Guild Wars 2 server transfer fee to discourage casual changes

Wednesday, 9th May 2012 01:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although ArenaNet is happy to let you try out another server in Guild Wars 2, those who want to change loyalties permanently will have to cough up a fee.

Speaking to PC Gamer, lead designer Eric Flannum said that the team wants players to choose their home server – World – carefully, as it determines both who they’ll fight for in the MMORPG’s epic World vs World multiplayer as well as what bonuses they’ll receive for winning. If they change their minds, they’ll have to pony up.

“This fee exists because we want players to make transferring to a new home world a very serious thing and not something that players do on a whim,” he said. “Once a player pays to transfer, there’s a seven-day period during which they cannot transfer again.

“The fee should serve as a pretty large deterrent to people looking to jump on the winning side [of PvP events]. Beyond this, a player’s not eligible to receive any of the World vs World bonuses during the match that is ongoing when they transfer.

“Because of our matchmaking system, you can never be certain that your side is going to win the next matchup, so you’d be risking your money without any guarantee of being able to reap the rewards that come with victory.”

Don’t worry though, if you end up all alone on a server while your friends rock out elsewhere, you can pop over and visit with them.

“A player may also choose to play on any server where they have a friend as a guest. We want ‘guesting’ to be an easy way for players to play with their friends from different worlds, so we won’t charge any sort of real world money fee for guesting,” Flannum explained.

“Beyond that, we’re still working on what other restrictions we might need to impose and will announce more details when we have them implemented.”

Guild Wars 2 is expected to launch this year and is currently in beta testing.

1. TheWulf

Yup.

I really like the guesting feature. I played around with that a little in the beta, and basically you can guest to any server you like. The only thing that doesn’t change is your ‘home world allegiance.’ This is basically which server you fight for in WvWvW, and whether you get any server-related boons (based upon victory/defeat in WvWvW).

So it really is a big decision to change your home world, but you can just go and play on any server you like – either in America or Europe. It’s a really nice system and indicative of the sort of advanced, next step MMORPG they’re creating here.

2. GwynbleiddiuM

Basically exactly how it is in WoW in terms of PCM and it sucks. And about guesting, I dunno how it works exactly but appearing on a server for as long as you have a friend can’t be that interesting cause it’s temporary and surely has limited functionality. I like it the way it was in original GW you could jump between servers. But meh, I decided that I have no plans for GW2 at this time.

3. vee

@2 The only limit is that in WvWvW you’ll still represent your home server. Otherwise you can do everything. Don’t really understand your point about it being ‘temporary’ as it does not really matter which server you are on as all progress of your character is permanent.

4. GrimRita

The missing point here is that WoW has a sub and charges for transfers, whilst GW2 is free to play and charges for transfers. They need to make some money some how.

The guesting feature imo is genius,especially if someone is considering transferring to their friends server – gives them a chance to check things out before clicking ‘confirm’

5. viralshag

@3, When you Guest I don’t think you can take part in WvW at all. And reading the forums I don’t think you will be able to join a guild either as they are essentially locked to your home server.

There are some limitations but when it comes to simply playing the game with friends I don’t think there’s anything to limit the experience.

But I think GW2 is a fair bit off being a “next step MMORPG”. It’s a nice feature but really, popping onto a different server and starting up a new character to play with mates has never really been a huge problem for me…

6. vee

@5 Those are probably true, thanks for the correction!

This is hardly a feature that would make or break ‘next step MMORPG’, the strength of GW2 lies in the way it kills the whole concept of endgame. Whether that qualifies as ‘next step’ or not I do not know. But it is damn refreshing and goes against the age old concept! :)

7. viralshag

@6, As it stands I think GW2 is probably the closest thing to a “next-gen” MMO but I still don’t feel like anything I have seen is revolutionary or innovative to the point where I feel it completely stands apart from other MMOs.

It certainly is making improvements in areas and in certain features but until I have the final product in front of me and I have spent more than a weekend beta – which in the case of MMOs, are always hyped to have been amazing – I would rather wait and see if it truly is the start of a new age of MMOs.

I might have missed this and it is totally possible I did, but when questing in normal areas I really felt like the game was sorely missing a Rift-like “Join Public Group” button nice and big on my screen.

8. vee

@5 Actually it seems like guilds are global and not server specific. Here is the quote and source:

‘Another difference is that our guilds exist across servers. Think of each guild as having a distinct “chapter” that exists on any world where guild members make their homes.’

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/08/guild-wars-2-wants-you-to-play-with-friends/

@7 You don’t really need a generic grouping mechanic like that in GW2 as everyone gets contribution based on what they do.

9. viralshag

@8, The guild stuff is neat. So does that mean that I can essentially be a member of two guilds or that the guild I’m in on my home server will still apply on the guest server? I was more talking about joining a friends guild while guesting.

I don’t think it’s a generic grouping mechanic, I would have just liked an easy option to jump in and tag along properly. I just felt like it was so easy to tag along solo I could do that all game. I just feel if it was made really easy to jump into a group, people would continue together once that dynamic event ends and they move on.

10. vee

@9 I get what you mean with easiness of tagging along; it kind of takes a bit away from sense of belonging in a group and is what I thought too. When they get their chat fixed with hopefully proper /say, speech bubbles and whatever they are planning to add this feeling will mostly diminish I hope.