Crytek boss touts “fundamental issues” with Timeplitters 4

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 07:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crytek is not working on Timeplsitters 4 because it just wouldn’t work, CEO Cevat Yerli has said.

“The thing with TimeSplitters is, if we made a sequel to TimeSplitters, nobody would accept this apart from some fans, and we don’t know how big the fan community is unfortunately,” Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli told CVG.

“And we don’t want to design this as a packaged goods game that launches on a console, and even if we wanted to I don’t think publishers would like the idea. That is the truth, and that was the truth even before we bought Free Radical.”

Yerli’s comments echo those of Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis, who commented that very few triple A shooters make money; the executive confirmed that Timesplitters 4 was unsuccessfully shopped around to publishers.

“The concept behind TimeSplitters was pitched around before we took over and Free Radical had no luck. We think even on CryEngine and with Crytek behind it there would be fundamental issues with the concept,” he said.

“I love the idea, and I wish we’ll work on it, but currently we are not working on it. I wish we were working on it. I will say that. I think hopes are high, but change has to happen in the platform space.”

Speaking of platforms, Yerli did say the developer’s own social gaming network might be a good fit, now that Crytek is transitioning to a free-to-play publisher.

“I’m very excited potentially about the idea of a TimeSplitters for G-Face. TimeSplitters had one of the most fun multiplayer games ever, and G-Face is a social entertainment platform – it’s about online gaming. I love the idea of a TimeSplitters for G-Face,” he enthused.

This is just the latest in a long series of denials that a new Timesplitters game is in the works.

Greman developer Crytek acquired Nottingham team Free Radical in 2009; the studio is now known as Crytek UK.

1. Yoshi

Don’t you fucking dare make a F2P Timesplitters XD

2. RoyBrown

Consoles are dead, Timesplitters wont work in that space because of oh I dont know the sky is blue the platform space blah blah Cryengine tech bullshit bullshit.

Just make a good game and shut the fuck up you douchebag.

Dead set the most annoying dev in the world.

3. absolutezero

So what exactly are Free Radical working on then?

Why did Crytek buy them in the first place if not to release some of their beloved IP?

What the fuck.

4. Da Man

There were certainly way more fundamental issues with Crysis than with any of Timesplitters.

5. Lewis247

Has literally nothing what the fans say or what matter!?

So let me get this straight, the guys behind Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and the Timesplitters series (easily the most iconic FPS to grace consoles). Decide that their most popular and famous franchise isn’t worth making a new sequel too? What the actual fuck.

Seriously unless the fans make it clear to them that timesplitters 4 will be the only game to revive them, then everything will be lost.

6. Maximum Payne

@3 They are working on Homefront 2.

7. Gadzooks!

Such a shame. Timesplitters splitscreen and challenge modes are some of my fondest memories of the last gen.

I’d suggest an online petition, but I fear it would only confirm Cryteks appraisal of its viability.

8. OrbitMonkey

Well didn’t Timesplitters 3 bomb? Is it ant wonder their convinced they teh kids just want teh CoD?