Pachter: “Nintendo must price Wii U below $300 in order to succeed”

Monday, 11th June 2012 23:18 GMT By Debabrata Nath

According to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, Nintendo must price its next-gen console lower than $300 (£190) per unit or else it may not be able to stand a chance at retail.

Speaking to CVG, Patcher said that he’s uncertain whether the firm really has a “killer app” for the Wii U that could push the sales of the console in the same manner that games such as Wii Sports had done for the Wii.

“The console must be priced below $300 to succeed, in my opinion, and best at $249 or less,” he said.

Reflecting on Nintendo’s E3 2012 presser, Pachter branded Nintendo’s Wii U approach as “a rear-view mirror strategy”.

“Nintendo is intent upon repeating their success with the Wii,” he said.

“While I agree that the Wii U controller is sufficiently novel and different from traditional controllers, I am not sure that there is a killer app that will drive Wii U adoption the way Wii Sports did for the Wii.

“At E3 I was not particularly impressed with many of the games, and in particular found Sing baffling. I don’t understand why I need a tablet to read Karaoke words rather than reading the words on the TV screen instead.”

Nintendo’s shares fell sharply for three consecutive days after its E3 press conference which drew more jeers than cheers from the media and public. However, it regained some momentum on Monday as it closed up 1%.

1. OlderGamer

Scary, but I agree with him.

I think WiiU is gonna struggle out of the gate.

2. xino

it needs to be less, the point is who are Nintendo targeting the hardware at? hardcore fans? casuals? fans who only has an SD system called Wii?

because if they want gamers who already own PS3/Xbox 360, they need to go lower!
    what about gamers with Wii? Wii U is basically Wii in HD…

it needs to be priced at £190!

3. jldoom

Yeah it definitely needs to be a lot less, at least for me to consider buying it (less than $250USD) I was honestly not impressed by any of the games except the ZombieU mainly because I’m a survival horror fan but the whole idea was intriguing, then lost interested in the WiiU because the talks of porting it lol.

I really want this to succeed, but I just don’t see myself purchasing the first couple of months its out.

4. Stardog

I’m calling $300-340

5. dtyk

It needs to be approximately $150 for a few key reasons:

1. You have a $99 dollar 360 bundle that can play almost all the games on the Wii U. Any higher than $150, no one has reason to buy one.

2. Lack of good online. You got Live pressuring on the left, PS Plus pressuring from the right. No one will dump more $200+ on a console that is lacking in online.

3. It had better be true backwards compatible. Meaning, not like PS3 backwards compatible. Every Wii game must be ready to pop in and play.

If it’s more than $150, I highly doubt anyone would buy it.

6. Sini

$199 or gtfo, that’s still $199 that’s going into “last gen” instead of being saved as portion for ps4 that’s out 2013.
    That’s the price I might be tempted with this console, $300? lol gtfo nintendo, seriously, I can throw in another $100 and get sony next console which will make your box look like a wii for the next 6 years again.

7. MegaGeek1

They need to price this POS at $199 and launch it with a brand new Zelda and Mario for it to sell. Since wii all know that won’t happen, my prediction is utter failure for the wii u.

PS: Fuck Patcher never seases to amaze me by how he so transparently shills the obvious as sound analysis.

8. fearmonkey

It’s going to be no less than $249.99 and no more than $299.99.
    Any more and its going to have issues.

9. ejams

Depending on the price, it might just be the 3DS all over again until the games (the good ones) start coming out, and a potential price drop if the suggested price be too high. They know dropping the price into something more sweet along with added games from Nintendo now in HD will sell just from the past fame itself. And as I see it, around $300 is reasonable because the console itself is about a ps3 or xbox which is around $200-250 plus the fancy tablet controller able to do all these things etc will most likely be around $100 or slightly less.

10. Dragon246

Whatever the price is , I doubt it will reach 50 million lifetime sales because it only stands a chance in the market till next ps , xbox comes as core gamers will definitely buy them and no one knows what wiiu priorities are. For casual gamers, wii was and IS enough , they dont need another console. Others who left ninty previous generation (aka core gamers) find little incentive to return to WiiU.

11. HauntaVirus

I’d buy one if they were $199, otherwise STFU and GTFO Nintendo.

12. ejams

@11 I agree, once it’s out for however many months and it’s had a decent run, the new set of actual ground-breaking consoles will be unleashed and all will forget about this. Trying to recreate the magic of the Wii just isn’t happening this time around

13. The_Red

While I tend to agree, I say NEVER underestimate Nintendo. I mean, they made billions off a crappy mini-game collection (Wii Sports). Now that they have Pikmin and a deeper mini-game collection (NintendoLand) they could get away with overpricing their system.

I mean, even Wii was expensive for its time and cost. The only reason $250 for that system didn’t seem too outrageous is because PS3 had the most insane pricing since 3DO console.