Valve patent shows Steam Box-like control pad

Monday, 5th March 2012 05:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A patent dating back to 2009 shows Valve has been cooking up a controller like the one mentioned in connection with its rumoured Steam Box.

As noted by The Verge in its original story, turned up a Valve Corporation patent for a control pad with customisable inputs.

The patent shows a control pad in which the buttons and analog sticks can be swapped out with unusual inputs like trackpads. The control pad automatically detects and adjusts its input-output for new components. It wads filed in 2009 and published in 2011.

Rumours about Valve’s foray into hardware manufacturing broke over the weekend, and made specific reference to just such a controller. Details of a micro PC developed by Valve’s Greg Coomer have been tentatively linked with the project.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Garo

The world of consoles needs Valve philosophy of business!! Go Valve Go!!

2. Brenna Hillier

Updated with correct crediting.

3. JRNO

I have a feeling that the ‘big reveal’ for the system is going to be the fact that you’ll be able to play every game you already own in your Steam library right out of the gate.

4. ManuOtaku

If this goes along the lines of their new steam system, that could be like a console, well iam all in, mainly because iam not a PC gamer at all, never have been, due a combination of reasons, but if this is true alongside the control pad, i will get it for sure, just for the PC exclusives games, the newest ones and the oldest ones as well (diablo, grim fandango, etc).

5. Erthazus

@3, if it’s going to be like that, than i have no choice but to buy it :D first day.

6. viralshag

@5, As you are someone with a pretty decent gaming rig, I have no idea why this appeals to you whatsoever?

As a PC gamer, The Steambox does absolutely nothing for me. Why would I want to buy a second “dedicated” gaming PC when I have a perfectly capable, and probably better machine already?

I don’t see any advantage of this for someone with a decent rig… I’m sure buying a long cable to hook up your TV to your PC would be a much cheaper option with pretty much the exact same result.

I have no idea who the target market is for this hardware.

7. silkvg247

I’ve yet to understand why nobody has made a controller with a trackball. Thumbsticks are shit.