EA: next-gen consoles out “probably starting next year”

Friday, 20th July 2012 11:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

EA CEO John Riccitiello has said he’s expecting full next-gen console reveals in 2013.

The exec, speaking of EA stock troubles in a CNBC interview, said: “A major catalyst going forward, and the most important catalyst going forward is visibility on next-generation console, because that NPD data – that minus 10-25% that you’ve been seeing – that can and should be reversed out and some point, probably starting next year.”

The comment means Riccitiello expects NPD to be tracking physical next-generation console sales in the US in 2013.

General expectations are that the next Xbox and PlayStation consoles will be announced at or around E3 next year.

1. Erthazus

Well it should be because current gen consoles are not old. they are ANCIENT.

Some 99$ OUYA console is more powerful than crappy 200$ pieces of garbage that can’t do shit.

Prime example: Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Crystal tools that were developed for PS3. Game can’t do even 25 frames per second…

2. GrimRita

I really think that both Sony and Microsoft have a tough job on their hands. Since the launch of their consoles, gaming has changed and moved on to a variety of platforms.

But the bigger questions are – can developers afford to develop on next gen when some struggle on current gen? Can joe public actually afford to purchase next gen and probably a higher cost for those games given the current economic situation?

3. Erthazus

@2, i seriously don’t give a F. about next gen because Sony and Microsoft can’t do their shit right, at least they need to make machines that can do this Generation right with decent specs.

I don’t play games in 720p resolution with lower than 40-50 frames per second. Something like 30 frames per second and it hurts.

My games are 60+ FPS with 2560×1660 resolution with AA and other fancy stuff, but current gen is ancient.

4. KAP

Regardless of what people are saying about this subject the gaming industry NEEDS a new platform on both fronts now, ask GAME ltd etc.. they cant survive without new hardware now. Plain and simple.

I for one dont care for a next gen because I’m happy with whats underneath my TV right now and titles I’m playing but it goes without saying this gen is not without its issues.

2013 will most likely be time to announce new hardware, and theres nothing wrong with that.

5. Deacon

I’m playing through FFXIII-2 right now on PS3, and apart from being probably the best looking game I’ve played this gen, the framerate is pretty solid for the most part.

Who honestly gives a fuck about the figures all the time the playing experience doesn’t suffer? Do I care if it’s running at 45fps, 50fps, 60fps? NO. Anything over 30fps is perfectly playable and unless we’re talking about a game that requires split-second reactions it really doesn’t mean a thing.

You really don’t need to post the same shit in every next-gen related thread Erth.

6. Erthazus

@5, Pretty solid?
    What? LOL?
    Go to the Steppes and experience 18-25 frames per second.

It’s not solid. It’s horrible and it’s not just that. Even crappy looking locations like Yaschas Massif have frame rate drops.

“it really doesn’t mean a thing.”

sorry, but that’s bullshit because Frames per second matters and means A LOT. That’s not just some random numbers for geeks.

“Anything over 30fps is perfectly playable”

If only that was true because Ps3 can’t play AAA titles for more than 30 frames per second and your eyes in the end suffer if it is lower than 30 frames per second.
    Call Of duty with it’s crappy 1999 year old upgraded engine is probably the only game that do 50+ FPS.

7. DrDamn

“Some People play Starcraft II for 120 frames per second for your information and there is a reason why they do it.”

GPU cock waving?

8. Erthazus

@7, “GPU cock waving?”

Nope. Guys that play Cybersport a lot requires precision and they play a lot every day. 120 frames per second is a perfect sync for your eyes.

Starcraft II is not known for crazy visuals but with current cards you can do 120 frames per second in 1080p without a problem.

GTX 690 can do 120 frames per second with SCII in 2560×1660 resolution.

9. Deacon

Unless you’re hung up on shit like this which we all know you are, it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. Dark Souls is another game I rave about this gen. Fantastic. Give a fuck if it stutters a bit at certain locations.

#2 raises some very valid points. A lot of you are sweating desperately in anticipation for the next gen, but I think it’ll hurt the industry more than help it should we jump into it too soon.

If you want to ensure you get your ’60+ FPS with 2560×1660 resolution’ then stick to your l33t PC and stop beating down on people who are doing amazing things with somewhat archaic hardware. We’d all miss your posts I’m sure.

10. Gadzooks!

Yay! More of the same boring irrelevant clueless PC elitist shit from that moron Erthazus.

Lets get BDH and OG in here for a full compliment of cock-wavers. Thats bound to be a fun time.

#9

Full agreement. Dark Souls is sometimes juddery, but consistently brilliant.

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>> Resolution and framerate, every single time without exception.

11. Kabby

“120 frames per second is a perfect sync for your eyes.”

Yeah man those vsync’ing eyeballs are a bitch.

12. Erthazus

@Deacon, “Unless you’re hung up on shit like this which we all know you are”

We, who? You? Don’t speak for everybody. Ok?

“I’m more concerned about the lack of innovation than counting frames per second. But each to their own I guess.”

Play indie games. There is innovation. This thread is about EA and Next Generation, not innovation and other off-topic.

“If you want to ensure you get your ’60+ FPS with 2560×1660 resolution’ then stick to your l33t PC ”

I never said that consoles should have that resolution, all i said that Console manufacturers need to move forward because currently we have ancient machines.

For 300$ i don’t expect over 9000 resolution with 100 frames per second, but this is different. Games in 2012 on consoles just can’t do their stuff right anymore.

@10, i’m waiting for BattleTag and your character from WoW because you lie too much.
    You are the only one who is elitist here and huge liar.

13. Maxey

Hey Erthazus, why don’t you move your ass to Rock Paper Shotgun and comment in there instead, seeing as it’s also full of cynical PC elitist snobs who also love to comment all day about how consoles are shit and how PC gamers are the absolute peak of human evolution or something too.

14. Erthazus

@13, Hey, Maxey, how about you grow your balls and start commenting on the thread or move yor ass to other site aswell? If you don’t like my comments you can simply ignore them.
    right now, i’m commenting about next generation which is this thread is about.

Also, consoles are not shit. But their hardware is ancient and it is time to move forward for everyone. PC, consoles, whatever.

15. Deacon

“Games in 2012 on consoles just can’t do their stuff right anymore.”

Why the hell are you clearly still playing and supporting them then??

Do you not agree that GAMEPLAY is more important than all those technical aspect you go on about so much? Gadzooks has it right.

I could understand your point if the games weren’t playable (and some of them hugely enjoyable).

I fear we’re going nowhere, and come next gen you’ll still be moaning because consoles can’t produce the same high-end numbers that PC’s can.

Bugger me we all managed to enjoy ourselves immensely during PS1 & 2 times didn’t we?? Why does everything now have to be up to your lofty standards to be anything more than shit?

In fact forget that. I’m just making things worse..

.. chin up Erth. I love you really x

16. G1GAHURTZ

Let’s start an e-petition to make Erthazus Head of Technology at MS or Sony!

I’d like to see what sort of success his über-console could deliver…

It’d probably cost about $5999!

17. Gama_888

@12 no he means you Erth, You are the one that is retardedly hung up on shit like frame rate, pixel count, anti-aliasing blah blah blahh.

Just in this thread youv said,
    “i dont give a shit about next gen” then fuckoff and stop posting in EVERY thread about them.

“I don’t play games in 720p resolution with lower than 40-50 frames per second.”

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
    You need a new hobby kid, gaming clearly isnt your thing, maybe you should try leaving your mothers basement and go look at a tree, I shit you not in real life its like 4096 x 3072, 240 fps with 8x AA, Its amazing…..

Anyhooo i thought we all allready knew that next gen would start next year???
    Riccitiello just making news by stating the obvious?? :P

18. viralshag

@15, I’m with you. I have a gaming PC but my consoles still get love and easily bring me hours of entertainment.

19. Maxey

If it was a simple matter of ignoring you, then everyone would do it and all the comments sections where you post at wouldn’t be monopolized by your bullshit.

Everyone here is aware the consoles’ hardware are pretty outdated by this point but you always have to remind us of that every damn time. Let it go man. Honestly, I think you mostly use the opportunity to keep shoving on our faces how beastly your PC is. Guess what, no one gives a shit but you.

You are a joke on this site. The moment I see an article relating about graphics, I just know I will read a comment of yours in there, either about how much more powerful PCs are than consoles or how shitty the graphics are because of consoles and how it is keeping back PC graphics. And then posts from other users making fun of you. And you happily ignore that last part and keep on doing your thing.

Are you starting to understand the issue here or do I need to draw it for you?

20. Gadzooks!

I dont give a damn whether a nasty piece of shit like you believes the truth or not. You are nothing, nobody. I don’t need your verification, I don’t even want it!

21. ASBI

LOL!

can you see how developers ignore the Wii-U?

22. DrDamn

Erth wrote:
    “… crappy 200$ pieces of garbage that can’t do shit.”

then a bit later

“Also, consoles are not shit.”

Even you don’t agree with you.

23. RandomTiger

#16 That’s the point though isn’t it, very few people would fork out for a console that powerful, if anything its going the other way. The Wii won this gen and MS is experimenting with subscription in order to be able to offer consoles for $99.

I’m up for a new gen, though I’d prefer to see more developer money go into story, script and gameplay than chasing diminishing returns in graphics.

24. Deacon

Back on topic, I think we’re all expecting a full reveal of both major consoles next year. It’s when they’re going to be sitting under our TV’s that is still a mystery.

If anyone’s learnt anything from the last few years it has to be NOT to release your new hardware until you have a solid stream of software to keep the momentum going. Otherwise, early adopters will be punished and sales will stagnate. I’d love to see a Christmas 2014 release for both Sony and MS. A FULL ON, balls-to-the-wall, fanfare. At least 20 TRUE next gen titles available on release.

Optimistic much???

@22 my first lol of the day :) thank you sir

25. Erthazus

@15, “Why the hell are you clearly still playing and supporting them then??”

Because there is no alternative. I’m the same person like you who like Final Fantasy games and console experiences too. You said you are a Squre Enix Fan, well woop di doop, i like some of their games too.
    But if i had at least ports of these games on my PC i would never return to my PS3.

simple answer i think. I don’t ask billion polygons or something. FFXIII-2 looks already good. It’s probably the only decent title on the PS3 that have amazing grass. Lol XD
    But frame rate issues are just ugghh… My eyes! :D

@17, “Lol, Then im sure you have missed a whole lot from this generation, seriously though, choosing not to play what could be a great game, simply for the fact that it doesn’t meet your graphical standards is retarded.”

I don’t play games that are on the PC that have that resolution and frame rate issues but i still play on consoles and i don’t miss on great games.

26. Gama_888

@19 lol he is a joke on this site, iv seen numerous threads where someone will post “Erthazus incoming”

I think hes just mad that his $1000+ Pc isn’t getting as much usage as our sub par 7 year old $300 systems.

27. Fin

If not being able to play at 2500xA MILLION AT120FPS AND 16XMSAA WITH TRIPLE BUFFERING AND SSAO seriously impacts you enjoying a game, maybe it’s time to find a new hobby.

28. viralshag

@27, My console does all of the above. Boom!

29. Gadzooks!

#24

I’ve a feeling that either multi-gen sku’s or ‘forward compatible’ games will be the norm for a year or two on next-gen release, to make a smoother transition than last-to-this gen.

Sony should be able to accomodate gen-spanning gaming with Gaikai and MS and Ninty should be providing BC.

Of course that could delay the full potential of next gen hardware being fully utilised, but what we would like needs to be balanced against what is good for the industry.

Ultimately as long as great games come out I’ll keep playing them. Some corkers are due out this year and early next year so I’m happy.

30. Deacon

@25 if you had ports of recent FF games on your PC you’d complain (at length no doubt) that they’re shitty console ports not optimized for PC!

It’s ok though. I bitch and whine constantly about the state of this planet and the disgusting creatures that inhabit it. Hating’s fun, I get it, I’m on board.

@Gadzooks – yeah, that may seem a cop-out for some, but I like the idea of a soft transition from this gen to next. I hadn’t really given ‘forward compatibility’ much thought, but that would be a great way to mask or at least distract from the lack of content on a new system.

It’s funny because my Bro keeps banging on about backwards compatibility for the next gen, and I keep asking him how many of his original Xbox games does he ACTUALLY play on his 360.. little to none I think.
    When I buy into the next gen – whichever side of the fence I fall on – I want next gen games. I’ll not immediately sell my PS3, so I can still play all of those games should I want to, but with a new shiny box in the house I’d be a little disappointed if I was sitting there still playing last-gen games on it.
    Still, it definitely wouldn’t hurt to have the capability.

31. Len

Erth, I thought you had a 27′ Ultrasharp – they only go up to 2560 x 1440?

And even the 30′ only do 2560 x 1600 (which I have – oooh bf…yum) so where are you getting 2560 x 1660 from?

32. Maxey

#24 assuming they’d learn from their past mistakes, you’d have reason to be optimistic but no, they’ll rush their launch, as always, and provide us hardware with just a few new games to show for it.

This is why it’s never a good idea to buy brand new hardware at launch.

33. ManuOtaku

I got the feeling that Microsoft and Sony will be delivering their next gen consoles for the next year, sooner rather than later, it will be not a good move, business wise, to let the WiiU a two year head start, even if they are not directly competing with Nintendo and/ or Nintendo is not direclty competing with them, for various reasons, they will have more room for a price cut, they will have more room to show interesting ideas with the controller that can attrack more consumers, etc, for that i think next year will be a sweet spot for both of them.

34. OrbitMonkey

Next gen… Paying £300 for a console that’ll be a half more *powerful* than your £200 now gen machine.

35. ManuOtaku

#34 true, but i think this gen with the wii was worse, at least the WiiU will be more powerfull than current gen, how much we dont know yet, but if technical especifications released are to be believed, and i mean the 1080p spec, then it will be for sure an step further than the wii, which was only a little bit better than the original xbox, although mario galaxy, both of them, looked great, those nintendo wizards how they did handle that?, it looked almost as goergous as banjo nuts and bolts on the 360.

Having said that the main attraction will be the game pad and their asymetrical style of play approach, again graphics will be second, ways of gameplay and interaction will be first, and it is not bad IMHO, for graphics we will have 720 and PS4, diversity is the spice of life.

36. DrDamn

Aside from spec sheets what has been confirmed as running at 1080p on WiiU? Because spec sheet wise the same applies to the PS3/360. But if it hasn’t got the memory or pixel processing to back that up then the spec is largely meaningless.

37. Gadzooks!

#30

I guess the importance of BC depends on how you game.

For example, I’d want my blockbusters to be using the machines full potential, but I spend almost as much time with buddies couch gaming as I do playing alone, and couch gaming has been marginalised somewhat this gen. Because of that I’m very grateful of BC which allows games like Burnout 3 and Flatout to survive.

Additionally there have been some games this gen which have reached a bit too far technically, and revisiting them on next gen hardware could make them a lot more playable.

I say ‘could’ because in some cases BC games on the 360 run at worse framerates than on the original xbox. :D

38. ManuOtaku

#36 agree, thats why i did stated “how much we dont know yet”,having said that i assume that based on the idea that is been build with current tech, it has to be more powerfull, even if it is because it will be easier to program for, or for newer technical equipments, i think it will more powerfull, but again how much is the key and unknown issue at this moment.
    p.s and like i said on my above comment in this trend, it doenst matter for graphics will have 720 and PS4, we have that covered with both consoles, WiiU will cover new ways of interaction, while having decent and sufficient graphics, diversity is the spice of life, and more options is good, iam quite happy with all 3 consoles this gen, i dont have any reason to believe it wont be the same next gen, i think i will be happy again with the 3 in the inminent upcoming gen

39. Deacon

1080p 60fps may well be achievable considering the art style used for a lot of first party Nintendo games. In fact I’ll spit my blackcurrant squash out if they don’t manage that.

Third party however I think is where WiiU will fail, especially long-term.

Admittedly (and as ManuOtaku said), Nintendo are certainly more about gameplay and mechanics – as opposed to really pushing the hardware to it’s limits. And that’s commendable.
    I don’t consider WiiU next gen, and it sounds like I’m not the only one. But then having been a gamer since the ZX spectrum and Atari 2600, the next gen has always meant bigger, better, faster. For all I know the WiiU could indeed repeat the commercial success of the Wii and prove that you don’t need power to sell a shit-tonne of units.

40. DrDamn

Sure – just wondered if something had been confirmed as that would indicate something solid as an advantage over the current generation. Memory is a key factor holding back more genuine 1080p support on current consoles.

In fact a little bit of digging and … http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-games-run-in-720p/

Though Nintendo’s own games don’t need so much “whizz bang” due to the style, so as the hardware set up becomes more familiar to devs we may see this rise.

41. NocturnalB

Awesome! Been tellin’ my friends for months, next gen is announced 2013, released 2014! Although to be honest i hope release is holiday 2013.

42. RandomTiger

@40 You can always cut your rendering into sections if you are short of vram, its a pain to run out for sure. But fill rate is more important.

43. Erthazus

@Gadzooks,
    “Erthazus if you think I’d give a rage-filled, mentally unbalanced, destructive asswipe like you a shred of personal information you are a bigger moron than you make yourself sound. That would be like handing a shiv to an asylum inmate.”

BattleTag and character is not a personal information you moron. Before you will say bullshit like “I raided over 9000 times” you need to prove something, so far this was just a cheap lie.

You lie too much. There is no reason to argue with someone who just likes to lie for no reason at all.

@Deacon, “f you had ports of recent FF games on your PC you’d complain (at length no doubt) that they’re shitty console ports not optimized for PC!”

Not true at all because i don’t care about ports. If you have good PC, ports does not matter.
    Assassins Creed games have DRM, shitty port but there is nothing to complain. My PC power do all the work around it and it plays like it should play.

@Gama_88, “If you stilll play games on current gen hardware and enjoy them then how the hell can you sit there and bitch and moan all day long about how consoles are not up to par with your pc when there offering you a gaming experience thats isnt even available on pc. You are the biggest stupidest hypocrite on the face of vg247.
    Atleast the 12 year old fanboys hate something and stick to that, you change your mind every 3 comments”

I enjoy gameplay, story and etc. while everything else just sucks. Frame Rates just sucks, if there is a multiplatform title for PC and consoles i play only on the PC because i can’t stand hellish frame drops. If you can’t understand that, than you are a 7 year old moron.
    I play on consoles because there is no alternative. Simple as that and don’t worry my RIG is justified more than any console i have/had and will have in the future. I will continue supporting PC because experience there is much better than on consoles by a mile that’s for sure.

@DrDamn, ““… crappy 200$ pieces of garbage that can’t do shit.”
    then a bit later
    “Also, consoles are not shit.”
    Even you don’t agree with you.”

First was related to COST. Because OUYA console that has more power in most cases will cost 99$.
    Consoles are not shit in general, but CURRENT consoles are ancient garbage. 7 year old, come on. Is it hard to understand?

44. aseddon130

wow that Erthazus is real bitter about something … If you really think these current consoles ‘can’t do shit’ then you are basically a snob.

The graphics are perfectly fine for now, it’s more to do with the actual games that are coming out which, as proven with a new Gears game and yet another new Halo and God Of War that developers are wearing thin on their popular stuff and something significant, like a new system is definately needed.

I don’t get where you’re arguement is, at least in the older days of PS2 / Xbox vs PC there was a significant difference in graphics and performance until the PS3 / Xbox 360 came along and smashed it out of the park interms of visual quality, then there was a good 2-4 year gap where that line of difference was significantly shortened and that was when people were like ‘OMG PC GAMES ARE DEAD’ which was bull, it just took a good game that wasn’t called WoW to kickstart it back up, then you get Diablo and Starcraft 2 and improved console ports to really ramp stuff up. I play games on all three systems (360, PS3 and PC) and no matter what i will always play the 360 version first, despite graphics quality. Main reason for that being that i like achievements and i’m more invested in the Xbox Live framework than all the others, but i will still like to go back to the great games i experienced on the 360 on the PC and get it looking a lot better, hence why i bought Batman Arkham City and got Saints Row 3 on the way. It’s called ‘personal preference’ … there’s no need to be so snobby about it.

At the end of the day you’re all falling for this idiots bait, you’ll never win an arguement in his eyes. Even when these newer consoles come out he’ll still be ‘OMG MY PC IZ STILL TEH SHIZZ’ etc… just grow up and stop being a dick about it.

45. xxJPRACERxx

Current consoles are fine if you never play on PC. The problem is when you play on PC and then get back to consoles.

If you want to enjoy your consoles, stay away from PC because when you experience it it’s difficult to go back to such low-tech.

46. ManuOtaku

I will only say it doesnt matter how much is the difference between PC and consoles graphics wise as long as exlcusives exists, games like the last of us, god of war, halo4, gears of war, pikmin, etc, will always have a place into gamers time, it doenst matter they are not the top of the crop in graphics terms, they are still not found on PC, just like some PC exclusives are not found on consoles, therefore if you want to be a happy gamer, play on the most platforms you can, otherwise you will be a bitter gamer, enjoy the most you can, not just the top of the cream graphics games, you will be missing a lot.

p.s as a matter of fact the differnce between PC and consoles has never been a big issue, is a cycle like the water cycle, consoles came close to the PC, then consoles gets behind PC, (graphics wise) in an endless motion, it has been like that in all generations, and it always will be like that, therefore complaining about something that is common, expected and predicted is kind of time wasting, and boring due the insistance on the same topic, over and over again.

47. Da Man

Erzarage calling people liars, comedy gold.

The guy lied about so many things it’s not even funny, from his age and driving license to having purchased a Vita.

The guy lives in Latvia and supports russian commies, thinks MW2 runs on Q3 engine and calls OpenGL an Opengel. Hated Halo before he could spell ‘Bungie’ properly. Bought a PS3 for an unreleased FF at age of 20 something.

Sad socially isolated patients are sad.

48. OrbitMonkey

Erthazus has a point. Compare Battlefield 3 on pc and consoles. Now you don’t need a mega rig to get it looking/running better than the 360/ps3 version.

Plus all the trailers were of the pc version, which was a bit sneaky imo. Yeah I know it runs fine on consoles, gives you hours of fun, blah de fucking blah, but next gen I’d like my games to look as good as those Battlefield 3 trailers.

49. Dragon246

@Erthazus,
    How much did you spend on that pc rig of yours and how frequently you update, most console gamers play on consoles because its cheaper and there is no worry about upgrades and you get decent graphics. Leaving pc enthusiasts aside, not many are concerned about pc vs consoles graphics.Consoles can never match pc in terms of graphics, but consoles remains the backbone of gaming industry because its a cheaper hardware than pc and unified online communities.

50. xxJPRACERxx

I agree about you ManuOtaku. I play mainly on PC but I keep my consoles (PS3 and 360) for the exclusives.

@49 I’ve just upgraded my PC last month, cost me $600 for new MB, CPU, RAM and an SSD. Kept my old gfx card (GTX 560Ti). I’ve bought for ~$120 of games on the Steam Summer Sales and if I had paid for the same games on consoles I would have probably paid near $350-$400. Now, that’s not counting the saving I’ve made on Steam last Holidays sales and week-end sales. You see, in the end, if you consume a lot of games, PC gaming can be cheaper in the end, plus the advantage of playing at true 1080p @ 60 fps.

51. CPC_RedDawn

What people have to think about when they are concerned about the cost of the next gen consoles is that tech has come a long long way since 2005. The next gen consoles could use mid range PC counterparts from last gen (ATI HD 5850, Nvidia GTX470) and still be relevant in four to five years time. People are forgetting that a console is MASS market consumer products, they are being manufactured by the thousands so prices for CPU’s, GPU, RAM, etc, etc are very small seen as Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo obviously are buying is some serious numbers.

52. TraceableX

Why don’t PC elitists stick to their lovely PCs and leave console players alone? U mad?

Just don’t bother yourself, don’t buy consoles. I’m sure no one will force you. I’m sure of it.
    You are too hardcore to play on consoles.

53. OlderGamer

—xxJPRACERxx

And that is exactly the crux of it.

I did a bit on that samething in a another thread comparing a Saturn to current gen. If all you ever had was a Saturn, you wouldn’t think any less of the system. But when you got your hands on a PS3, you would have a hella time going back to your saturn. While you still may enjoy some of its games(I know I still do), your not going to be able to look at it the same way or get excited about new Saturn games if they were to still come out. Your going to want to game on the PS3.

That in a nut shell is the PC vs Console problem right there. No ranting needed.

Alot of console gamers, like Gad, are prolly feeling threatend by PC. And if your a staunch console gamer, why wouldn’t you? PC market has exploded. And for those of us that either converetd from consoles or been PC gamers all along, we fully understand the advantages that come with PC games.

So, enjoy your Saturn. It is a great system.

54. G1GAHURTZ

It depends how much of a gamer you are.

Some people have no problem going from a PC to a DS, for example. Some gamers may even spend more time on the latter. They’re more interested in the gameplay than overall presentation.

55. OlderGamer

I agree and disagree at the same time G1GA. I am on board with gameplay over graphics. Hell I game on Wii ;)

But PC isn’t just about graphics. It is about choice. With in the games themself. And about playablity. Minecraft on PC vs Console for example. Using that game because graphics aren’t the reason people enjoy it or the draw(unless your into the retro vibe). The game plays much better on PC, and mouse and KB are far better suited for the game then a gamepad. Esp the building.

So I don’t know that there are levels of gamers and higher level ones can game on anything type of thing.

I think most of us are looking for thebest system to game on. Some might have different peramiters of what constitues the best. Might be a game exclusive, a social or online comunity, might be moding, could be price point of hardware and or software. But what ever it is, its cool. Or should be.

Imo, Erth(prolly me too) shouldn’t be ranting on every thread about consoles stinking up the joint. Any more then Gad should be calling PC players elitest. In truth both have valid points.

Console gaming, because it is the lowest common denominater frequently holds PC gaming back. The tech is old and outdated, esp this gen. But because they are mass market thier importance isn’t going to change. Erth needs to move on.

Yet, almost everything Erth has said is correct. PC is the better game experience. PC is the better tech. The better choice. Gad can’t cling to consoles, stick their head in the sand and pretend PCs don’t exist or that only elite nerds would want to play on them.

It just is what it is.

And again different people value different things. So while PC is the best choice for me or Erth or who ever, console is the best choice for someone else. And like many gamers understand, it isn’t a choice of just one or the other.

Personaly next gen I won’t be buying all of the systems. I just don’t use them and don’t enjoy them enough to own all of them. So I am going to make the choice (s) that best fit me.

56. Da Man

Oldman talking drunken bollocks again, how surprising.

Currently enjoying some Nes rereleases on 360.

Oh well, let the threatened PC nerds ease their insecurity with long winded internet essays. It is what it is indeed.

57. Gadzooks!

OG, I do not call PC gamers elitists. I call assholes with a hardware-based superiority complex like you and Erthazus elitists because thats what you are.

You say you shouldnt stink up the place with your bullshit ‘Im looking down my nose at you right now’ posts. Take your own fucking advice and pipe down. You are making yourself sound more moronic every post you make.

Play what you like where you want, just stop telling us we’re playing the wrong way or on the wrong platform. Your opinion is not fact, but it is winding a lot of people up.

58. OrbitMonkey

^ sensitive guy is sensitive o_O

59. OlderGamer

You two must be connected at the hip :)

Right gad, it is my opinion that has created year on year console decline.

60. GrimRita

Really. How can yet another topic like this turn into a debate about PC/Console wars?

I have a PC, never will/have own a console but I see the need for consoles in the gaming world. Before I could afford a PC, I look back to the days on my SNES/N64 and some of the fucking brilliant games on them.

My only concern as stated at the start of this story, is if a) developers can afford next gen b) can gamers?

61. OlderGamer

I wonder the samething, consolewise Grim. I don’t see it being an issue with Nintendo, but what about Sony and MS systems.

62. Da Man

The tech is old and outdated, esp this gen.
    Must be Erzadad or erzatwin.

Seriously, the introduction of shaders in early 2000s, completely ignored by ps2, was the turning point for PC graphics.

Let alone the 3d going from Tomb Raider to Half Life in mid 90s.

63. OlderGamer

Daman..sigh. It is old and outdated. The gen is headed into its 8th year. And prolly has another 2 years left before new MS/Sony hardware comes out. Thats dated.

PC gaming is, for me, about more then graphics. Infact, I game on a TV that, 32inchs, only even displays 720P. That is what my PC is connected to. My PC is about 5 years old. I need a replacement soon. I am no where near the level of performance that guys like Erth are. Tech benchmarks aren’t why I play PC games.

It is the kind of games on PC that keep me playing. Diablo III, Tourchlight II, Guild Wars II, Civilization V, World Of Warcraft, Indie games, Rift, Total War, StarCraft, etc. Plus I like Backwards compatability. I like playing mods. I love Steam sales.

Someday I will have a better rig. But when I do, I doubt it will be higher end. Just not what I shop for. Like I said different gamers value different things.

64. Da Man

You said especially. That’s the issue.

Both of the prev generations held back PC a lot more, and in worse ways.

65. OlderGamer

“Steve Peterson

All you need to know about the current console generation is contained in one number: 30 percent. That’s the approximate drop in retail sales for consoles and console software this year over last year, the fourth straight year of declines. Publishers are releasing fewer titles, and average sales and prices are dropping. It’s past time for new consoles to revive sales, if indeed sales can be brought back to the glory days of 2008. The console makers hate having to lose money for years selling new consoles at a loss, so they’ve held off. This has allowed mobile, social, and downloadable games, particularly free-to-play ones, to build an impressive audience.

New consoles have their biggest challenge ever: Fighting against a vast array of free-to-play games that, one way or another, are making their way to the same screen that console games have been played on. No genre is immune, as a new generation of FPS and RPG games start combining free-to-play with top-notch graphics. Sony has been letting the camel’s nose into the tent with Dust 514 and all the SOE MMORPGs. Gamers will be looking for free-to-play games on new consoles, and if they aren’t there, that’s a huge reason not to buy a new console.
    New consoles are going to need to offer compelling new game experiences (either through innovative controller schemes, like the Wii U, or through hugely better graphics) that simply can’t be found elsewhere. Additionally, new consoles will probably need to offer an array of entertainment options in order to justify their price tags, and console makers will have to keep prices of the hardware low to create a big enough audience to justify exclusive development. I think most third-party publishers will hesitate to put the majority of their development resources into next-gen consoles; EA and Activision have already shown this. The longer we wait for new consoles, the lower their chances for long-term success as their competition on many fronts continues to rush forward at full speed.”

Steve Peterson has been in the game business for 30 years now as a designer (co-designer of the Champions RPG among others), a marketer (for various software companies) and a lecturer. Follow him on Twitter @20thLevel

These guys are far more educated on the industry then I am. But if you guys think I am responable for changing peoples perception and influencing anything, you need to read that article.

I used to be extremly console focused.

66. OlderGamer

I agree with your last post Daman, consoles has almost always held PC games back techwise. I think the difference here is that this gen is so long. For me the issues isn’t just a graphics one, but we have games now hitting their 4th and 5th release for this hardware cycle. I think CoD is on their 7th?

That creates a stagnet game market. New tech often shakes IPs up, offering new ways to do thing. New ideas, new tools, new experiences. And that is a good thing for games. PC or otherwise.

67. Da Man

If #65 was directed at my response,

I probably have trouble following you @vg247 though. First you go on about graphics, then say esp this gen, but then it turns out you were going somewhere else.

But anyway. I don’t think most have to read that article to know some no shit sherlock suggestions.

68. OlderGamer

Your mixing me up with Erth. I am not a big graphics guy. I like the shiny true, who doesn’t. But my motivation for PC gaming isn’t a graphical one.

The article was to point out(mostly to Mr Gad) that while he reads my posts, I am certianly not the only one feeling the way I do. GamesIndustrybiz did a whole article tackling subjects related to this debate. And using industry insiders, they asked each to give their take.

The fact that many of them are saying the same types of things I have been saying, I felt was a good point to bring in. I mean, there is no right or wrong. We disagree over toys, esentialy. It isn’t a big deal nor is it a reason to name call, finger point or otherwise treat each other like shit.

69. SlayerGT

@68 I say, good show!

70. Gadzooks!

Go create a forum thread to spread your master race propaganda and do your stupid trolling.

You are boring and worse, you are preventing the article subject from being discussed.

GO. AWAY.

71. Edo

72. DrDamn

@OG
    On the whole how ever are devs going to cope with the extra costs of developing on next gen consoles … How have they been managing with high end PC specs all this time? Just fine strangely. What ever goes into the NextBox or PS4 it’s not going to be any more powerful than top end PCs of a few years ago.

73. OrbitMonkey

See what happens when you leave the soft loving glow of the Xbot collective OG? :-P

74. OlderGamer

lol at Oribt, I feel so cold.

I wondered the samething Doc. Infact not just about next gen, but for this gen. Alot of publishers stock in the tank right now. Not just console side either.

75. Dragon246

I just hope if next-gen consoles fully embrace games based on ftp, they should also discourage pubs from looting the customers.Hope these ftp games can also include a option where you can play them indefinitely for 60$ or less with decent armor/health/anything else required and higher quality items can be earned in game and are not cash exclusive.

76. fearmonkey

Wow….. I cannot believe anyone would be calling Oldergamer a PC elitist, OG seems to be one of the most well rounded gamers on here. He loved Nintendo and says he doesnt care about graphics, but loves PC so all of a sudden he is a PC fanboy?

What he said about a new console being released is completely right. Until a new machine is released with a major update in graphics, no one really knows what they are missing. He used Saturn as an example and its so true, I thought my Saturn and PS1 was great till I played Quake using my 3DFX card and then couldnt go back to it and feel the same.

We have hit the same point with current consoles, if you have the PC and GPU, a game like Batman:Arkham city looks just amazing on PC, and still looks good on console, but the PC just wows. Does that make the Xbox or PS3 version less fun, no it doesnt, but after seeing games on highest settings its hard to go back. I prefer gaming on a console over a PC, and Im no PC fanboy.