Camilla Luddington confirmed as new Lara Croft voice

Tuesday, 26th June 2012 10:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

English-born actress Camilla Luddington – of True Blood fame – has been chosen to be “the voice and performance actress” of Lara Croft for the next Tomb Raider.

Luddington was picked for the role after an “international talent search using scouts in Europe and the US,” according to Square.

She was picked as the company felt she was able to deliver “depth of emotion and the youthful tone needed for Lara Croft in the upcoming reimagining of the Tomb Raider franchise”.

Said Darrell Gallagher, head of studio at Crystal Dynamics: “This has been one of the most important jobs for us to get right.

“This Tomb Raider game is very different to any other and we are demanding far more from the voice and performance acting than ever before as we take the franchise in a new direction.”

Luddington will appear on Nerd HQ and Comic-Con panels in San Diego next month to talk about the job, as will other members of the dev team.

Recently Luddington has starred in Californication and features in the current season of HBO’s True Blood.

Tomb Raider will release on March 5, 2013.

1. alimokrane

A really good choice, I have to say! I hated the voice at last year’s E3 but I have sort of grown to like it at this year’s E3. I dont know who this actress is as I dont watch True Blood but her voice suits Lara perfectly.

2. Gheritt White

SEXIST!

3. Edo

She showed…a lot of potential in Californication.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Probably why they hired her for True Blood.

5. Colin Gallacher

@3 I take it she was in the latest season? I stop watching after season 4. It just got a tad too batshit insane for me, almost felt like a slapstick comedy at times.

Good stuff, fit voice seems to fit perfectly for Lara.

6. Gheritt White

Never seen True Blood or Californication. Never seen Made in Chelsea either, bit it looks like she’d fit right in there.

7. Night Hunter

Oh my god the fact that I have seen her nude in Californication makes the whole Tomb Raider debate all the more funny …

8. Ostercy

How very “mid-Atlantic”. Does this mean they are throwing away the characterisation of Lara Croft as an aristocratic English archaeologist-adventurer and remaking her as some banal English-American college hybrid? (Feel free to tell me I’m wrong, Crystal Dynamics.)

9. The_Red

Her face does kinda look like the new Lara. I wonder if they chose her first and modeled it after her or it’s just coincidence.

10. MostUnfurrowed

@Ostercy – She’s from Berkshire, you couldn’t get any more middle-England if you tried.

11. pootank

How can she be “of true blood fame” the episodes with her in hasn’t aired yet, and won’t do for at least another 3 weeks.

This is the first I’ve heard about her being in the show…