Pachter: Wii U won’t be “as popular as probably Nintendo thinks”

Monday, 12th March 2012 11:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Wii U won’t be the popular juggernaut Nintendo thinks it will, Michael Pachter has said, adding the firm has “Dreamcast themselves”.

Asked if it was releasing Wii U prematurely by a viewer, the Wedbush Morgan analyst said in his GameTrailers show Pach-Attack: “The reason that you’re saying that it’s premature, I think you’re really trying to suggest that it’s not going to sell well.

“I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme, then it’s probably not going to sell well unless it’s priced a lot cheaper, and I don’t think they’re launching the console at $150.

“So, yeah I think they are about to Dreamcast themselves. I don’t think Wii U is going to be as popular as probably Nintendo thinks it’s going to be. Question is, what does Nintendo do next, and I don’t know the answer yet. Let’s see howWii U sells, and I’m not going to predict this demise until I know pricing and features. When I know more about it, I’ll offer a better opinion.”

Wii U is expected out in major territories in time for Christmas. Thanks, Nintendo Universe.

1. Gekidami

“[...]as popular as probably Nintendo thinks it’s going to be.”
    English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

2. Night Hunter

Pachter should just STFU. That guy really is annoying

3. Maximum Payne

@1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CfNarCjSHM

4. The_Red

No, this is not “Dreamcast”ing. DreamCast was a console way ahead of its time with features much more advanced than the generation prior to it (PS1). It had next-gen graphics and revolutionary online capabilities.

Wii U is simply Wii HD with a tablet as a controller. It will mostly feature graphics on par with current generation (If E3 demos are any indication) and will feature a basic and most likely out-dated online system unless a western company helps them.

5. Clupula

I think it will be successful only because Michael Patcher is always, always, always wrong.

And it’s a shame too, because I actually agree with what he’s saying here, but I guess that means I’ll be proven wrong too.

6. Sini

Naa, while patch is wrong 9 out of 10 times, yes, he is right when it comes to obvious stuff. Wii U a failure is an obvious one.

7. forest1865

“I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme” This guy is a complete joke and has obviously never seen a Wii U or Xbox 360 to suggest the control scheme is the same…Laughable- How does this guy keep his job?

8. maddoggwolfenden

Sorry to disapoint you all with your Nintedno bashing but Patcher is a moron! He said Touch screen gaming will never work (when talking about the DS all those years ago. Now the DS most successful console ever. And he loves Apple and how they have made gaming great with their touch screen accessabilty)

He Said the Wii will be the death of Nintendo. Wii has sold more than the 360 and PS3.

Motion controls will not take off (referring to the Wii) now a system can’t be taken seriously with out having them as at least an option.

He said the 3DS would fail and force Nintendo to release game on iOS and not make any more consoles. The 3DS is now official the fastest selling console of all time. No other system has had a more successful launch!.

The only question I have is why this guy gets published with all his stupid comments.

As for the Wii U it can run Unreal4 engine something that will NOT run on 360 or PS3. This means its NOT in the same tech level as those two.

I love the 360 and previous Playstations generations (sadly not been a fan of the PS3). Both Systems can still be pushed a little further just yet and this is why neither M/S or Sony are announcing something to rival Nintendo.

Anyone else comments on Nintendo using old tech in all their consoles should learn to read.

The Nes was far more superior to the Master System.

The Snes had more colours, Sprites and many other things that the megadrive (aka genesis) could only dream off until the silly add ons like the 32x and Sega cd.

The N64 was twice as powerful as the Playstaion and Sega Saturn but was let down by the storage medium of cartridges.

Even the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 in the specs count.

The reason Nintendo used the same tech for the Wii was to save cost. Sony and Microsoft lost money on each of their consoles sold in the first 4 years of this generations life. And thats taking in to account the rather expensive cost of the PS3.

9. ManuOtaku

#8 i agree 100%, you cover pretty much all aspects i wanna touch in this topic.

10. polygem

nintendo has the most unique software out of the bunch. people will buy it just for this if the pricing is right. you also get the beloved nintendo ip´s in full hd glory plus third party support this time around. also you get a sleek tablet controller to play mario kart for example with a friend without the annoyance of split screen, or you can play new super mario bros wii on it lying on the couch…also the wiiu will have even better specs than current gen consoles. again, if the pricing is right this device will print money!

11. bo_7md

Personally i think it all depends on how Nintendo plays it. If they manage to attract good hardcore games early then they win the market share.

I don’t think releasing the Wii-U early or the fact that it is more powerful will give it that big of an advantage. If the history of consoles taught us anything, it is that what people care about is cost, playable games and convenience. It’s never Power (PS3 vs Xbox360 vs Wii1) or the all-in-one mentality (PS3/xbox360 vs Wii).

The main selling point of the Wii was that it appeals to a new market of Family (Mario games)/Older people ( yoga /Personal Training) now that this market is tapped the question that remains is, Will they, Nintendo, be able to attract that same market again ?

Edit: Added Wii1 next to ps3 vs xbox360.

12. orakaa

Like it or not, what made the tremendous success of the WII is its accessibility and the fact Nintendo developed a new market: the casual crowd, people who were not specially into gaming.

The problem, with those customers (let’s face it, it’s a business), is that they have a VERY low loyalty rate. Most of them were not that much into gaming and don’t have a nostalgic value towards the brand and its icons (Mario, Zelda, etc.). If you look around you, you’ll see that amongst the families (non gamers before Wii arrived), most of them have shelved their Wii and only get it out once every six month. Those people wouldn’t pay $300 for another device they won’t use a lot.

So, can Wii U be a success?… yes, if the price is low enough, or if Nintendo manages to find a real interesting gimmick. The tablet controller is not that revolutionary, especially now that the iPad and other similar products are released and already INSIDE the house of those potential customers. It is too late for the tablet controller to appear as really new or “fresh” enough.

Now for the third party support… I’d wait before saying there will be a lot of titles from other developers than Nintendo. When Wii was announced, some publishers tried to support it (especially Ubisoft, with titles like Red Steel or Raving Rabbids), but Nintendo didn’t really help them.

13. Stardog

It’s all on the 3rd-party games, and Nintendo will probably fail at attracting them again.

I was a Wii buyer on day one because of the price and the interest in the controllers. The Wii U doesn’t really have either of those interest points, and the price will probably be double what the Wii was.

And to sum it all up, people loved the Zelda demo that was shown, but Nintendo say that won’t be the franchise’s future.

The signs point to this being a bomb.

14. manamana

Software sells hardware. Nintendo must ensure great games from the getgo, nothing else matters.

15. TheSneakyLizard

Michael Pachter should get a cockmeat sandwich.

16. YoungZer0

@8: Neither the DS nor the 3DS are consoles …

17. Just-Joe

Yes, let’s guess about a system we still know little about.

18. YoungZer0

@17: Guessing is his job.

19. stealth

He was wrong about

wii
    3ds
    ds

so let him talk

20. maddoggwolfenden

@16 Both are ‘Portable’ Video games console. What would you class the Ipad as? Either way Patcher has said that both the DS (years Ago) and 3ds would fail. He also said touch screen was going to be a fad (right up untill he got his Ipad that is).

My point is Patcher does not know what he is talking about. Why not employ someone who has worked in the industry or at least done a degree in it (as I have) and let them comment. You don’t find my sports commentators who have no history in sport now do you? Why should gaming be any different?

21. Clupula

Portables and consoles are two different things.

22. maddoggwolfenden

@21 so why is every Vita game a dumbed down version of a ps3 game? If you look on the box of a 3ds, ds, gameboy advance and Gameboy you will see the words ‘portable video games system’.

If we are being all anal then neither the PS2 or PS3 are games consoles. They are interactive multi-media devices like the Philips CDi!

the CDi flagshipped v-cd’s and how many people had the PS2 has there first DVD Player? And How many people own a PS3 use it for Blu-Rays?

I’m not going to waste my breath on the UMD format

23. mistermogul

They can suck it up if Wii U bombs… http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=173571

24. DrDamn

“My point is Patcher does not know what he is talking about. Why not employ someone who has worked in the industry or at least done a degree in it (as I have) and let them comment.”

And then @22
    “@21 so why is every Vita game a dumbed down version of a ps3 game?”

Patcher may well not know what he is talking about, but neither do you.

25. maddoggwolfenden

@24 I challenge you to find 5 vita games that do not have a bigger andn better version on ps3

Vitual Tennis, Wipeout, Mod nations, fifa, f1, hotshots golf, dynasty warriors, rayman, Ninja Gaiden and Ridger Racer and these are the flag ship games.

Uncharted is a a spin off so I will let that one off but the list above are the same game with elements added or removed due to being on a portable.

I want the Vita to be a success but at the minute there is not reason to buy it over a PS3 other than to play the same games on the move.

I ain’t saying its any better on Nintendo either. But at least there is Resident Evils: revalations and Kid Icarus that haven’t appeared else where yet. We need proper portable exclusives.

26. DrDamn

Hold on I’ll get you more ammo you still have a bit of your foot left.

Your point was that they were dumbed down. Wipeout 2048 – brand new game for Vita, nothing dumbed down but added features for the handheld market. Hotshots – again all new game, nothing dumbed down but additional features for the handheld market. Rayman – the same as the PS3 version with added touch screen stuff – game already suits the handheld market. Unit 13 – perfectly weighted shooter for a handheld machine, game design and structure not dumbed down but adapted to suit handheld market – leaderboards, daily challenges, mission based. Motorstorm RC – the very same game as the PS3 version, not dumbed down.

27. maddoggwolfenden

did you manage tolist 5 games that are not the same as the ps3 versions? I counted 3 and then Uncharted so 4 in total. But playing Wipeout hd and Wipeout 2048 is practicial playing the same game. Unit 13 is a fully original title and if I had the spare cash one I woul;d likely buy with a Vita because of that. The others you have listed are cheaper on a PS3 (which is around the same price as the vita hardware).

I understand that Sony can’t do much about the price of Vita at this time (they are making a loss on each one as it is) and don’t blame them for that.

I AM NOT HATING THE PS VITA I want it to sell and be equal to the 3DS in sales. The best games are made in compition. When the battles are closer the companies push the systems more. Look at the ‘Golden age’ (the 16 bit era) The Snes and the Mega Drive pushed exclusive games every month Nintendo launch with Street fighter 2, Sega hit back with The Championship edition, Nintendo counter with the Turbo Edition. Then you see Gunstar Heroes on MD, Nintendo have Metroid. Nintendo launch Starfox, Sega hit back with Virtual Racing.

I really think you have missed my point about Patcher not knowing what he is talking about. He would be happy if Nintendo and Sony stopped making consoles and made games for Ipad’s

28. DrDamn

I absolutely agreed with you that he doesn’t know what he is talking about. No umbrage there. I also don’t argue that some Vita games provide similar experiences to PS3 counterparts. The bit I disagreed with was Vita games being dumbed down versions, they aren’t. They provide more in some cases and in others they enhance the bigger console(*) versions (Motorstorm RC integration for example). If you want a couple more games which are different then Frobisher Says and Escape Plan – that’s kind of irrelevant though.

Vita is still in the launch window too. Plenty of variety in the games at launch covering new and existing franchises, plus some good stuff on the horizon – Gravity Rush and LBP for example. I have the problem of too much stuff to play.

(*) NB: agree here too, a handheld is still a games console.

29. maddoggwolfenden

Glad we agree on most things. You can see my point tho. I think the other issue was that they launched with Uncharted which had only just had a PS3 game launched. maybe if they had launched it later on it would have been better

I’m going on the ones I have played personally. Virtual tennis, Wipeout and Uncharted. All three are very simular to there bigger brother but cost more to play them. Virtual Tennis was the biigest let down. It is good but plays just like VT2009 which costs less than 10er in most places. But then just how much can you do with a tennis sim?

I really look forward to LBP as the Vita maybe the system that the game was meant for. Its a shame that Sony Cambridge aren’t revealing too much yet.

Maybe the rumoured GTA could be the game that really kicks the Vita in to overdrive. It took Mario Kart, Mario 3d Land and Monster Hunter to kick the 3ds into the postion it has now.

30. DrDamn

Ah ok. Respectfully disagree though :). That was actually fairly close to my viewpoint before. With the PSP I don’t think Sony really understood the handheld market. They just brought bigger console games to a smaller screen. I thought they were doing the same with the Vita. However their understanding has fundamentally shifted and it’s right down into the DNA of the machine in how the OS works. The social aspects, notification systems, daily challenges and ways you can set up friend challenges makes the system. It changes how you play games that you may have played loads of before (Wipeout for example).

31. stealth

its funny how much hes changed his tune, now he thinks it will do great

32. ManuOtaku

#31 based on the fact he is always dead wrong i hope he keeps thinking that way, i mean that they will flop with it 8D.