Future Skyrim DLC could contain Falmer-centric quests, crossbows

Friday, 27th April 2012 14:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Files dug up in the latest Skyrim patch suggest future content for the game could contain crossbows as well a questline featuring those pesky Falmer who were once a race of elves.

Here’s a partial list of the files courtesy of RipTen. The full list can be found on the Bethesda Forums:

• Animations\[b]DLC01\Chair_SnowElfPrinceDialogueA.HKX[/b]
  • Animations\CrossBow_1stP_Walk.hkx
  • Animations\CrossBow_Aim.hkx
  • Animations\CrossBow_Equip.hkx
  • Animations\CrossBow_IdleDrawn.hkx
  • Animations\CrossBow_IdleHeld.hkx
  • Animations\CrossBow_Release.hkx

Those familiar with Elder Scrolls lore will know the Snow Elves lived in Skyrim centuries before the Nords came, and eventually enslaved by the Dwemer. Living underground all those years turned them into the hideous, blind Falmer you run across in Dwemer ruins in the game.

You’ll notice the files mention the Snow Elf Prince, who was the leader of the elves and led his race into battle with the first humans to enter Tamriel from Atmora. During the battle with the Nords of Nede during the second era, the prince was killed by a child at Moesring causing many of the elves to scatter.

Those found by the Nords were then slaughtered without quarter, and in order to save themselves, what remained of the race fled underground to the Dwemer. They should have just accepted death, as the Dwemer fed the elves a toxic fungi which caused their blindness and turned them into the horrid creatures they are in the game.

You can look at a depiction of what the elves looked like before becoming the Falmer in game by heading over to the Irkngthand Sanctuary. This is a Dwemer ruin you are sent to for a Thieves Guild quest, and while running about the place you will come across a large statue of an elf holding a book and staff. That, intrepid adventurers, is what the Snow Elves used to look like.

Since there have been reports around Skyrim of Falmer raids on cattle and crops it’s said that the race intends to eventually come back to the surface to regain what it has lost. The files found within the patch could indicate a possible ill-attempted try at this – or just a new questline.

Yesterday, Bethesda said we could be handed a release date for the DLC sometime next week, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled.

1. Maximum Payne

Skyrim and BF DLC are little bit late or its that just me ?

2. KAP

Just you.

People are so used to DLC to be released weeks after the initial titles but what most don’t really get is DLC “should” be a project thats made AFTER the main title, not during.

3. fightclubdoll

I am so looking forward to some Skyrim DLC …after Peter Hines’ Tweet …and the “late April” Kinect upgrade (that I’m starting to worry about considering late April is about to become early May). …Whatever, I’m just dying for some Skyrim DLC. And I’ve been intrigued with the Snow Elves since I first saw that statue of the Snow Elf Prince. I even read a book in Oblivion, “The Fall of the Snow Prince” that I believe was the same captivating little story. Better yet, after seeing and meeting the Falmer, I’d love to find an intact colony of Snow Elves. Better still, maybe I’ll even get to play one? I’ve said (a lot) I’m beyond sick of all the snow in Skyrim, and that I long for the green forests of Cyrodil again… but for Snow Elves, I’d happily endure the white wastelands a little longer.

4. Maximum Payne

@2 Yea but BF3 dlc is like what 4 maps and some new weapons ? And that is like almost 6 months after release.

5. Llewelyn_MT

Some people want special bows that take too long to load and need special arrows called bolts. M’aiq thinks they are idiots.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Skyrim DLC could come out next year and I would still be playing it. The game is like a good bottle of bourbon: you don’t guzzle it all in one setting, but instead sip on it here and there for a nice bit of pleasure with your cigar.

7. ejams

@6 Sounds like you have experience in those finer things :) And this sounds cool, a crossbow would be awesome, just for the single fact that its a crossbow. The snow elves thing is also quite a plausible DLC idea, and an interesting one at that. This will probably be the catalyst to get me back in to this game.