Fargo “not going to worry” about attracting inexperienced fans to Wasteland 2

Wednesday, 28th March 2012 04:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Brian Fargo has said he isn’t focused on pleasing those who don’t have a background in classic RPGs; Wasteland 2 isn’t for newcomers.

RipTen asked Fargo how players who hadn’t experienced the original Wasteland and other RPGs of its ilk could possibly relate to Wasteland 2.

“The thing about this project being fan-funded is that I’m not worried about this new group of people and how they might get it,” Fargo said.

“This is being made for people that grew up playing Wasteland, Fallout and Fallout 2.”

The veteran developer commented that he expects people new to the genre to enjoy Wasteland 2 should they try it, but in the end, they’re not the sequel’s intended audience.

“I’m simply not going to worry about how I get these console guys to come over and like it, because there is no reason to,” he said.

“It’s not a putdown on the console product, it’s just that I’m not going to worry about how to get [fans of other genres].”

Fargo knows quite a lot about juggling the pressures of his hardcore, old school fanbase and a newer crowd; he admits that The Bard’s Tale didn’t appease that core group of fans.

“I set out to do a light RPG that was a parody. For that effort, I think I deserve an A. For the hard core, they wanted an absolute Bard’s Tale sequel, so for them, it was an F,” he said.

“In my defense, I accomplished what I set out to do. Just like with this Wasteland game, this is what we’re going out to do: old-school RPG, deep cause and effect, dialog, exploration, etc. We’re now going to execute that.”

Wasteland 2 has attracted more than $1.5 million in crowdfunding. It is a follow up to a classic 1988 RPG which heavily influenced Fargo’s next project, Fallout, and many other party based RPGs.

Hit the RipTen link above for the full interview; it’s a lengthy one covering a wide range of topics.

1. hives

Hah, I love this approach :P It’s nice, because fans of first Wasteland will get awesome game (let’s hope they will…).

2. Noodlemanny

I might not have play the original or either fallouts but I’ve played plenty of old school FF and similar games to be interested.

On a side note, what I don’t understand is why their minimum ‘success’ funding was 900,000 for a birds eye view, turn based RPG, when TakeDown is going to be a 3D first person shooter but only needs a min of 200,00, although it does say their going to use private investors. Anyway shame it looks like TakeDown isn’t going to make it.

3. freedoms_stain

@2, “Takedown” isn’t going to make it because Serellan weren’t clear on what the $200,000 was for, which is NOT to make the game. The $200,000 was to establish the studio, prove interest in the project to investors (who would then provide real funding for a multi-plat shooter to the tune of millions) and start work on an Alpha. To the Kickstarter backer that’s a much bigger risk than a studio who are asking for either the full or significant portion of the funding for their game.

4. DSB

@3 Well it would take them to alpha.

I think they had a shot if they had been more specific from the get go. Saying you have a “team” (of people you don’t mention) and a “game” (the title of which you don’t have) and that you’re funding it to alpha is too non-commital.

I still think it would’ve been worth funding for a lot of the old tactical nerds. It just wasn’t backed up by the media.

5. freedoms_stain

@4, as I understand it, in the (likely) event that they don’t make the funding they’re going to try again and rectify all the mistakes they made on the 1st run.

6. DSB

@5 Yeah. I hope they make it, but that leaves them with another problem.

“Once-failed Kickstarter campaign reboots” isn’t nearly as good a story as “Former Red Storm Interactive project lead seeks funding for tactical shooter”.

These things are a lot about momentum, but I sorely hope they make it. I’ve been dying for a tactical shooter since 1999. Hopefully the internet will be benevolent.