Diana’s death is a catalyst for Agent 47′s actions in Hitman: Absolution

Saturday, 28th July 2012 21:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Hitman: Absolution director Tore Blystad has said killing Agent 47′s handler Diana Burnwood was a “really big,” and “tough” decision for the team to make and it required a lot of going back and forth.

Speaking with OPM, Blystad said there were many strong emotions regarding the decision, but despite many at IO Interactive feeling “really sorry” that she had to die, the team needed a catalyst for Agent 47′s actions in the game.

“To bring emotion to a character like 47 there needs [to be] something really devastating to kind of shake him up. It was a tough decision,” said Blystad. “If you look at him, he’s always been told what to do, been more on other people’s missions [than his own]. So making this his game and about his decisions – enabling him to create the briefings on his own instead of having someone tell him what to do all the time – was the starting point, because then it would feel like the player was a bigger part of creating the story.

“And this emotional side is very closely attached to that. For him to have a reason to do something, there needs to be some sort of emotion behind it.”

Game’s out worldwide on November 20 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Talkar

You spoiled DIANAS DEATH IN A HEADLINE! Seriously you DON’T spoil the death of such an important character no matter how early in the game it is, and certainly not in the title! I’m very displeased!

2. KAP

Oh get over it mate. Your still getting this game.
    Oh by the way Darth Vadar is Luke Skywalkers father. Just saying…

3. Talkar

Yes i’m still getting the game, but a spoiler is a spoiler. It completely ruins this moment for me when it happens ingame. I won’t have an “Oh sh*t what just happened?!?!” moment. I’ll have an “i knew that” moment. And that just sucks, and reduces the experience.
    As you may know, gaming is all about the experience. and in a game where there is only single player the amount of which the enjoyability on the first playthrough is significantly reduced when you know what is happening. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, and you may lack empathy but in that case i advise you to just not say anything instead of trolling.

4. DSB

But the trailer already shows him killing his way to her in the shower.

Is he worried that she isn’t using enough shampoo? And if so, what’s the silenced pistol for?

5. Talkar

The trailer shows a red haired woman. In Hitman Contracts, at the end, you can notice Diana if you pay attention to detail, and there she has black hair. In Blood Money she also has black hair, so we really didn’t, and still don’t know if the woman he is about to kill in the trailer is Diana. Yes i’m a huge Hitman fan, and that is why i find it despicable to have a major plot spoiled in the title.

6. stretch215

Diana’s death has already been “spoiled” in other articles. Calm down.

7. Talkar

Which is why i avoid articles for a game i anticipate, but a title isn’t really something you can avoid while scrolling down the site. I didn’t see them posting the ending of ME3 in the titles when that had been leaked, why is this any different? But by your logic if anything regarding HL3 is leaked like say Gordon Freeman dies in it, then it is actually okay for me to post it all over this site. Good to know.

8. DSB

It is Diana in the shower, in the trailer.

The name of the trailer is “A Personal Contract”.

A quick Google search will bring up a lot more than that.

I guess if you didn’t think about that, it would be a spoiler. And maybe it doesn’t belong in the headline, but just like the Batman controversy before it, this is stuff that is coming from the studio, and guys like VG247 are just reporting on it, because that’s what they do.

I can’t say I understand Square’s PR strategy. Actively buying TV spots and hyping the game 6 months before release? Too much money, and too little sense in my opinion.

9. Talkar

The idea of “Well we are just reporting what we’re told” is just the lazy mans method to working. A sensible person would look at the material the have and think “Okay, i’ve got this stuff, can this be categorized as a major spoiler? If so maaaaybe i shouldn’t shove it into peoples faces” Yes i also blame Squares PR for this, but i also blame VG247 for actually just mindlessly following suit. I may be overreacting, frankly i don’t really care. All i know is that i love the hitman series, and i’ve gone through extensive precautions to avoid spoilers in any and all of the games, so this is as i’ve already pointed out something i just can’t see how it can be justified…

10. RandomTiger

I agree with Talkar on this one, there’s no need to force spoilers on article headlines.

11. OrbitMonkey

Fuck sake VG247, spoiling something I knew months back with the 1st video released? For shame!!

Title should have read “The death of someone close to…” with a HUGE spoiler warning for those who haven’t been paying attention :-)

12. KAP

In every developer interview of this game they state the demise of Diana so chances are she probably isn’t really dead come end of the game… Maybe not.

13. OrbitMonkey

^ Like Dallas? Diana will step out the shower and it’ll have all been a dream? That would be kinda cheap…

14. G1GAHURTZ

^ Oooooh! Somebody’s showing their age…

Lol!

15. OrbitMonkey

^ I don’t know what your talking about… Though that could be senility setting in :-)

16. Noodlemanny

I’ve played pretty much all of the Hitman games, although I’ve only completed Blood Money, and I don’t even recognise this women, let alone care if she gets killed. She’s just a voice at the end of a mike telling me to do shit and so I hold no emotional attachment to her. Do you even meet her in person? I can’t see how I could possibly be missing out on a beautiful relationship because whenever I’ve played Hitman it seems to be a string of hits loosely strung together by a background overarching storing-line. Its the assassinations and doing the deed silently with no evidence that engages me, not some conspiracy theory storyline and especially not some women I’ve never even properly met. But perhaps I’ve just not been paying attention…