of two screens whose positional relationship is not fixed.”

Iwata also discussed Wii U multiplayer and the issue of control, “Also, for multi-player games, Wii U makes asymmetric gameplay possible, which means the role of a player using the Wii U GamePad is different from the other players using the conventional Wii Remote controllers.”

“In this way, we will propose deeper game experiences and new entertainment that people have never had the opportunity to enjoy before.”

Thanks ONM

1. DrDamn

Blimey. That’s someone explaining exactly what Wii-U does which distinguishes itself and the advantages of it in a nice succinct way.

2. ManuOtaku

And for me this is the most important aspect of the gamepad, i think nintendo needs to show the way with their own games, and nintendo land i think is a glympse like wii sports was on the wii, now i wonder what they can do with this in smash brothers and mario kart?, in the multiplayer asymetric aspect.

3. DrDamn

I think asymmetric gameplay would feel shoehorned in titles like Smash Brothers and Mario Kart. I’d prefer the effort was put in to new and unique titles which can approach from a fresh and free angle.

4. ManuOtaku

#3 i agree, lets wait and see.

5. absolutezero

I actually think that ZombiU might come away being the game to showcase the controller better than any of Nintendo launch games. It really does look like a really fresh take on something thats done to death already.

6. ManuOtaku

#5 i agree ZombiU looks pretty interesting, but i think nintendo land in the same way as wii sports before it, it will show the multiple uses for the gamepad, and for that it will demostrate in a strong way the new gameplay within diffirent styles.

7. absolutezero

Wii Sports was really just a series of tech demos showcasing each part of the motion controls, easy conferance of ideas.

ZombiU seems to be a coherent brilliant tool to convey the various aspects of what the hardware is capable of within the context of an actual game instead of a series of mini-games.

Hopefully it will show other developers ideas about how to approach using the system differently, something that never really happened with the Wii.

8. ManuOtaku

#7 ok i got you, and i do agree.

9. Telepathic.Geometry

I get the feeling that a good Metroid game could really exploit the shit out of the controller…

10. OlderGamer

I think a lot of games could TG, and that is what has me excited about the system. Graphics don’t bother me, todays graphics are nice enough for me. Online doesn’t bother me, I stoped playing console games online with any regularity a couple years back(don’t miss em). I won’t miss most 3rd party games, I don’t like most of the big name multi plat franchise games anyways.

The three keys to WiiU(for me) are simple.

Unique gameplay experiences.
    Same room Multiplayer.
    1st party games.

If there is a fourth, it would be price point.

I Nintendo delivers on the above, I will be a happy WiiU owner.

11. Telepathic.Geometry

@OlderGamer: I kinda agree with you in principle, but I like my friends list and my trophies, and I cannot forgive the lack of GC BC (they obviously wanna sell us all of these games again) and HD upscaling.

In other words, the Wii was always a lock for me, but the Wii U is going to have to work harder. My GC and Wii games together just barely justify the cost of my Wii, but my PS3 has a whole fucking raft of excellent games.

3rd Party Ninty!!! Do something!

12. absolutezero

Nintendo are going to have to do a shitload of work to make back alot of Metroid fans.

I don’t really need another Prime game. Imagine a sprite based Metroid where the level of detail is similar to Persona 4 Arena or KoF XIII. Environments, everything full-on full scale Metroid title.

Imagine… sniff.

13. ManuOtaku

#12 Telepathic i do agree and understand your feelings, but i think this time they will have more third party support for a lot of factors, because is scalable with current and upcoming programs like UE4 ,cryengine3 etc, and because games will be easier to port with low costs,the physical format use this time, and the improving online, etc, therefore i think it will fare a lot better than the Wii and Gamecube before it.

#13 man now i have to live waiting for something like that to happen, if this page would support a dislike button i would had click it 8P

14. DrDamn

What are you wanting from HD Upscaling – your TV will do that, or do you want the games re-rendered at the higher resolution? That’s not been done before – aside from PC emulators – and to work well would need some forethought in the original games.

15. polygem

i would´ve loved GC BC too but it´s not too bad. i just keep my red wii for the GC games…i like the look of that thing, i wont get much for it if i´d trade it in and it is tiny anway.
    i cannot wait for the wii u. third party support seems to be much better this time around. the pad has huge potential and i could not agree more with # 9!