Splash Damage – Brink sold over 2.5 million units worldwide

Saturday, 21st April 2012 16:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Splash Damage CEO Paul Wedgewood has told Gamasutra that the studio’s multiplayer shooter Brink sold over 2.5 million units worldwide.

According to Wedgewood, sales of the title generated between $120-140 million in revenue, however, since the firm wasn’t the publisher, not all of the monies went in its pockets.

This is something it plans to remedy a slight bit with its new digital publishing arm, WarChest.

“As an independent video game developer, we don’t earn that kind of revenue, as we’re not the publisher of the title… but we could see there was the potential to serve our fans content directly, and while we don’t want to take anything away from what Splash Damage does, we wanted a vehicle that we can dedicate exclusively to that pursuit,” Said Wedgewood.

With WarChest, Splash Damage is aiming to produce titles which are both triple-A quality as well as free-to-play with “connected game experiences.”

The first title coming from the new incentive is Rad Soldiers for iOS, and later this year a new PC title will also be release, free-to-play. In 2013, the firm also plans to release a console title, which, again, will be free-to-play.

“I’d love to see our new publisher one day compared to somebody perhaps like HBO, who produces phenomenally high-quality TV shows,” said Wedgewood. “Everybody is happy to consume HBO TV shows because they’re really, really good, and I think that is the future of video gaming — you can think of the free-to-play market as television. Think of quad-A gaming as the big box office stuff that needs to generate $200 million just to break even.

“I think that’s the tier of gaming that’s going to replace the mid console market over the next generation of gamers. I don’t think you’re going to see a sudden outflux of gamers from consoles — I think it’s just a generation growing up and doing something else.”

You can read the entire interview through the link.

1. aseddon130

only thing was that 1.5million of them copies were purchased when the game was easily available for about £5 though.

2. Gekidami

^ Pretty much, the games price got slashed to death nearly instantly. Its easy to report big sales numbers when your game is dirt cheap.

3. freedoms_stain

How many people played it more than a few hours? That’s really what matters for a multiplayer centric game.

According to Steam I played 12 hours. 12 hours is NOTHING for a multiplayer shooter.

4. polygem

same here…. probably not even 12 hours. shame. i was excited about it. there was a huge potential. but it was a lazy game in the end.

5. Gigabomber

Was more like a tech demo. Lot of customization, movement system that shows how much better it could be for any first person game, and that was just it.

6. stretch215

Easily my biggest disappointment of the year. The premise was great, the execution was awful. I will be wary of anything from these guys from now on.

7. endgame

Yup. My thoughts exactly stretch. Though, Enemy Territory Quake Wars is quite decent.

8. Hunam

Quake Wars is brilliant, one of the best multiplayer shooters around. Brink was basically the same but with most everything removed.

9. DSB

@8 That was exactly my experience too. I was hoping for an improved Quake Wars, and instead I got the stripped down version.

I really can’t fathom how they screwed that up.

10. Mystic Sage

@6 I couldn’t agree more the SMART mechanics worked great but the maps where not open/big enough to really take advantage of it as far as using multiple flanks with the system. Also the matchmaking system was horrible constantly putting you in lobbies alone in which no one ever joins or where its 5v1 and your completely outnumbered. Also the multiple objectives was a great idea but did not have a big enough impact in the overall battle.

Was really looking forward to the game but it completely let me down. I wish every FPS had the SMART system now though. Can you imagine how much more convenient it would be getting around in BF3 if it had the SMART system. No more getting hung up on stupid railings and window seals.