Blizzard already has “general framework” in place for fifth WoW expansion

Friday, 23rd March 2012 19:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard COO Paul Sams has tikd CVG he already knows what the next World of Warcraft expansion entails, and that SVP of creative development Chris Metzen and his team already “know what they’re going to be doing for multiple expansions ahead.”

Mists of Pandaria is the fourth expansion for WoW, and Sams said the “general framework” is already laid out for the fifth.

“They’re [the] lore creators. They’re the ones who drive what the world looks like today and what it’ll be like tomorrow and beyond,” he said. “I think the future of World of Warcraft continues to be bright and I think Mists of Pandaria is going to breathe huge life into what I believe is the best MMO out there.

“I think the number of people we have playing and the level of enthusiasm they have for the game suggests that to be the case. This is the next of many ways in which we’re going to grow and improve and evolve this game.”

The beta for Mists of Pandaria went live yesterday.

1. fearmonkey

The new expansion will be Fog of furries.

2. Cormac

Alot of the people I played with are simply bored of wow and unless it’s completely overdone (not a chance since they’re already making another mmo) all these expansions won’t make me go back, and I assume all my friends who moved onto minecraft/star wars

3. GwynbleiddiuM

Metzen already said in BlizConn they’re planning Illidan’s resurrection so I take it we might have a chance to revisit the Outland or other realms, that are tied to that lore.

@2 My entire old guild left to play SWTOR and they’re all returning back to WoW, no matter how repetitive WoW became, there’s not a single title out there (except EVE Online and really soon GW2) at their core are not really any different from WoW. I played most of them except SWTOR (since they block IPs to an entire region these days) and there are not really any distinctive changes anywhere. Yeah, Rift has a cool talent system which grows boring and frustrating by the minute and a stupid lore that no one cares.

So no, people are looking for different things but it’s nowhere to be found. So they eventually either return for new WoW expansions or move on to newer titles to give them a try, trust me that’s the pattern, been there a lot.

4. DSB

@3 I doubt that GW2 is going to move very many things forward compared to games like Rift and SWTOR. The hype does seem to be hyping itself somewhat at this point, probably fueled by how fed up most people are with everything else. The same thing happened with SWTOR. As opposed to SWTOR, GW2 is going to get serious about the gameplay though, and that’s where it’s gonna make a difference.

WoW was always its own worst enemy. Right now I think everybody’s been there, and done that. There aren’t a lot of new customers out there. If they lost subscriptions, it was usually down to a mistake on the behalf of the developers, or a decision that sent some people away to bring in others.

That’s one thing I don’t miss about playing MMOs. If you really become a nerd and specialize yourself in playing a certain way, and you’re serious about raiding with a bunch of good friends, then it really sucks to have things turned on their head, or having to adopt a completely different playing style every time the developers get bored.

5. Erthazus

“Metzen already said in BlizConn they’re planning Illidan’s resurrection ”

This can’t go any worse than there already is.
    How about ressurecting, Lich King?

That’s just bullshit in my opinion.

They are already making Garrosh as the biggest enemy in Pandaria which is a stupid and not the most creative thing ever.

@4, “I doubt that GW2 is going to move very many things forward compared to games like Rift and SWTOR. The hype does seem to be hyping itself somewhat at this point, probably fueled by how fed up most people are with everything else.”

It sure will move a lot, because Guild Wars 1 was innovative to begin with, but it had not the strongest PR support when it came out.

This time around it’s completely different and they are making it more sandbox (which people like)

“I’m still pretty skeptical about using the game as a storefront, I’d much rather have a subscription, but either way, it’s gonna be the first MMO I play since WoW.”

Guild Wars will not use the subscription system but there will be a lot of Addons + they will sell a bunch of emotes and pets via Nc Soft store like they did with the first game and it worked for them.
    It’s just a different Business model that Nc Soft wanted to be a king.

6. DSB

@5 Even if we pretend that WoW lore was ever anything but tacky and borrowed material, how do you reckon?

Illidan used to be a good guy, and just like Garrosh, he was eventually turned by hatred.

Kel’thuzad was killed and resurrected by Arthas in Warcraft 3.

And the Lich King is still very much alive. He now occupies Bolvar Fordragon.

WoW hasn’t ever tried to make more sense than your average soap opera, it’s a functional narrative meant to keep the game going. Complaining about things like pandaren (when you already have anthropomorphic cows, bears, wolverines, serpents and wolves) just seems a little odd.

Didn’t you realize it was a pretty relativistic universe until now?

I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Guild Wars 2 is going to try to turn anything on its head. It’s still going to be the same formula, but it’s going to be improved and it looks like they’re making a big effort on levelling especially.

This is a pretty good preview series:

I’m sure everybody wants to see it kill the old MMOs with fire, but let’s see how people feel once it’s actually out there. It’s not hard to maintain a boner when you’re spending 5 minutes skimming through a preview, but you’re talking about a game that has to last for hundreds of hours.

7. Erthazus

@DSB, Bolvar Fordragon as the lich king is kinda meh… We don’t know much about him so i though that his story will be somewhere in Warcraft 4. I will be surprised if they are going to milk Northrend again… at some point.

“WoW hasn’t ever tried to make more sense than your average soap opera, it’s a functional narrative meant to keep the game going. ”

Warcraft for me was never about soap opera. For me it was about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFoQ9Sy33hc

Medieval “motherfucking” battle, destruction and etc. between Orcs and Humans and that’s why current WOW model is … shit. But with pandarians it is The shit on the completely different level and we can call it LoveCraft for now.

About Guild Wars 2. Wow, these are some fantastic previews. Thank You DSB.

8. DSB

@7 I see your point, although I appreciate the variety of races, but I don’t see how the story has gotten worse. It was never great. It always relied on style.

I’m glad they got it right and managed to prove the MMORPG to the world, but I wish they’d put their minds to doing something special at this point.

Personally I’d prefer if they did Warcraft 4. I don’t understand how they can make a game as great as Warcraft 3 and just leave it there. In my opinion it stands head and shoulders above any RTS.

It’s also about getting back to their singleplayer roots and honoring that. I really didn’t see any point to playing the singleplayer in Starcraft 2. Beyond the zombie mission, it was a pretty superficial tack-on to the multiplayer. I still haven’t gotten my 60 dollars worth out of that game.

They definitely want to build communities into everything now, and that’s a shame. Then again, back when they did Diablo 2, everybody was demanding a better online component, so they could be damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

9. Levester

Im in the Mists of Pandaria beta and ive been playing like mad. its extremely buggy at this point and very few keys DONT crash the game. having said that, I promise that this expansion will captivate any REAL wow player. it feels like vanilla. it plays like vanilla. if u like mmos, if u like warcraft lore, if u like the REAL (vanilla) World of Warcraft, Mists of Pandaria will not disappoint you.