Miyamoto – Nintendo’s focus is on “bringing fun to the world”

Tuesday, 19th June 2012 20:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto has said Nintendo is more concerned with “bringing fun to the world,” rather than “focusing on competition,” whether in development or when presenting his firm’s offerings at a venue like E3.

Speaking with IGN, Miyamoto said Nintendo’s focus on fun has proved to be a success in the past, especially when the competition moves in the “same direction,” Nintendo moves.

“In the past when we’ve introduced stuff like motion control or touch screen control with the Nintendo DS, it typically would take a few years for other companies bring them into their own offerings,” he said. “The fact that one year out when we first introduced the concept of Wii U, we’re already seeing other companies trying to move in that same direction, suggests there’s a tremendous amount of possibility in what we’ve shown so far.

“We have a long history of creating these kinds of experiences. Even going back as far as our early experiments long ago between the portable gaming machines and the home console. The challenges we experienced at that time – not everyone had that complete ecosystem and hardware environment, so we couldn’t have those experiences be made available to our entire user base.

“[Where as Wii U] has the definitive advantage (because) it’s coupled with our experience with creating unique gameplay for this very specific type of ecosystem.”

When it comes to ‘who did better at E3′ between The Big Three, Miyamoto stressed that he doesn’t see it as a competition like many of Nintendo’s competitors do.

“It’s something that’s tough for me to objectively look at, and I think to me, what’s most important, is that I don’t betray the trust that people have in me. At a show like this, it’s my job to show we’re all having fun, ” he said. “People come to E3 and they want to talk about competition and who won the show, and all these companies combating one another.

“But what we’re meant to be doing is bringing fun to the world. So rather than focusing on competition, I feel it’s my job to go up on stage and show how I can bring fun to the world by having fun myself.”

1. Gekidami

Look at this arrogant prick.

2. Moonwalker1982

Fun yeah…their press conference was full of fun fun fun too.

NOT!

3. SplatteredHouse

*scans surroundings for stray Pikmin*
    None to be seen. :( But, Miyamoto’s opening to their conference was fun. That bit. I thought it was fun-ny how they went in to huge detail about the control screen, but never once mentioned the base unit that the disc must go in, again, and still.

4. hives

Dear Nintendo, why can’t you keep bringing this fun… but with NEW IP? Mario, cool. Pikmin, cool. Zelda, cool. But ffs, I want something NEW from Big N :<

5. Dragon246

Ninty is too bloated with the success of wii and ds. It happens to many same as sony bloated after the success of ps2. PS3 PSP connectivity is present for ages ( although not very good). wii u is just an enhanced version of that idea.
    Also 2 screen idea is bs and foolish. Unfortunately with only 2 eyes I can watch only one screen at one time.
    “The fact that one year out when we first introduced the concept of Wii
    U, we’re already seeing other companies trying to move in that same
    direction, suggests there’s a tremendous amount of possibility in what
    we’ve shown so far.”
    This shows miyamoto’s ignorance, smartglass was in development for 2-3 years and sony had plans for ps3-vita cross play since vita’s announcement in January 2011. It looks more like ninty tried to copy their idea and instead of copying an idea and making it better( which is fine). They are stuck with a resistive and and no processor screen that cant work unless its within working distance of wii u and its coupled with cheap sensor which according to ninty is even crappier than wiimote’s sensor.

6. polygem

…sigh…

to me nintendo IS fun….

7. OlderGamer

Me too Poly, but the thing is so many so called core gamers have to be the first ones to get their digs into a thread like this.

Kind of sad really.

Must be they have nothing better to do with their time.

8. bo_7md

Actually Nintendo lost money last year. How they managed to do that with all the sales from Wii is beyond me, but meh who cares.

Nintendo has been, for a while now, riding on the coat-tails of older masterpieces;Zelda, Mario, and Metroid come to mind; They aren’t even making great games anymore or competing to get them; mainly because their devices are out of the cycle–Look at the time Wii-U coming out– It’s specs aren’t that impressive and will most likely be dwarfed by the new consoles.

This looks like another Sega in the making, anyways the sales of the Wii-u will determine how things look for Nintendo–we’ll just have to wait and see.

9. G1GAHURTZ

And there I was thinking that Nintendo’s focus was to make money!

Better not tell the shareholders about this “fun” plan.

They might not be too impressed…

10. ManuOtaku

I think they succeed with bringing the fun to the world,especially miyamoto, he is a funny man indeed, just looking at him makes me bring an smile to the face, in a good way of course, the wii and the ds brought fun to people that never played videogames before, and their games are fun, and if one looks at nintendo newest ips, we see something for everybody, like wii music, xenoblade,baten kaitos,pikmin,wii sports,etc, all of them focus on pleasing both targets, avid and casual alike.