3 million new iPads sold during first weekend

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 02:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Apple’s third generation iPad tablet has shifted 3 million units since release on Friday.

“The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold – the strongest iPad launch yet,” worldwide marketing senior vice president Philip Schiller said in a statement.

“We can’t wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.”

Apple did not release sales figures for the iPad 2 at launch.

The new iPad is currently available in 11 countries but will spread to a further 24 at the end of the week. US pricing ranges from $499 for the 16GB WiFi-only version right up to $829 for the 64GB 3G model.

The latest version of the little tablet that could boasts a Retina display and larger battery.

[image]

1. shogoz

I wonder why the team at apple find the need to discredit other tablet making companies if their product is so awesome.

2. DSB

@1 Same reason why everybody else does it, because they can.

Sadly patent portfolios and the subversion of copyright law purely to serve corporate interest has gotten entirely out of hand.

Building patents that might hurt your competitors, and making sure you make them as crazy and overreaching as possible is now as much a part of making a product as… Actually making a product.

I don’t think it can keep going that way.

If Apple had the powers they have today 30 years ago, the PC probably wouldn’t have happened. It’s incredibly hurtful to progress and business as a whole.

Sadly modern executives don’t recognize anything that happens 5 minutes from now, nor do they recognize any standard of ethics that isn’t directly enforced by law. The greater good can go fuck itself. There are yachts to be bought and competitors to be sued off the market.

I think it says a lot that Microsoft and Apple are both relying on lawsuits to win the war against companies like Google, who are really a lot more adaptable and progressive than either of the two.

The way you threaten the gods of old is by delivering the future.

3. Christopher Jack

@2, Microsoft actually has some level of business ethics, despite their own ‘success’ in the mobile industry, they aren’t trying to get rid of their competitors the way Apple are. Yes they are suing them but they aren’t aiming at getting their products off the shelf, only the royalties for using what Microsoft claims they own- this is how lawsuits should work, obvious kirf products being the exception but Apple has to change this in order to try & create the monopoly they so desperately ‘need’.

4. DarkPyroZXA

no thanks, i’ll stick with my still-better IdeaTab from Lenovo, Android is a far better OS than iOS, and Flash compatible, how ppl can (and want) to throw their money away to an inferior tablet is beyond me

5. Christopher Jack

@4, Superiority is completely down to perspective, I agree with you, I do think Android is superior but it also has many things keeping it back that iOS excels at, consistency being one thing, simplicity being another.

6. DrDamn

How people can fail to see beyond their own needs and preferences is beyond me. As mentioned by Christopher Jack a lot of people value simplicity and consistency over technical points. If it does the things they want it to in a way which suits them, then they will use it more and ultimately it’s more valuable to them.

7. Da Man

#3 Keep telling yourself that, MS deliberately put bugs in Windows so that the competitive office suite from Lotus malfunctioned. They flooded the market with their shitty Mac OS clone, using PCs as the trojan horse.
    They ‘helped’ Nokia waiting for the moment they borderline folded.. MS are the vultures of computer software.

Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Android.. Still can’t see why would I buy something almost as expensive as the iPhone but with inferior iOS clone installed, inferior performance, plethora of malware on the market, jittering Gui and well, oh the ability to tinker with pointless stuff. I don’t even use Flash on the desktop computer anymore, even Youtube allows Html5 videos.

8. viralshag

I caved in and I’m waiting for mine to be delivered in the next couple of weeks. First iPad for me so I’m happy about it. :)