IGN Sweden launched

Friday, 9th March 2012 17:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

IGN has announced a new partnership with games media group, Reset Media AB to publish IGN Sweden.

IGN Sweden will be under the day-to-day control of Reset Media, with games media veteran Tobias Bjarneby as its Editor-in-Chief.

The site will mix Swedish language editorial and video content with localised editorial from IGN’s English language teams in the US, UK and Australia.

“Having experienced our best ever year internationally in terms of readers and revenue, we’re excited to be partnering with the respected team at Reset Media to develop IGN Sweden,” said Ian Chambers, international VP and managing director, IGN Entertainment.

“Our strategy of teaming up with expert regional publishers allows us to build the IGN brand internationally, connecting with new groups of gamers in their own language. Our partnerships in Europe are just the beginning of plans for expansion in 2012.”

Best of luck to all in this.

[image]

1. Ercarret

While I enjoy a Swedish IGN site (being a Swede myself), I don’t really see why IGN proper bothers with it. I mean … IGN Sweden. Really? The US version of the site probably have single posts that draw more readers than IGN Sweden will draw per month in total.

I’m not against IGN Sweden in any way (it is nice with a local version), but it just seems like such an odd expansion when IGN could launch a site aimed at for example the Spanish or Portuguese speaking community. Such an expansion would make much more sense to me.

2. DSB

I feel the same way about Eurogamer DK.

You’re really not doing anyone any favors. With an international site you have access to writers from around the world, and I think that makes it easier to recruit. In Denmark you’ll have to take what’s there, while exposing yourself to far fewer readers.

It could have something to do with Sweden being fairly strong when it comes to studios. If they can draw on the Sweden guys whenever there’s a thing, it might be cheaper in the long run.

3. jacobvandy

@2 Hit the nail on the head. They’re hoping for better access to DICE, Mojang, etc. “Look, we have a Swedish site, you have to give us a preview now!” Doesn’t cost that much to put up a re-skinned page for a specific country, so if it leads to some better content for their main site, it’s easily worth it.

4. Ercarret

I didn’t have the same problem with Eurogamer SE (or DK), since EG already had pretty much every other West/Central European market covered. Those guys knew our place. :P

5. laxan96

Another website to add to speed dial in opera then. Hope they will create a good forum if they even will have a forum, maybe they will make the swedish website lokk and be exaclty the same as the uk site.