Only 20% of players will see the last level in Hitman: Absolution, says director

Tuesday, 26th June 2012 17:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IO Interactive’s Tore Blystad has said metrics compiled by the firm have revealed many Hitman: Absolution players won’t see the last level of the game.

Speaking to OPM, Blystad said the realization that only 20% will reach the last level of the game was “very sad.”

“We are using metrics a lot more now than we did, for good and for bad,” he said. “The general player will probably never even finish the game, which is very sad. Or they might only play through it once, but the game is built for the people who want to go back through every single level and get all the stuff out of it. It’s built to last, rather than be a one-off experience.

“I guess people can’t commit to taking all those hours to finish one product, they get tired of it. It’s not just for this game, it’s for any game. Knowing that 20% of the players will see the last level of the game. It’s horrible to know. It makes the people working on it really really sad.”

Blystad said normally such information would inspire the developers to shift content to earlier parts of the game, but the narrative in Absolution didn’t allow for this.

“It’s very difficult when something is constructed to fit into a larger story to move things too much around,” he said. “I think in some of the previous Hitman games that that might have been the case – that some levels were moved earlier, because they were more catchy or interesting. For us it hasn’t really been that easy, because the story is really tying all the levels together, so they’re still coming in the same order, more or less, that they were designed.

“In the user tests we have they actually tell us that the replayability factor in itself, it’s the situation or the humour that’s the reason people actually go back through the levels, they want to see more, they want to find these things, which makes us very happy, because it takes a lot of time and effort to get these things in.”

Hitman: Absolution is out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in November.

1. Talkar

That is nothing new. Just take any steamworks game that awards an achievment for completing the game, for easy viewing of course. For example 28.8% have completed The Witcher 2 on any difficulty.

2. drewbles82

I loved Hitman blood money and went to the end. Played it several times as well, loved the freedom, spent hours learning characters movements so looking forward to the new one.

3. bo_7md

Well played. It’s a tactic to lure people in; “oh too sad only a handful of you are hardcore, and can finish the game,” he said with a sly grin.

4. TheBlackHole

If only 20% of gamers make it to the end, your game is either not very entertaining, or it’s simply too difficult.

If developers would get over their own egos and put in lower difficulty settings for less-familiar gamers, more would make it to the end. I’m a fairly seasoned gamer at close to 30, and I still find many games difficult, or they present bottlenecks I simply don’t have the time or patience to grind through.

5. DSB

@1 Yup, spot on.

Most gamers are pretty casual.

6. Strawb

@5: While that may be the case, being casual doesn’t mean you can’t play through a long game. It’ll just take you that much longer.

7. ManuOtaku

Well in my case is not because i didnt like it or because i suck in the game, it is because of my ever growing backlog list, and with three consoles and 3 hanhelds its pretty hard to finish all the games, especially when you want to try the latest games, the tittles that are on my backlog list always gonna get screwed, its sad but thats also one third of the problem right there.
    p.s and thats without mentioning past consoles and past tittles T_T, and for me is not a thing of being “casual”, is quite the oppositte i just buy to many games, more that i do play to the fullest, and each generation is the same, maybe i will stick with one console, but that is not in my nature

8. roadkill

@1 You know I’ve seen that and I keep asking myself.. Why do so many people buy games if they don’t finish them? Probably not even play them..

9. DSB

@6 I don’t know. The more time you spend on a game, the more likely you are to play something else. Most of my friends are strictly casual, and they rarely finish anything.

Like Talkar says, you can pretty much look at any game on Steam that has a finishing achievement and see how few people actually finish them.

Only 60% finished Modern Warfare 2, and that’s roughly a 6 hour campaign. 36% have finished Max Payne 3, which is a 10 hour game.

10. Gigabomber

@3 pretty much. Fake news fake hype, watch the game crash and burn despite it. I always want a good game of any type, but these tactics? really? *oh so sad*

11. Maximum Payne

@9 Wow can’t believe for Max Payne 3…
    And then people are angry why are developers adding MP ?

12. DSB

@11 I think the lesson there is don’t believe everything you read on the internet. An angry guy is way more likely to load up his laptop and write something than a satisfied one.

That’s why they call it the vocal minority :)

13. Talkar

Pretty much. I hardly ever write anything on the StarCraft forums, and i absolutely LOVE that game! I just want to spend my time actually playing it and enjoying and, rather than write about it :P

14. pukem0n

the attention span of the average gamer these days has shortened quite a bit.

15. IL DUCE

The question is where did these metrics come from?…Based on what games?…if you’re including extremely long games/open world games where casual players will not play through it (Skyrim, GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout etc.) And FPS multiplayer based titles (CoD, Battlefield) that statistic is not surprising at all…a game like Hitman will probably be finished by a lot more than 20% since it won’t have a MP component to distract people from the single player, nor will it be too long that it would be a task just to finish the game…very vague statistic when given in that context with no clarification

16. Talkar

^I refer to my comment using The Witcher 2 as an example. Single player only, not that open world, only 28,8% finished the game :P

17. DSB

@15 You find a game that has a Steam achievement for ending it, then you press “View Global Achievement Stats” at the top.

16,3% have finished Bastion.

45% have finished Batman Arkham City.

16% have finished Shank.

40%-to-60% have finished Saints Row The Third.

39% have finished RAGE.

56% have finished Portal 2.

I think you’d be lucky to have half finish a game.

18. OrbitMonkey

Well you have a lot of games and not a lot of time, plus they always seem to come at the same time…

19. majicship

As a gamer well into his 5th decade I have found that these days I do tend to finish most games that I start, no matter how turgid. Unlike years ago I would simply bail on a game I wasn’t enjoying, but today I find I want to get the most out of my experience. Mind you, I don’t buy half as many games as I did when I had a bit more of a disposable income. This si why I didn’t buy AC Revelations. I really didn’t have the stomach to do it all again. I sometimes wonder if this was a mistake?

20. Gheritt White

@ 19: You didn’t miss anything by skipping Assassins’ Creed: Revelations – it was just filler.