PS Plus June update – Virtua Fighter 5, inFamous 2, more for free

Tuesday, 5th June 2012 14:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has provided an update to PS Plus for both Europe and the US. We’ve combined both into one handy dandy post for you. Get the goods below.

Europe

Members will get 10 games up front and starting next month, three of those games will change, and you’ll get at least three more games per month thereafter. A minimum of 10 games will be available to play right away.

• Game of the Month: Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown – available until July 4
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – available until July 18
  • Chime Super Deluxe – available until July 18
  • Darksiders – available until August 15
  • Renegade Ops – available until August 15
  • Outland – available until September 12
  • Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD – available until September 12

For the next 52 weeks, whenever you join Plus you will be able to get your hands on these titles, available at any time over the next year and available for as long as you like as long as you are a subscribers.

• inFamous 2
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse
  • LittleBigPlanet 2

PlayStation Plus Presents – Retro/Grade – available this summer

There is a new theme and plenty of avatars available as well listed over on the EU PS Blog.

North America

PS Plus subscribers can download the following games for free starting today:

• Virtua Fighter 5
  • inFAMOUS 2
  • Little Big Planet 2
  • Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
  • Just Cause 2
  • Saints Row 2
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  • Hard Corp: Uprising
  • Choplifter HD
  • Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone
  • Sideway NY

More information is available on the US PS Blog.

1. TD_Monstrous69

This makes me glad to be a Playstation Plus subscriber. But also, a little angry. Because 3 days before their press event, I end up ordering a copy of LittleBigPlanet 2, receive it before Sony’s E3 show, only to find out I could’ve gotten it for free if I had just waited a few extra days. Fuck my luck.

2. K-V-C

@1 yea same as that. I bought burnout paradise complete edition for 40 euro bit of a rip off i know only to find out i wouldv gotten it free after the psn outage last year. are all of these games free or what i havnt been completely reading everything about this

3. OrbitMonkey

Strangers Wrath? Thankyouverymuch :-D

4. Dimaco

That’s some great added value right there.. Glad I didn’t get
    Motorstorm Apocalypse, then!
    :-)

5. nikk900

Looks like the US got a better deal than the EU, as usual.

6. lexph3re

Dude I was just about to buy Warhammer, Just Cause 2, Guardian of light and Ratchet. Ps plus paying off even more now

7. speedxl01

As I said in other comment,

LBP2 Infamous 2, and others free?? THANK YOU SONY! will we see something like this from MS? or they will keep charging for something free like online play..

Seriously this must be discussed at editorial level, it’s unfair for the gaming community not to bring this kind of issues to the table, because it affects the future of the gaming industry.

8. OlderGamer

This is a lot like Sega Channel.

Thats was a cable based add that pluged into your NA Gen(MD), you paid 15usd/month, but could play 50 games as often and as much as you wanted. Next month they changed those 50games.

This is a really good deal. Esp considering I already enjoy PSN+.

Might be the biggest suprise of the entire show as it relates to my gaming world. I knew most other things already.

9. Ireland Michael

Anyone know when this goes live for Europe?

10. freedoms_stain

@9, PS+ update is usually on Wednesdays 4pm-6pmish

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Danke.

12. DrDamn

If anyone else was a bit confused like me, the three EU ones down as for 52 weeks are also available to existing subs, not just new subs as the wording implies above. That’s inFamous 2, LBP2 and Motorstorm Apocalypse.

13. videogamejo

Can someone help me out? Something kind of weird just happened when I tried to download one of my free games.

I tried to download infamous 2. It took a while to download, but it finished and I installed to the HDD. However, I noticed that when I installed it, and looked under the info, it said that it would expire in 18 days, and that I had 60 minutes to play the game. So I got a trial instead of the full game apparently. I know for a fact that I purchased the game fromt eh free game section on ps plus.

What could be the problem? I just purchased Ps + today. Is that why its acting up? I haven’t tried playing infamous 2 yet, because I’m afraid that if I play through the trial that I won’t be able to get it for free with my plus membership.

Am I missing something? Is it going to say trial all the time and let me play through the whole game? I was under the impression that when I purchased PS + that I would be able to get all these games for free and be able to play them until my PS Plus expired. But for some reason I have a trial for Infamous 2. Could it be a glitch? Should I try redownloading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. aseddon130

@13 maybe the offer hasn’t started yet and the Infamous 2 version you got was a trial version that was on all along??? i don’t know.

I’m interested in this, i may get Playstation plus now. Might get some good use out of my PS3 now for a change.

15. DrDamn

EU or US store? It could be there is also an unlock key you need to download too (for free). Have a look for it.

16. Deacon

PS+ continues to improve and provide absolutely fantastic value for gamers! I’m proud to be a supporter : )

17. aseddon130

The infamous 2 version that is free is now up on the store, you must have downloaded the 60 minute trial version.

18. reask

Hey guys can I ask a question of you please.
    If I fail to D/L timed games before given date are they gone?
    Secondary question.

Man the USA is so much better but overall its a damn good reason to become a plus again.
    Fair play to Sony and MS should take note.
    Thanks in advance guys.

19. freedoms_stain

@18, yes (unless they were to come up again)and yes.

You can also re-download stuff as long as it’s still in your history I think.

20. DrDamn

“If I fail to D/L timed games before given date are they gone?”

Yes but you can set them to download and then cancel it before it finishes. As long as it goes through the “check-out” process then it stays in your download list as a “purchase”. Hence you can download it again at a later date by going via your download list bypassing the store where it may have disappeared – does that make sense?

So each month anything you want to try at some point but don’t have the space for/time to d/l at least try and download it.

“If I D/L them on to drive do I get to keep them for as long as I subscribe plus new games?”

Yep. I think you can also unsub then resub at a later date and get access to them back too.

“Man the USA is so much better”

There were some comments on the blog saying similar and the response was don’t worry too much about that. The implication being we will get similar eventually too.

I’ve officially got too much to play from PS+ now. I’ll limit my game purchases to essentials and bargains and keep the sub going.

21. Ireland Michael

@13 You downloaded the wrong one.

@18 As long as you’ve “bought” them (the red bag at the bottom right of the icon) they don’t need to be downloaded.

My HDD ran out of enough space for everything they’ve offered so far a long time ago! I just delete the games when I’m done with them and download another. There’s enough here already to keep me going for years…

There’s absolutely no catch beyond keeping your subscription going. Really.

22. OlderGamer

^^What Mike said.

PSN is an absolute value. You get your money back and then some with the games you can download. It is a lot like having a rental program or games on demand, but cheaper.

23. Ireland Michael

@22 If they keep this full retail game momentum going for the foreseeable, it’s going to be insane.

Im a huge fan of fighting games. I just got a new Virtua Fighter (my favourite fighting series) for nothing.

I love LittleBigPlanet. So does my son. Now my son can have his own copy to play whoever he wants!

I’ve never played inFamous 2 or Space Marine. Now I can finally give them a bash.

I love MotorStorm games. Now I have Apocalypse for keeps.

Insane. Insane insane insane.

I need a bigger HDD…

24. reask

Thanks guys for the info.
    @ dr damn.
    Nice one about reserving space but keeping the game on hold thanks.
    I will be a plus in the next few hours. :)

@ Michael.
    I played the first infamous and really enjoyed it.
    I have heard mixed reviews of 2 but at that price it is worth a bash.
    I loved the timed missions in 1 were you had to get to a point before the clock ran out.
    Probably not explaining it very good but anyone who has played it will know what I mean.
    You should enjoy it though Michael.

25. Ireland Michael

@24 I really didn’t like the fist one at all. I felt it was way too pedestrian and slow to open up for its own good, and I thought the story was godawful.

There are certain things I saw about the second that seemed to have potential. Is the whole mission creation thing any good?

26. reask

Haven’t played 2 yet.
    Yeah 1 was my first foray in to that type of game so it was new to me but I found it good fun for the most part.

Looking forward to virtua as I have never played that type of game so will be interesting.

27. daytripper

Gonna pick up a years sub soon. Could have offers on things like Starhawk DLC aswell as freebies

28. Phoenixblight

Infamous 2 is far better than the original. Its a great game and for the price of a sub its well worth it.

29. Ireland Michael

@26 Virtua Fighter is a very different beast to most fighting games – Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. There’s only one “easy” character to use in the game, Lei-Fei. The rest, you really have to learn how to use them effectively and what their skills are. It’s definitely not to everyone’s tastes.

It’s unquestionably the most complex fighting game out there. Don’t be surprised if you get your butt kicked online! Hahaha!

30. reask

Is renegade ops and outland free?
    When I go to it the options are £1699 for game or upgrade free?

31. DrDamn

PSN has the most arse about tit way of doing these things. Are you in the PS+ section? May have to download the trial and then the unlock upgrade.

32. reask

LOL DrDamn.
    I am in that section alright.
    I will try that and see will it work mind you I have about 5 hours of downloading going on atm so will prob wait till tomorrow.
    It looks good so I hope it is free.

33. reask

@ phoenix.
    Good to hear that about infamous 2 I look forward to it.
    I suppose that’s another good thing about + it lets you try genres that you wouldn’t normally spend your money on and if you like it you go on to buy the next in the series.