Remedy’s Sam Lake teasing new Alan Wake? “It will happen again in a town called Ordinary”

Sunday, 3rd June 2012 15:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy lead writer Sam Lake’s either gone and lost it on Twitter or he’s started teasing a brand new Alan Wake.

He tweeted the following last night: “It’s all true. ‘It will happen again, in another town, a town called Ordinary.’ It’s happening now.”

The tweet contained a link to a short story that basically screams ‘Wake’. This is what part of it says.

“In the dream I was visiting the previous owner of my house at the nursing home, only in the dream the owner wasn’t a sweet old lady, he was a man, and he wasn’t old, he was a young man with a dark hair – very good looking in fact. I remember that he was wearing a funny jacket with old-fashioned elbow patches.

“I was there to find out about the shoebox, but he was very agitated and didn’t listen to me. The place was brightly lit, it was sunny outside, but he was still very anxious and wanted me to turn all the lights on.

“He kept going on about the place being too dark. I remember being certain that all the lights were on already, but that didn’t calm him down. In the end he was screaming for me to turn the lights on. I was also starting to freak out, starting to think that something horrible was coming to take us away, and that’s when I woke up.”

Remedy’s not been shy in saying it’s been looking to continue the Alan Wake series. The studio’s head of franchise development Oskari Hakkinen told VG247 back in February the series’s last installment, American Nightmare, wouldn’t be the last we’d hear of the troubled writer.

“Alan Wake in general, the intellectual property, is ours, and it’s not the last you’re seeing of Alan Wake,” he said at the time of the release of AW.

The original Alan Wake came out in May 2010 for Xbox 360. The previously-announced PC release launched at the start of this year before the release of the bite-sized American Nightmare on Xbox Live Arcade. AW launched on PC last month.

1. Pytox

all these rumours ruin the surprise -_-

2. kupocake

Lead writer or no, Mr Lake wouldn’t have made it into a headline if his name didn’t rhyme so easily.

Better still, the news could turn out to be fake.

3. Ireland Michael

The franchise that never needed to be one.

4. The_Red

I respectfully disagree. Alan Wake is my fave game on Xbox 360. Now that doesn’t mean it’s the best quality wise. It’s that AW is a game that me and many other gamers really really enjoyed playing. Same goes for Demon’s Souls on PS3.
    You may not like AW or DS but it doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to become huge franchises.

5. Ali Hayas

My favorite 360′s exclusive. Lake rocks.

6. Ireland Michael

@4 At what point in my post did I say anything about Alan Wake being a bad game?

7. Maximum Payne

Alan Wake was amazing game for me.
    But DLC’s and now American Nightmare, both go into completely wrong direction.

8. Ali Hayas

@6 I actually agree. It shouldn’t have turned into a franchise. The team is creative and would be better off to new ideas and games.

9. pukem0n

Remedy just knows how to tell a good story.

Its the same with Max Payne 1 and 2. 3 isnt nearly as comparable to it in terms of storytelling or dialogue, especially Max’ inner dialogues

10. Phoenixblight

“Remedy just knows how to tell a good story”

I laughed. Alan Wake was Remedy’s version of “The Blob that ate everyone” even had a similar ending. Alan Wake just had a solid level design,lighting and gameplay but good story it did not have.

11. Quiiick

Alan Wake was a truly amazing game. Immensely enjoyed it.
    In fact it’s the only reason I still keep my 360 hooked up to the screen.

Just wish it was available for PS3 as well.
    … probably never going to happen though. :-(

12. TheWulf

That was clearly the inspiration, and thus it may be derivative, but why does that mean that it had a bad story? Just curious as to your answer, here.

Even Tycho of Penny Arcade thought that Alan Wake had a good story.

13. Ireland Michael

Unlike certain Japanese developers I don’t even need to name drop, the people at Remedy actually understand the basics of storytelling and how to construct a beginning, a middle and an end.

That is why it doesn’t need a sequel.

Anything after this is padding in a story that is already complete. A bit like how BioShock 2 was.

14. Ali Hayas

Spreading of Japanese games, the last one I bought was MGS4. Hated that one. I don’t know why, but I can’t tolerate Japanese culture in their games. Not there is nothing wrong (and who am I to judge) , but I just don’t like their games.

15. Quiiick

@#13
    I agree. Just like “BioShock”, “Alan Wake” is as complete as it can get. No need to create a sequel.

That doesn’t mean “Remedy” should not create another game that has the signature qualities of “Alan Wake” however.

16. Moonwalker1982

Could this mean a E3 reveal? If so…this E3 pressconference is going to be one of the best in years for MS.

17. M. K.

Remember the awesome max payne? Remember how great max payne 2 turned out? I can’t wait!

18. Erthazus

Alan Wake was OK. It was just ok.

19. Phoenixblight

so a 3-6th grade book is supposed to be a basis for a good story? Yeah RL Stine is not a good writer nor should he be a basis for anything. I could tell what was going on with the plot from the first hour and that is why the story was crap.

20. DSB

Not sure of what to think about it really.

Alan Wake felt like it was so close to becoming a really good game, but instead it just wallowed in it’s own little campy mediocrity.

I agree with PB, the story was simply a mistake. It actually had a lot of great elements and characters, but they were all trapped in a premise that was overplayed and underwhelming from the get go.

They did ride it out with all the story pages and stuff, but really it just served to underline how the quality of the content never fit with the ambition.

Remedy’s sense for characterization is something I sorely miss from Max Payne 3, which just takes the GTA model of making every single NPC a completely shallow cliche with absolutely no purpose but to portray their stereotypes.

Remedy need to lay off the wannabe Stephen King theme, and try to go their own way. The fact that development was apparently hampered by some previous designs that went wrong makes me think they might do better if they have a more focused go at it. I hope so.

21. The_Red

Well, you said it’s a franchise that never needed to be a franchise so, I disagreed :) IMO Alan Wake needs to become a huge franchise because its story and setting hold serious potential for all kinds of gameplay.

22. strikkebil

alan wake doesnt deserve a sequel. not good enough imo.