Report – Microsoft to release $99 Xbox 360 Kinect bundle next week with two-year gold sub

Wednesday, 2nd May 2012 16:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Next week Microsoft will launch a $99 4GB Xbox 360 Kinect bundle with two months of gold, according to sources close to Polygon. The two-year subscription will be “subsidized with a monthly cost of $15,’ and will be available through “Microsoft Stores in the US.” Microsoft has yet to confirm the bundle, and we’ve sent a mail asking for comment.

1. The_Red

F*** me. I just got a new 360 slim!! Seriously f*** me.

2. DrDamn

It’s not that great a deal when broken down – unless the streaming stuff is good. Total outlay is $460 vs. $420 if bought up front.

I’d like to see a nice good value Slim + Kinect bundle in the UK announced at E3 – that could tempt me.

3. M. K.

WTF?! Seriously? I guess the next Xbox is really coming soon huh?

4. polygem

@1: same here……but i bought it used for 130 euro. it is kinda brandnew though, only 2 month old with guarantee and all. i also kind of need more HD space than these 4gb and do not need kinect. this pricing will make reselling much harder for sure but pricedrops are always welcome!

5. The_Red

I know but still.
    Yeah, 4gb simply too low. I usually install games because of the load times and always feel the need for more space.

6. OlderGamer

Still, it would make a decent replacement option for people with aging systems?

But you have to agree to pay 15/month for two years right? Sorta like a cell phone contract. Meaning that 15 X 24 + 100 = 460 for the bundle.

Kind of sounds like clever marketing more then anything to me. But for some, maybe alright.

7. NiceFellow

Another buy now pay more over time lure?

I’ll never get why people go with these – even allowing for factoring in cost of money you’re always paying more vs just saving up a bit first then purchasing.

Clearly aimed at a certain demographic and I presume US only initially?

@7 I don’t see how it’s a better replacement option than just replacing it. It’s just a deal where you pay more in total for the luxuary of paying a bit less up front.

8. OlderGamer

I agree with ya NiceFellow.

9. pukem0n

seriously, 4GB xbox 360 + a Kinect??

and they STILL make profit on those bundles ^^

guess how much they make on regular priced ones :>

10. drewbles82

$15 a month, seriously. I dont know how much it is for a yr sub but heres i get mine for £26, thats like just under $40

11. ManuOtaku

I got one of the 4GB with the kinect in it, and then i purchase i cheap 250 GB hard drive and i did installed, i think i save 80$, therefore if one can find a very cheap hard drive, i think this is a great deal.

12. NiceFellow

@11 how is it a great deal? You pay (assuming it’s not a false rumour of course) $99 + $330 (22 months at $15 dollars – first 2 free if I read it correctly) = $429

In short, you can buy the exact same thing for less right now simply by purchasing a decent 4GB bundle – for example I see one on Amazon for $298. Assume two years of Gold at $40 dollars and you pay $378 for the same thing. It’s not a great deal.

This is simply a lure to get certain people to go “wow I can get a 360 for $99″. Once you factor in the monthly fee (which is your Live sub plus the rest of the cost of the console – ’cause you’re not really getting it for $99) you’re actually paying more that someone buying a bundle up front.

Now if you really have such cash flow issues that you can’t stump up the full price I can see the attraction, but you’re paying extra (as you always are with these deals) for the luxuary of spreading the payments.