PlayStation 4: Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release

Monday, 2nd April 2012 14:18 GMT By Patrick Garratt

VG247 has been told that Sony is aiming to release PlayStation 4 before Xbox 720 next Christmas, and that certain developers have been invited to reveal meetings in the US in May and June.

“Sony are completely in the belief that they have the jump on Microsoft this time. You should be watching the timing of next year’s E3 keynotes, and who’s going to go first.”

Following continued reports last week that PlayStation 4 is to be based on AMD hardware and is being planned for a 2013 release, a VG247 source has said Sony is aiming to get the machine to market ahead of Microsoft’s next generation Xbox.

The design goalposts for PS4, including specs, were in place at least two years ago, we were told. Our source said that Sony is “confident” it will have the console at market ahead of the next generation Xbox next Christmas.

VG247 reported this morning that developers and publishers have been told that Xbox 720 will be released for Holiday 2013.

“Sony are completely in the belief that they have the jump on Microsoft this time,” they said. “You should be watching the timing of next year’s E3 keynotes, and who’s going to go first.”

A second source said this morning that all next-generation systems will be in place “by 2014″.

Sony has apparently already put its favoured partners in the frame as to PlayStation 4.

“Top line publishers already know about it,” our source said. “Developers working with publishers – like Ubisoft, for example – already know what’s going on. They’re already working on it.”

While “most developers” will be fully briefed “by the end of this year,” some have been invited to events in May and June in the US.

Another source has told us more information is going to be issued about PS4 to developers under NDA in May.

MCV reported earlier this year that both PS4 and Xbox 720 “will be shown at E3 2012,” but both Microsoft and Sony have both said nothing consumer-facing about the next generation will happen at the LA event this year.

Direct to drive

In addition, a rumour is circulating that PlayStation 4 will use DirectX as opposed to a proprietary Sony API. It was reported last week that PlayStation 4 will not be based on PS3′s Cell processor in any way, and will instead use standard AMD hardware.

We were told today that Crytek was scaling its tech on the assumption that PS4 was going to be using a 24-core Cell processor as opposed to the eight-core unit in PS3. The studio was forced to halt development and start afresh when it was informed PlayStation 4 won’t be using Cell at all.

Indications are that PlayStation 4 will provide a development environment similar to that of the Xbox consoles and PC.

In addition VG247 has been told that elements of Vita’s launch hardware were changed to ensure that PS4 and Vita will be able to connect in a similar style to Nintendo’s Wii U and its controller – due for release this year – with Vita’s being used to control PS4 games with both twin sticks and touch.

1. Blerk

Doesn’t really matter, I’m buying neither until I see how they pan out.

2. LOLshock94

This rumour doesn’t really say alot :/

3. Colin Gallacher

I love it when things slowly slot into place.

4. DSB

So is that a trusted source or just another rumor?

If not, Sony are getting ambitious. Not bad!

5. back_up

PS4 will win just like PS1,PS2 and PS3

6. Prof.Dr.Moertel

You’re making this stuff up, aren’t you? :P

Abandoning the Cell structure seems to be a good idea. Should solve the problems in game development and porting, I guess.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Well, whether the source is reliable or not is one issue, but unless the PS4 has a minimum of a 12 month headstart and a launch line-up full of killer apps, I don’t think it’ll make much difference to anything.

8. Patrick Garratt

@2 – The takeaway’s that it’s happening really quickly.

@4 – Trusted!

@6 – Even I’m not that silly :D

9. Dannybuoy

I’m buyin http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/images/8/84/Merchant_re4.jpg

10. Blerk

Microsoft did a console ‘really quickly’ this generation, if you recall. And it worked GREAT! :-D

11. Razor

lol, all kicking off.

12. Freek

@10, it did work great, they never said it was supposed to work great for a long time. :p

13. ManuOtaku

Well i think 2013 for both consoles is really a must, they dont want to give the Wii U two years of headstart, that will be to much IMHO, but i think this E3 will be the best, i think they will be showing something about this, just to eclipse in some form the Wii U momentum, i cannot wait for E3.

14. Lord Gremlin

Direct X in PS4 and no Cell? That’s an idiotic rumor. What would be the reason to buy it instead of moving to PC?

15. ManuOtaku

#14, because home console market is increasing every gen, maybe that has something to do with this.

16. Zeydlitz

It’s quite strange — AMD CPUs are preatty weak in floating point calculations, and current CELL could do math much faster than any of them. Could no understand, why Sony would use such slow stuff in next gen

17. dravenkaze

Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release

yeah in japan….so doesnt mean a damn thing if they cant get ps4 to the rest of the world before xbox 720

18. ManuOtaku

Sony “confident” of pre-Xbox 720 release
    I think they are confident, because it has blue -ray in it 8D

19. Anders

Blu-Ray in Xbox 720, Direct-X in PlayStation 4. Huh.

20. OwnedWhenStoned

So EVERYONE is a PC gamer in the next gen. Just in different shaped boxes.

21. Joe Musashi

Sorry son, if your ‘source’ isn’t legitimate enough to put a name to their OMGEXCLUSIVEINFO!!11 then why should I give a damn? Give a name, not excuses.

People never seem to learn that this stupid rumours game is utterly pointless.

JM

22. Maximum Payne

@16 Because they want CPU and GPU on single chip which again is not ordinary thing.

23. OrbitMonkey

I really don’t care about all this spec, speculation. You might as well tell me it runs on pixie dust and unicorn piss.

24. daytripper

Hope the next generation PSN is a lot better than the current one

25. daytripper

Lol @ Unicorn piss

(loves random humour)

26. Moonwalker1982

What the fuck…it’s monday, not even april fools and all these next gen console stories start showing up. You’d really do think its april fools. Didn’t Sony say they weren’t planning anything on PS4 at all?

27. aprotosis

Time to turn on the Internet Wayback machine. Back in 2007, one of Sony’s jabs at Microsoft was that the original Xbox only lasted 4 years while the PS2 lasted 7, showing that you can’t trust Microsoft to stick it out and continue to deliver what gamers want. Specifically he said the PS3 would have a 10-year cycle and will definately last longer than the 360.

Now we see the 360 pushing past the PS2′s record and Sony has turned around with a purposfully shorter lifecycle. Times, they be a changin’

28. Megatron

I don’t think Microsoft will allow Sony to use Directx in their box its their proprietary API and only available for Xbox and Windows.

29. OwnedWhenStoned

@28 that depends how much they are willing to pay to licence it. Everyone has a price. Unfortunately as (low level)graphics APIs go it’s increasingly the only game in town (come back Glide and OpenGL, all is forgiven..)

30. Erthazus

“In addition, a rumour is circulating that PlayStation 4 will use DirectX as opposed to a proprietary Sony API.”

ahh bullshit.

Someone thinks about Direct X in the Sony’s Console? There won’t be any for different reasons and Direct X will not stop Sony to use it’s capabilities in some other form like they did with Nvidia GPU and Cell.

If Sony will use Direct X, good luck with certification. You basically become a Microsoft puppet.

I don’t see any reason in this at all or AMD is pretty much a retard.

31. Erthazus

Also, hilarious thing that Sony is so FUCKING scared this time that they are doing a proprietary PC hardware for it’s console (for the first time, EVER! PS1, PS2, PS3 used it’s own stuff so no one could easily port exclusives to other consoles.). They basically confirmed that PS3 was a failure and they also won’t bring Cell to the PS4 for backwards comp. because of it’s retarded architecture and costs even to this day.

I guess, no one can’t make a machine that is better than PC. :D Bwahahaha and if they are going to use 7+ AMD GPU (Northern Islands), then next year there will be 8th series and you can kiss goodbye to the next generation on consoles.

Well, kids will still believe it when Sony will say to them. :D

Ahh, Sony, why you are such a FAILURE? :D At least you will finally give us a boost to the next gen so i could use my PC power to play great games.

32. ManuOtaku

# 31 “I guess, no one can’t make a machine that is better than PC.”

I dont want that either,i mean i dont want a console better than a PC, i just want a very affordable machine that doesnt needs constant upgrades to keep it current bleed edge, but that has a good graphical punch nontheless, sorry but i dont want a console that costs two thousand dollars or even more, that wouldnt be realistic either in the business side of things for any of the big three.

33. Christopher Jack

You’d be surprised how well word of mouth from early adopters sells, I know literally dozens of people who only bought a 360 ‘cuz their friends had one & they want to play online with them despite them believing the PS3 to be superior.

Also, why the hell would they bother with Direct X? They’d be doing everyone a favour by using OpenGL.

34. Bojangles

@31 Good to know we have an authority on FAILURE in our midst.

35. Erthazus

@32, Great PC don’t cost two thousand dollars.

For example, PS3′s launch price aka 599$ was enough for a fantastic PC that was powerful then PS3 at launch and could play all games on it and they were cheaper.

Also, just for fun. 7970 AMD GPU cost around $549.99 right now because it is a fancy, new and sexy GPU. There is no reason to buy it for gamers right now.

Next year when consoles will come out they will use this card for the next gen. It’s going to cost for 200$-300$ for PC.

I’m sorry, what? PC’s were always affordable and it’s going to be interesting how much these two consoles cost in the end with it’s current tech. :D
    New cards and etc. requires some coolers inside it. Current videocards are a pain in the ass because of it’s power.

“very affordable machine that doesnt needs constant upgrades to keep it current bleed edge”

So don’t upgrade your PC. Is there a problem?

36. back_up

sony is afarid of nothing
    No PC exclusives and DRM proves developers are scared of PC gamers

37. Dragon246

@35, PC needs constant upgrade, consoles dont. I would have loved to see cell architecture develop further. Also what is this case of AMD supplying hardware for BOTH xbox720 and ps4? Looks weird.

38. GenericShooterSoldier

Dont worry…the world will have ended by then

39. StolenGlory

@37 Don’t forget AMD are also supplying the innards for the WiiU as well; meaning that they’re supplying the innards essentially to the whole next-gen.

40. Erthazus

@37, who said that, Sony to your brains? That you need constant upgrade?

PC does not require a constant upgrade. It requires you the same upgrade that you do from PS2 to PS3 to PS4.
    But if you want your games to look gorgeous than you have a choice to upgrade it.

“Also what is this case of AMD supplying hardware for BOTH xbox720 and ps4? Looks weird.”

Because they are cheap.

41. Sadismek

I don’t want to team with Erthazus here, but I have to agree that PCs don’t need constant upgrade. For example with my 4 years old PC, which I only upgraded once, for another 2 GB RAM, I can run AC: Revelations at highest settings, FIFA 12 at highest settings and it is very rare when I can’t run a game at it’s max, but it is no problem for me, because I’m no graphics geek. I plan to change my GPU and probably my motherboard next year, and after that my PC won’t need another upgrade for a loooong time.

Now, I came quite late in this whole console thing, when I bought my PS3 last year, but I must say I’m happy with it. I am looking forward to the next generation, can’t wait to see who is “the winner” :D

42. ManuOtaku

#35 I mean if the newest console wants to keep at pace with the PC graphics wise, they need to create a chip or a set of hardware that will surpass the best of the PC right now, and one that will need to last for at least 5 years ahead in time for is entire life cycle, and i order to do so they need to create a hardware that could easily cost that amount of money in order to keep it relevant, or like you put it , better than a PC for is entire lifecylcle, therefore from a business standpoint of view , it is a no-no and also for a consumer point of view, therefore like i said i prefer an affordable console with a good graphic punch, even if it is years away from a bleeding edge PC down the line in the upcoming years.

43. manamana

What is already a payne in the ass, are constant patches and updates via networks. And on Playstation its even worse because most updates arent alowd in the background. This is getting worse, not better. Consoles ARE already PC like, with constant upgrading software and different hardware iterations within a generation cycle.

44. Patrick Garratt

Oh yeah. That Kotaku thing about PS4 being called Orbis? It’s true. Or it was, anyway.

45. rainer

The Direct-X stuff is absolute nonsense so that right there is a read flag about this rumour & article.

Direct-X is a family of API’s used exclusively by Microsoft, they are not available for license and are only available to the public via Windows. Sony’s PS4 console would have to be a PC running Windows so that’s about as ridiculous as you can make it.

Sony don’t use OpenGL either they use their own in-house API similar to OpenGL ES.

GPU’s are designed to the Direct-X specification but the OpenGL format is largely the same, much of OpenGL4 maps to Direct-X 11.

46. OlderGamer

I think both Sony and mS are selling you a pipe dream anyways.

Modern consoles are a price vs performance issue. In both respects PC wins that round. The thing consoles have going for them is ussualy price and accesibility. You buy it, it plays games, all of your friends play the same games on the same hardware with the same performance levels at the same (online comunity network)place. Its supossed to be hassle free. And for the most part it is.

PCs need upgrading btw, saying they don’t is crap. And thinking that average gamers can rip out a motherboard or slap in a new GPU once every couple of years is just plan silly. I wouldn’t even know where to find the motherboard on my PC(and I am a PC gamer). Most PC gamers I talk to, in games or out of them) tell me, that like me, there graphics are middle of the road at best. In truth, my ps3 has better graphics then my PC does. So, when talking about PC and consoles lets try and keep in mind that AVERAGE everyday Jack/Jill gamers are not internet gaming geeks w/mountians of know how. They just want to play games. Affordable, easy to get to games.

Hence that brings us back to consoles.

And why I think MS and Sony are going the wrong way. I think the cost of their new systems are going to put them out of reach for many. Sure they come down over time, but then they don’t. _(The current gen trend is not to lower the price of the system, but instead put more “Value” packed into the box so the consumer precieves a more worthy purchase)(This is done with bigger hardrives, pack ins, headsets, 3 months starter gold memberships, etc) But the problem is that actual price for a new gamer to get into said platform doesn’t fall like we are used to in past gens. There is no sub 100usd PS3, and there isn’t going to be one.

So they are expensive.

Next we have to ask ourself, what do we get for our investment? I know some of us are expecting giant leaps and bounds forward. I have been saying all along, it is not going to happen. If all you ever played was a Wii, PS4 is going to look stunning. Just like if last gen you were a PS2 only gamer, xb360 was a very nice step up. But look at our newest ps360 releases. They already look good.

Where do you think its going from here?

Not very far, imo. You can expect 60fps at 1080p. You can expect better drawn in(but that isn’t a problem now). Maybe more 3D. And a slight bit of bells and whistles. Thats it. Graphicly speaking. I bet in many cases the first wave of next gen games don’t even match some of today top benchmarks. Some of those PS3 games like Uncharted are damn pretty to look at.

I think next gen will be more about how games are delivered then what quality those games are. I expect a huge digital push. I expect platform holders to hit back at used games. I expect subscriptions for big name franchises(EA sport sub that updates roosters each year instead of buying a new dvd at the store every season)(CoD sub that include a years worth of DLC). Stuff like that could be huge. Free download/demos that you can “Upgrade/unlock” the whole game with(digitaly).

I think graphicly we are nearing a glass ceiling. One part because of cost of hardware, no one will try and sell a 700usd system again. One part because of storage space. One part because of dev cost/time/investment. One part because of TVs only display so much(many people do have 1080 tvs, but 720tvs out sell them, and almost no one off of the street is going to care about 4k tvs). Some of us think the sky is the limit. I really don’t.

Its either going to be nice(little bi better then we currently have) or its going to be very expensive. Worse case is that it is both of those.

Thats why I like what Nintendo is doing. Affordable system. Games that Nintendo can afford to dev/pub. With a focuse on a cool looking tablet style controler(so that the games actualy play and feel different/fresh). I like it.

At this point, I have already decided not to buy the MS system. I am keeping an open mind towards the Sony offering. But I am waiting to preorder the next Nintendo system. Until then I am very happy playing my medicore PC.

It honeslty is not about graphics. We all say it, but how many of us really buy into it?

47. G1GAHURTZ

48. Lounds

I think everyone is forgeting the industry would not be as big as it is if it weren’t for Sony’s input, they created thousand of jobs in gaming industry and help studio’s all over the world become sucessful. Everyone raves about the sucess of the 360 but I don’t see it, the PS2 had more studio’s making games for it than anyone even in today standards.

49. Lord Gremlin

I don’t think they will abandon cell. They invested a lot, and I mean it – a lot in it. AMD GPU is possible though.
    Cell allows for unique things, remember 16x anti-aliasing? Just imagine what devs would do with 24, 36, 48 cores instead of 8?

50. Maximum Payne

@49 I don’t remember 16x anti-aliasing.

51. Sini

God of War 4 better be mind blowing and launch release or no one cares sony.

52. Erthazus

@49, lol wut? 16x anti-aliasing? Haha, mhm… okay.

@OlderGamer, agree with everything except that there won’t be a huge leap in graphics. This is not true at all.

Just look at the Samaritan demo and it is 3.975 unreal engine, not the 4th one.

53. The_Red

Dude, it’s not like that you can add 24 or 36 cores to the same architecture and expect results. Cell has a unique architecture and based it bus limitation and other things, you can’t just add “more” to make it more powerful. Also what unique 16x AA!?

54. shogoz

youre right, sony should have instead built a time machine so they can get computer chips from the future so when they come back they can bring it out right away and it can be the latest technology. noones ever happy. i’m just glad the graphics will be better.

55. Dannybuoy

I’m bored of this, I’m going for a poo

56. TheOutcastWolf

If I do remmember they said they would give the PS3 a life cycle of 10 years, so the “PS4″ would be launched arround 2 or 1 year before the end of the PS3 cycle…

Shall we also remmember that those news about new consoles started to be rummored EVEN MORE this weekend? Why would just now? :3

57. bo_7md

It is good that they are learning from their PS3 mistakes.
    Reverting to DX is a good move, while we so PS3 exclusives with better graphics than other games there wasn’t enough game publishers willing to put the resources for a dedicated PS3 programmer = Buggy PS3 games.

58. DSB

@57 I missed that initially.

Yup, it really sounds like Sony are getting serious.

If they’re looking to beat Microsoft to the punch then that’s also the ultimately invalidation of the approach they had with the PS3.

If you’re going to justify a more powerful console then it also needs to last longer. Pretty games are all well and good, but I think most people favor functionality.

It’s going to be really interesting to see where this goes. Sony seem to be getting back on track.

59. Eddie Rodrigues

@Everyone

Well, it seems unlikelly that this is true, they said 10 YEAR LIFE CYCLE for the PS3 and that’s what the fans want. Most people just bought their PS3 and sony is very aware of that, they just started the REAL life cycle of the console. Not to mention what they invested in the cells (but I did anyway).

PLUS THIS IS JUST AN APRIL’S FOOLS JOKE! REALLY GUYS, VG247 HARDLY POST ANYTHING ON THE WEEKEND SO THEY DECIDED TO POST ON MONDAY THEIR “NEWS” ABOUT NEXT-GEN CONSOLES, JUST SO EVERYONE THINK THAT THIS IS REAL…