Steam will no longer support Windows XP SP1 as of August 31

Wednesday, 20th June 2012 14:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has announced it will no longer support or build updates for Windows XP Service Pack 1 on Steam from August 31. Those with Service Pack 2 and above will not be affected. Valve said in preparation for this, users may wish to bite the bullet and upgrade to SP2. While there’s probably very few out there who have yet to upgrade at this point, there are likely a few closet users still out there, so it’s worth noting. Thanks, CVG.

1. freedoms_stain

I can’t believe anyone is actually gaming on an XP SP1 machine. Didn’t SP1 still have the 120GB hard drive limit?

2. Talkar

I can’t believe anyone is actually still using XP o.O At least not people who want to play games (which one can assume since they have Steam installed).

3. G1GAHURTZ

Surely it’s not possible to connect to the internet on XP SP1 without almost being forced to update?

There must be a million security holes in the thing, anyway…

4. Erthazus

@3, nope. SP2 is not forced.

“There must be a million security holes in the thing, anyway…”

Not only that, but less features. :D

5. DSB

It’s not always that simple though. What if you have a shitty old laptop that may not run all of your library, but at least some of it? You’re not going to waste money on Windows 7, and Vista probably won’t even run on it.

Of course those people can’t expect to be catered to after 10 years, but I’m sure some people are gonna curse over it.

6. G1GAHURTZ

^ So why not just DL SP3?

Anyway, let’s be honest… Any old PC that is full of programs and still running SP1 probably takes about 10 minutes just to boot up, so I have no idea how anyone would be happy playing any Steam games on it.

7. DSB

@6 I kinda missed that part. Not enough coffee in the system yet.

Regardless, if you’re using 10 year old software, you can’t expect everybody to jump through hoops for you. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

I’d say about 2-3 minutes for booting, but it certainly feels like an hour when you have an i5 in the office :P

And it’s really more about just being cheap, because it’s not like an average quadcore will run you a lot of bucks these days.

8. knuck

@1 I had a 200gb hard drive back in pre-SP1 days.
    @2 @3 @6 Try not to forget that lots of Steam users and people who buy games legitimately have a cracked copy of Windows (XP). Not everyone lives in the US/Europe where software is cheap and piracy equals stealing. Also, your comments on XP’s speed make it seem like you never used it. Saying things like “XP takes 10 minutes to boot up” seriously make it seem you were born in the past 10 years and XP is but a vague memory from days of yore; it’s not, SP3 is merely 4 years old.
    >> Windows
    >> Features

9. Kabby

Probably only lazy pirates using SP1 at this point in time anyway.

10. G1GAHURTZ

At no point did I ever say that XP takes 10 minutes to boot up.

I said that an old PC full of programs, running SP1 would probably take that long.

Why?

If the owner is still on SP1, I can only assume that they don’t care about security, and maintenance in general.

Therefore, not only would such a hypothetical PC be in dire need of a defrag, it’d very likely also be overflowing with all sorts of spyware and trojans that stop it from running properly.

I challenge anyone to find a single non-techie person with a laptop/PC more than 2 years old that doesn’t fit the description above.

Also, of course I used XP. I’ve always been a slow upgrader when it comes to Windows.

11. roadkill

Why do you people care about what other people are using as their main operating system? Anyone should use whatever they want and/or need to use. Windows XP is a decent product. And not only that but also there are old programs that only run in XP. I might actually install it on my lappy soon.

12. Da Man