Capcom 100% behind new DmC, original style may return in future

Saturday, 14th July 2012 20:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Motohide Eshiro and Hideaki Itsuno have said the team at Capcom Japan were well prepared for how fans would react when Ninja Theory’s Devil May Cry was first announced.

Speaking with D’toid, the producer and director at Capcom, respectively, said the firm and Ninja Theory stand 100% behind the new entry in the DmC series.

“We knew from the start that whenever you change something like this, there’s going to be some people that will be very interested in that. But it will also scare some people, and make some nervous. We kind of knew that going in, and we steeled ourselves for it,” said Itsuno.

“What we didn’t want to do is lose sight of our core concept. If you panic and change direction you might forget what you were trying to make to begin with and a lot of times that’s how bad games get worse. What we really needed to do is stick to it, and then wait until we could get the game in front of more people and get them to understand what it’s really about.

“We’re just now starting to hit that point where we’re getting people to play, getting more information out there. People are starting to warm up to the idea.”

Itsuno also said that while DmC is a new direction for the franchise, the classic gameplay and style of the original series hasn’t been thrown out with the bath water.

“We want to emphasize that we’re firm believers in that opening one door does not mean that another has to close automatically,” he said. “We are leaving all options on the table, so to speak. We are excited about this new iteration of DmC and are eager to get this into your hands, and we want people to play it and enjoy it. If people are still interested in exploring the other world of DmC that exists, we’re happy to go back to that as well.

“We view this not as a replacement for the Devil May Cry world, but as an expansion of it. No one knowa where it will head, but we’re open to all possibilities.”

DmC: Devil May Cry will release on PS3 and 360 on January 15.

1. Erthazus

These guys will fail so hard. I hope it will fail like the studio who made Resident Evil: Racoon city

2. OrbitMonkey

Make them stronger your hatred will…

3. YoungZer0

I hope the old dmc never returns. Still think that Ninja Theory’s DmC is the best thing that could happen to this boring series.

4. absolutezero

Groundbreaking script work here people.

5. The_Red

I must be in a minority here because I’m a huge fan of DMC1 and DMC3 but LOVE the new look and design of this game.

6. Ireland Michael

@4 God knows its a step up from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

@5 Nope. Really looking forward to this.

7. absolutezero

Also I feel the need to point out that knowing that awful line nabbed me a signed copy of Bayonetta.

8. monkeygourmet

This game really annoys me….

It’s marketed as a re-boot, but really it’s just a re-skin at best.

Apart from the new character design the gameplay looks EXACTLY the same as other DMC games.

If your going to be controversial, at least switch up other elements of gameplay. If not, then what is the point of this so called reboot?!

I hope it fails big time, just smacks of trying to attract a douche’y teenage angst western audience to the series. Not that the series needed anymore of those! :)

At least the Tomb Raider reboot seems to add new elements to the series (albeit in an uncharted stylee)

9. Kabby

They’re 100% behind it, until they’re not. Keep it classy Capcom.

10. Erthazus

They are absolutely developing next gen DMC title or next Devil May cry for this gen with the original team.

Like Capcom is doing with Resident Evil 6 while other shitty western developers finished with Resident Evil Failure: Raccoon city.

11. Dark

^
    I agree.

12. Kuwabara

I’m glad for a change, because i know that capcom will never go back and make a game like DMC1. The rest in the series don’t compare. There is a reason why part 1 is so great, it was created by accident , was a miracle, like how brilliant ideas or inventions are formed unexpectedly through coincidences or fate. DMC1 is a masterpiece, it should be remade completely for next gen.

13. Clupula

I too am hoping that DINO here (Dante In Name Only) is never seen again after this game flops hard.

I was willing to give it a chance, but the more I see of it, the worse it looks.

And no, DMC1 is not the best in the series. That would be DMC3.

14. Kabby

DMC3 is the best in the series. They all have terrible plots so it’s all about the gameplay.

15. osric90

I’ll play it and then judge it. I won’t be part of the worst of humanity. Catholics… I mean… Prejudice.

16. Gheritt White

You guys are wishing failure on a game that’s just trying to do something a bit new within an established IP? And you call yourselves GAMERS?!?!? You actually make me *sick*.

I’m gonna buy a copy on day one, just to piss off you cunts.

I for one really hope Ninja Theory knock it out the park with DmC – they deserve every success IMHO.

17. Erthazus

@17, “something a bit new”

So, what’s new?

18. absolutezero

Im pretty sure alot of people have similar opinions, “oooh look at all the old fanbase complaining about something I have no real interest in. I guess I better buy it just to be contrary and stick it to them.”

Old Dante is still being added to new games, over and above this new model. I don’t think hes going anywhere soon.

This game really is like Operation Raccoon City in that its a hideous basterdisation of what came before.

I would have prefered 1. A new Ninja Theory game they created themselves 2. No new DMC what so ever 3. Capcom to stop being fucking horrible.

19. YoungZer0

@17: Damn right. One of the reason why i stopped calling myself a DMC Fan is the reaction of the ‘Fans’ to the game. I mean everything from the combat, to the character design, to the world looks freaking amazing. And much, much better than the previous DMC Titles. I just think at this point, if you don’t see the good in this game, you fail. Simple as that.

Still laugh my ass off about people who complain about the new Dante not being Dante, how can you tell? As if old Dante even had a personality. You’re an embarrassment.

20. absolutezero

Yes because blind fucking praise for something thats not released is so very much different to blind fucking hate?

Jesus fucking wept. Opinions! Yours are wrong if you think the new Dante looks, sounds and acts like complete fucking shit.

Fuck you!

FUCK YOU!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh look we’re back down to this again, implying that all the negative points are based solely around the asthetic direction the reboot has taken. Lets repeat everything we’ve already said hundreds of times! Only with added personnal insults and disparaging remarks about your ability to notice quality!

21. Gheritt White

Erthazus you CUNT – if nothing’s new, then why the FUCK are you complaining?!?!?!

Wishing for a a whole studio to fail – i.e. hoping that a hundred or so creative people lose their jobs – is absolutely fucking WRONG. Buy the game or don’t, that’s your own decision – but wishing for misfortune to befall others, especially when they’re hard at work on a project, is the lowest of the low.

Also, Erth, you really show your ignorance when you say stuff like “original team”. What does that even mean? Just the design, art, programming and audio leads all coming back together? If so, from which version of the game? Or do you mean every single person who has contributed to the series? GAH! Srsly, just STFU – what fucks me off is that you don’t even have the good sense to know you don’t *know* shit.

Yes this post is a direct attack. If you wanna ban me for a bit, go ahead. I just can’t stand ignorant pricks cheering for failure and for people to lose their jobs – it’s disgusting.

22. YoungZer0

@21: Blind praise? How is it blind? The new design of Dante makes sense, he looks the way he behaves, like a Punk. Playing a character that looks like a Punk is quite refreshing. So is ‘Limbo’. Looks downright amazing. Then there is the fact that the trailer has already shown a world with more depth than any of the previous games were able to deliver.

That might sound like trolling, but how much do you know about the world of DMC? Not much. Where were the people in all the stories of DMC? Where the military? Where the leaders of countries, where the police? How common are demons in the world of DMC? Capcom has all the answers and never, ever bothered to answer. And they never will.

Now we have DmC. Where the world is controlled by demons. They are in high positions, they control the banks, the tv stations, the food industry. We see an organization that actually works against the demons. That’s interesting. We never got that in previous DMC’s. So i applaud that, because they are trying something new and different.

And people hate exactly that.

I thought the ‘Fuck You! Scene’ was hilarious, BECAUSE it was so immature. But people who take themselves too serious don’t get that, i guess. Kind of weird, if you think about it. The same level of immaturity never bothered people about the previous DMC’s.

“Oh look we’re back down to this again, implying that all the negative points are based solely around the asthetic direction the reboot has taken.”

Wanna talk about how 30 fps is oh so fucking important? Don’t. A slow game is slow even at 60 fps. Batman Arkham City runs on 30 fps and its as fast and fluid as it gets. Even shares the same engine.

Wanna complain about the combat you never experienced? Or better yet, why don’t you check out all the previews that actually praise the combat?

“Lets repeat everything we’ve already said hundreds of times!”

That would be funny, if that wasn’t a fact.

@23: *claps*

23. Erthazus

@Gheritt White, “if nothing’s new, then why the FUCK are you complaining?!?!?!”

I’m only complaining about the stupid reskin and retarded story. That is my biggest complain. I have no problem with the game if it is new or not.

P.S. my complain also is about the gameplay. there were a lot of trailers but i still don’t got it. I still don’t understand what it is about.

“Wishing for a a whole studio to fail – i.e. hoping that a hundred or so creative people lose their jobs ”

they are not creative. Their creativity is very subjective. I hate teams just for cheap cash-in and it’s My problem to hate them or not, not yours. It’s not your problem.
    New DMC is just a cheap cash-in and destruction of a franchise in my opinion.

““original team”. What does that even mean? ”

Team that worked with Devil May Cry 1,2,3 and 4. NT is a new team that makes a completely different spin off.

“it’s disgusting.”

you are the only one that is disgusting here calling me a cunt for no reason at all. For your information i never called you a fag or “something” in this conversation and i won’t do that no matter what.

24. Ireland Michael

@25 “they are not creative. Their creativity is very subjective.”

Someone fails at understanding what the word subjective means…

25. Erthazus

I know what that word means. You don’t need to tell me. M’kay?

26. Gheritt White

@ 25: Firstly, you’re a dick. Believe me – it takes one to know one and we can smell our own.

Secondly – I <3 fags. And cunts. Although that's a different story altogether.

Thirdly – you NEED to stop thinking you know how videogames are made when you *clearly* don't. The team that worked on DMC 1-4 will not have been the same all the way through. In fact, the team will have changed several times throughout the course of *each one* of those games' creation, let alone across the whole lot. I'll throw you a bone – you probably mean the team leads, as they tend to define a project, but believe me they don't carry it alone. Such is the way all publisher-owned games get made.

Or are you mistaking "team" for "studio"? If so, you need to work on your jargon.

Furthermore, if you don't understand DmC's gameplay from its trailers… wow. Just wow. It's clearly a linear third-person action game with a focus on combo-based close-quarters combat, a strong platforming element and some light puzzle solving. That wasn't so hard, was it?

As far as I'm concerned, you're merely a more eloquent version of BDH or a less intentionally objectionable version of TEA. I have *never* witnessed your unbridled enthusiasm for any project, nor passion for the implementation of particular features and mechanics. *Everything* with you is a sarky, jaded put-down, like you actually KNOW shit, when it's abundantly clear you've never spent a day working in the videogames industry.

You simply don't have the necessary insight to make statements like "shitty western developers". Shitty western developers do exist, true, but Ninja Theory certainly aren't one of them. You can tell by their output. They're hardly a Krome Studios (sorry Krome, I needed a name and let's face it, Viva Piñata: Party Animals was a heap of shit).

"New DMC is just a cheap cash-in and destruction of a franchise in my opinion."

OPINION. That's right. And for this you want people to lose their jobs and the studio to close? THAT is what makes you a total cunt.

Where you see cheap cash in, I see a bold edgy new direction from a studio that isn't afraid to take risks and piss off a few hardcore fans for what they hope is the betterment of an established series – much in the same way Crystal Dynamics are rebooting Tomb Raider. They're trying to push the series forwards – whether they succeed or not has yet to be determined, but you have to applaud them for *trying*. I mean, they invited a whole bunch of DMC hardcore fans up to the studio to have a hands-on session with the game's combat mechanics – that's a pretty ballsy move that both demonstrates confidence *and* a desire to take fan feedback truly on board.

I mean, a cheap cash in by its very definition is the HD remake of DMCs 1-3. This new iteration brings a brand new direction with a clear emphasis on character development and cohesive storytelling. That you can't see this raises series questions about your critical faculties.

DmC may not be to your liking. You may even find it distasteful or objectionable. But don't EVER assume that just 'cos *you* don't like a game, it's the product of lazy development.

You don't even know what development involves.

27. Gheritt White

That said, Erthazus, please *don’t* take this as me wanting you to stop posting on VG:24/7. I’d hate that – you add to the rich tapestry of Pat’s community. You’re not a damaging or disruptive influence, like Shatner, TEA or itsucks.

Just don’t expect not to get called out on some of your bullshit viewpoints, s’all.

28. Ireland Michael

@27 Clearly not.

You said that their creativity is subjective, and then proceeded to categorically state that they aren’t creative.

Here’s a pretty obvious contradiction in that sentence.

29. Gheritt White

To be fair to the lad Mike, he did say “in my opinion.”.

Ugh, I fucking hate myself now, I didn’t mean for this to turn into some sort of pile-on-Erthazus affair.

30. absolutezero

Nah man its great this game is normally myself and Y0 spewing opinions in each others faces till one of us gets tired and leaves.

“The same level of immaturity never bothered people about the previous DMC’s.”

Oh look what Ninja Theory have done! How innovative and edgy!

Zed from Lollipop Chainsaw was a punk, Dino is not a punk.

31. Gheritt White

I always thought of the new Dante as more post-punk than trad-punk, myself…

Old Dante looed pretty emo, so for me, IMHO, it’s an improvement any way you slice it.

32. Erthazus

“The team that worked on DMC 1-4 will not have been the same all the way through.”

Ofc. but it was made by Capcom devs with “original style” and that is the reason why people whine about new look and other stuff. I’m not alone in this.
    Original style is better and suits the series and that is not just my opinion. New DMC is not what people want and you can clearly see reactions in most cases.
    Imagine if your favourite game like Halo was completely different. Not in the gameplay, but visuals and it’s style was ugghh… something that Halo fan does not really want.
    Halo 4 is made not by original dev team. It is a new studio with new developers, maybe with some old devs but there is a Halo feel to it, new DMC does not have that.

this one is a cheap cash-in in my opinion. It looks not very good. It’s the same situation like with Raccoon city that failed on metacritic and sales.

“Or are you mistaking “team” for “studio”? If so, you need to work on your jargon.”

I think you are right. Yes, studio.

“Furthermore, if you don’t understand DmC’s gameplay from its trailers… wow. Just wow. It’s clearly a linear third-person action game with a focus on combo-based close-quarters combat, a strong platforming element and some light puzzle solving. That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

Ofc i understand that. But it is not the same. It is a bit different. It is slow and it has the same combos and other stuff, but I just don’t have that feeling.
    Maybe it will be awesome when the game will come out, but so far i just don’t feel it.
    They don’t show me a game enough. NT likes to show something that is not Devil May Cry.

“Where you see cheap cash in, I see a bold edgy new direction from a studio that isn’t afraid to take risks and piss off a few hardcore fans for what they hope is the betterment of an established series – much in the same way Crystal Dynamics are rebooting Tomb Raider. ”

the difference between Crystal Dynamics and this is that CD are doing it right and here they are just pissing off people.
    why not just create a new iP if you can’t make it right?

“You don’t even know what development involves.”

I know how development works. Stop saying things like i know shit and you know because “I have zero arguments, but i will say that you are a Cunt and you know shit, also you are a fag!1″

I know gaming industry even from a development perspective. I have friends who make browser-based games that are very successfull.

33. absolutezero

Emo is a hooded sweatshirt and a backpack, possibly three quater length shorts.

Dante looked like an idiot in a bright red leather jacket, he looked like, well not very much like anything apart from a drunk metal head. I guess thats the rub really they took something that was silly, goofy and fluffy and tried to inject some sort of serious story. About a demon killer who has a legendary demon for a Dad.

I know you might think that anything is better than nothing and in case of say Ninja Gaiden I would agree completely but DMC thrived a simple set up and going with it, much like Bayonetta.

34. Ireland Michael

@32 As someone who has been invested in the post punk music and culture almost my entire life, I can tell you with plenty of assurance that you’re wrong. Either your knowledge of the scene is very limited, or you’re purposely being wilfully ignorant.

Mohawks were not invented by punk, nor were they the end all and be all of punk. It was one of countless styles that existed in the culture, and not even the most prevalent one at that.

Zed is little more than a raging stereotype.

The look of Dante, as well as the music, themes and setting of the entire game are almost entirely influenced by 70s / 80s post-punk ideals and fashions.

In both style *and* attitude, Dante *is* a punk. He looks exactly like one, and his attitude of “I’m going to kick the system’s ass and I don’t give a crap if they don’t like it” is entirely in fitting with the ideology that surrounded the entire punk movement.

35. absolutezero

Oh something else your an expert on how apt…

My wifes mother is Joe Strummer. True story.

“Zed is little more than a raging stereotype.” Exactly.

Really though I’ve known a group of crusties for a fair few years and if I tried to show them this and claim it was punk they’d piss themselves laughing.

36. monkeygourmet

@28 & 36

Seriously, come on…

This game looks half decent, for the fact it has the DMC licence…

O’Conner, I’m surprised you are even getting a hard on for this considering it’s a bastard child…

From what we have seen, and let’s face it, if your trying to promote something, at least make it look new and cool (see the new borderlands trailer), this is weak sauce and especially weak considering the sauce material…

Talk about a missed opportunity!

37. Ireland Michael

@37 And my wife had a mohawk for years. True story.

My entire music collection is chock full of traditional punk music, post punk music, industrial music, goth music, you name it. When I was younger, 90% of my time was spent immersing myself in the scene, the music, the fashion. Trying to insult me doesn’t really add any weight to your argument..

I’m sorry if you cherish being ignorant, but that’s really nobody’s fault but your own. Some of us actually enjoy educating ourselves about things. This isn’t even about being an “expert” – the most perfunctory of research is necessary to educate yourself about this.

You just don’t like the fact that you have nothing to support your argument beyond the ignorant assumption that punk =Mohawk.

The *fact* is that you’re wrong. This isn’t even opinion. This is supportable fact. Those pictures alone prove half the point – Dante’s style is almost completely inspired by those (very famous in the scene) photographs.

What about the parallels to punk ideology? “Fuck the system. Fuck the rules. They don’t care about us. They’re just trying to control us. Let’s how them that we’re not going to be controlled.” This is almost entitely identical to the plot we’ve been told and the attitude we’ve seen from Dante himself.

What about the music in the game? Most of it is being done by bands whose existences are almost entirely owed to punk, involving music styles that either grew out of it or where a full blown part of it. When the list of musical artists was revealed for this title, that was basically the nail in the coffin for any argument as to the stylistic influence of the game.

@38 Although I don’t care much for the “fuck the system” attitude, everything else about this game is a (fucked up) dream come true for my personal tastes. Especially the music.

“Gameplay looks the same… If this was any other game, you’d be complaining about the updates…”

Gameplay is almost nothing like the original DmC. The weapons are entirely different, the guns are used in a completely different manner, and there is a much larger focus on platform elements than there ever was in the originals games.

I don’t believe the gameplay is going to be as tight and perfectly tuned as DmC 1 or 3 – Kamiya and Co. have a knack for this stuff that few other devs are capable of, but I don’t think it’s going to be even remotely bad, not by a long shot.

38. monkeygourmet

Also,

Don’t talk about punk with o’conner… He thinks this is the opitomie of punk, which is worrying…

39. monkeygourmet

Oh god, so you believe PR shit when it suits you?! (or this game ticks your personal orgasm boxes?!)…

Let’s face it, it’s going to be a 6/10 game which you are going to have a weird hard on for…

40. Ireland Michael

@40 So basically, you have absolutely nothing of worth to add to this conversation besides insults.

Par for the course.

@41 PR shit? What the fuck are you even on about?

It has music that I personally adore, with a visual style that I really, really like, and gameplay that looks really fucking good. Why wouldn’t I like it?

If the gameplay in the final product turns out to be shit, it won’t matter how it looks or sounds. But we won’t know that one until the game actually comes out, obviously.

41. monkeygourmet

Already had an argument with you regarding this game, please check your history for my views, not doing it again, so I’m following your weird troll style in a previous article…

42. Ireland Michael

@43 Your argument is “I’m presenting opinions as facts and you’re wrong because you don’t agree with them.”

If you have no desire to discuss (argue) the subject with me, why bother directing a comment at me to begin with? My original post wasn’t even directed at you.

43. Gheritt White

Crusties /= punk. Tbh, I kinda get more of a Wire/Gang Of Four vibe from new Dante than The Damned/Sex Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks.

@ 34: Halo really isn’t my favourite game, but I’ll play along. Personally, I’m all about two things – mechanics and mystery. Those are they two key things that will immerse me in a gameworld. Everything else is secondary for me, including the game’s look-and-feel. So, if 343 were to come out with a cell-shaded Halo in which Master Chief was retconned to be a snarky hipster with a chip on his shoulder, I *wouldn’t* be saying “that’s not Master Chief!” Instead, I’d be looking to see how it was handled, the reasons behind this take and the quality of execution.

Halo 2 and 3 weren’t very good IMHO because they forgot a core element of the series – mystery. Halo: Reach helped address that (plus introduced some kick ass mechanics by the way of armour abilities) and the dev team at 343 *really* seem to understand that mystery ought to be a key element of the Halo experience, as it was so unbelievably crucial to Halo: CE. [/insert long-winded rant about Halo not being Halo after Alex Seropian left Bungie in 2002 here]

Games are simultaneously both an artform and entertainment medium and so long as a title is effective across both areas, I’m not fussed about adhering to classic or original concepts.

Bring on a gritty Mario or a cutesy Solid Snake, I’m all for experimentation in principle (see Far Cry 2) and I’ll get the game if I like the end results. The important thing is to let artists be artists or designers be designers and get on with the job. Whether they succeed or fail is only ever assessable when the game ships.

The absolute last thing I want to see is developers become beholden to their communities, as this stifles creativity. What happened with Mass Effect – while an understandable cause – sets a worrying precedent for videogames as a whole, IMHO. It threatens the very nature of the creative process. I’d hate for things to be designed by committee as a rule moving forwards.

The difference between Raccoon City and DmC or Tomb Raider is that of mechanics. I’ve no problem with a squad based shooter being set in the ResE universe, but I can understand that others would find the experience jarring.

The *only* difference, on the other hand, between the DmC and Tomb Raider reboots is that you (Erthazus) like one and don’t like the other. Both have adapted and updated their mechanics and narrative with the risk of alienating their existing fans. Personally, I think *both* reinterpretations are fucking fantastic.

Lastly, this: “why not just create a new iP”?

No idea. Probably because of market conditions. Sometimes I wish every game that came out was a new IP. I will say, though, that the DmC reboot looks anything but lazy or cheap to me – it looks to be finely crafted and highly accessible (which may account for the slowness you perceive). I love the colour palette, the world, the dialogue, the move set… I’m very much looking forward to it. Ninja Theory deserve a breakout success after Enslaved didn’t gain traction and I really hope that this is their chance to shine.

44. monkeygourmet

Because its as much of a cash in as any COD game you could mention…

If your going to slag of those kind of games then at least you would recognise this as a complete cash in too…?

You seem to get mixed up in what you think is corporate bollocks and what is creative genius… Get your facts straight dick head!

It’s the same fucking game!!! No major probs, but considering you rag on other franchises for updates, can you see why you run into problems?!

45. Gheritt White

Actually, the only major reboot I’ve had issues with in recent times is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, which was *so* mechanically different to the original games it REALLY should have been a new IP, rather than maintaining the fiction wrapper around a set of brand new and completely different gameplay elements.

46. monkeygourmet

Oh for fucks sake…

Get off your high horse…

This wasn’t done for ‘artistic licence or integrity’…

This was done for making cash money!!! Your such a dupe if you think it was done for the gamer! :/

Look at the new resi… All this game is for, is to see if they can push new revenue funds… If not, they will revert back to the original formular…

Man… You are all thick as fuck…

Anyone thinking this is a cool new direction needs to seriously view how they think franchises are heading…

See dead space 3 etc…

At least understand when you are being shafted! :)

47. Ireland Michael

@46 Your argument would be valid if the gameplay was even anything like the previous Devil May Cry games.

By that argument, Bayonetta and Devil May Cry are “the same fucking game”. Ninja Gaiden and Tenchu are “the same fucking game”. They’re part of the same genre, and thats all. The characters are influenced by the originals. That’s about as far as any of the similarities go.

Call of Duty, on the other hand, *is* the exact same game every year, with the exact same engine, with only minor cursory changes to the feel and balance of weapons and a few new locations. The comparison doesn’t hold up at all.

“Just because they wack in a few of your fav punk tracks, doesn’t mean it’s some new awesome game!”

I think the gameplay looks great. The great music and style is just icing on the cake. If the cake ends up tasting like shit, I’m not going to eat it just because the icing is nice and sugary.

48. monkeygourmet

See @48

Well, it kind of is, DMC spawned all of those games,

It is the same game… (tenchu is combat and stealth btw)

Look at the only gameplay vids they have released so far…

The only new thing, is running away from an exploding world ala ‘inception’, which was boring about 3 years before that fucking film came out…

As for combat,

Considering you slag off God of War, it really didn’t look that deep or spectacular.

If they are holding stuff back.. Why?

Everyone has been ragging on the game, why not prove them all wrong?!

Why not admit, this game will be enjoyed by a niche section of gamers (like you), in the same COD and other games in a similar vein will be, by others…

Also, to fulfill your punk fantasies, better off play some Dead Kennedies on Guitar Hero…

49. ManuOtaku

Iam with the people that likes this direction, mostly because they need to reboot it simple as that they need to compete toe to toe with the new masterpiece in this type of games, BAYONETA, if bayoneta didnt existed, then all the people that is worried for this reboot, should be happy becuase they will keep making the same first 3 games over and over again, but know things have change, they need to change, lets see if they can carry what made the first three games great, with a new settings and style, and then criticize all you want, doing this previous the release is really out of place.
    p.s and not this is not like resident evil racoon city, resident evil still is the main franchise with number 6, much like this devil my cry, now if they will start making a first person shooter or a third person shooter with the devil my cry name on it, they is right it will be a racoon city all over again, but this is not the case.

50. Da Man

Well said, monkey gourmet.

Sadly, I think you won’t be getting anywhere with the likes of oconner. The guy is too mentally independent to even admit he’s wrong when he factually is, let alone take into account some opinionated arguments. Aftar release he’ll be in the blog comment sections nagging about Dmc taking more skill to play than CoD whilst having a 50 gamerscore with it..

51. YoungZer0

@31:

“One of the prime tenant’s of the character laid down by Kamiya was that Dante never smoked and Dante never swore because both are a fucking awful lazy way of making a character “cool”.”

Who gives a shit what Kamiya said? Seriously, how is his opinion even important? And why is smoking and swearing such a big problem? You really think NT said down and said, “okay, let’s have him smoke and swear, because that’s cool.”

Nope, they just build it in because they thought that would fit his character and rightfully so.

52. Ireland Michael

@51 Yeah, like my 50 points in Bayonetta.

Oh, wait…

53. Gheritt White

@ 53: I don’t get why you feel the need to defend yourself, Mike. You’ve proven yourself time and time again. Lame insults such as that really aren’t worth your time.

54. absolutezero

Still going eh.

Its worth mentioning that well before Ninja theory was even a studio Kamiya had come forth about the character in the game he directed to say that having a character smoke and swear is a cheap and easy way of making them look “cool”. Cinema backs this up regularly. Its lazy.

Then NT does just that to get the same result, its lazy. Like the entire Fuck you thing. Like writing “Fuck you” when asked for his name in the new nightclub video. Shitty fucking writing.

I await the obvious blah blah always had shit writing, blah blah better than nothing, blah blah character fits blah blah blah Bayonetta blah blah.

55. YoungZer0

@55:

Alright, this is getting rather boring. I had a pretty good monologue though.

56. Gheritt White

Obvious blah blah always had shit writing, blah blah better than nothing, blah blah character fits blah blah blah Bayonetta blah blah

57. absolutezero

:D

58. OrbitMonkey

The term is “Parasocial attachment”.