Report – GameStop looking into GAME acquisition

Wednesday, 29th February 2012 17:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A source close to MCV has said GameStop is interested in acquiring troubled retailer GAME, but not its Australian end of the business.

The reason, according to the anonymous insiders is that GameStop already owns the EB Games chain in that region.

“It’s widely known GameStop is looking at Europe,” specifically in the UK and Spanish regions is the word.

GameStop runs 6,627 stores in 17 territories and this includes the EB Games outlets in Australia it obtained through the 2005 Electronics Boutique merger.

Last month the firm closed its remaining shops in Northern Ireland which were down to three, and in Portugal it closed 16 stores.

The firm said it was part of a “natural consolidation and switch to online” but analysts believe has more to do with a possible step towards an acquisition.

GameStop called the report “market speculation or rumour”.

Stock in GAME fell today 15% after it announced it wouldn’t be carrying Mass Effect 3 at launch.

1. Suikoden Fan

that flies in the face of this though http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/25/gamestop-ni-closures-part-of-our-plan-to-exit-bricks-and-mortar/

2. laxan96

I really hope that gamestop will build new stores in the canarian islands, cause here we just got GAME in santa cruz and now good game stores anywhere else. I mean all the turists is in the south plus a huge procent of the population.

3. mojo

well as far as im concerned gamestop ist teh biggest pile of shit in the entire game store history..
    they are greedy bastards (buying preowned games for 10€ and putting a 45€ pricetag on it infront of the seller) with no sign of knowledge about video games.
    one even insisted that there is no godfather game for ps3. I told him 3 times that there is, but he refused to believe me..

Well, whatever dude. That was my first and last visit in a gamestop store.

4. Froseidon

@3 – So you had one bad experience with a store and now you have a stick up your arse about every other store and outlet they have. Good thinking… *Sarcasm intended*

5. Valkryst12

@4 Now I can’t say EVERY GS/EB store is fucking woeful… however almost 95% of the time I’ve spent at their various stores around my country .. the customer service/pricing and general level of quality has been less than horrible. My experiences at GAME though have been reasonably decent.