Report: Sony working on new console using AMD tech

Thursday, 23rd February 2012 08:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony is working on a new, unannounced console that will implement AMD graphics technology, according to a Forbes report.

The report cites “former” employees of AMD as its sources. PlayStation 3 has used NVIDIA tech since its inception.

AMD and Sony chief transformation officer George Bailey have both refused to comment on the matter, with the latter even refusing to, unsurprisingly, acknowledge its existence.

Reports in the past year have indicated that development on PlayStation 4 has kicked off in some form at several developers from the Sony Worldwide Studios family.

The console was reported earlier this year to make a surprising debut at E3 in June, but that has been debunked by Sony boss Kaz Hirai.

Sony launched its next-gen portable PlayStation Vita in the US and Europe yesterday. It released in Australia today.

Thanks, Gekidami.

1. Christopher Jack

Can we please fine some more believable pictures please? That glass thing is ridiculous.

2. Dannybuoy

^ That concept has been kicking around for ages. It’s a concept, a fan made render. It has become the poster boy for the next PS. It obviously won’t look like that, but what other photos can be used for the header image? Exactly. There isn’t anything to accompany a rumour :)

3. Christopher Jack

Well there are several believable mock ups, this one however, in my opinion, just looks stupid.

4. Patrick Garratt

Give us a link to something better and we’ll swap it over.

5. matirishhh

There is no chance that SONY will introduce a new console at E3. They are focusing all the lights on VITA right now. It would be way distracting from a marketing perspective to show the new console. Next Year perhaps.

6. Maximum Payne

@5 Microsoft on another hand…

7. daytripper

Can’t believe someone would genuinely complain about a fake pic of a rumour only console in a short news article.

8. KrazyKraut

AMD is cheaper.
    I am sure they will show a new console on E3 2013 or TGS 2013.

9. matirishhh

@Maximum Payne TRUE

10. Gekidami

@Pat
    Use this pic.

11. StolenGlory

So this essentially now means that AMD have fingers in all three next-gen pies then?

12. Maximum Payne

@10 Seams legit :)
    @11 Imagine that ? Nvidia would be so furious. I like it.

13. Christopher Jack

@Pat, I don’t want you to switch pics, it’s not that big of a deal, just that console design bugs me, its design just makes no sense to me, I’d rather Sony release a PS4 that looks like Gek’s pic.

14. Goffee

I don’t care who designs the chips as long as they get some industrial genius to do silent cooling. Home entertainment should not whirrr.

15. Patrick Garratt

:D

16. Patrick Garratt

Changed it.

17. G1GAHURTZ

Wow, Awsome! So the PS4 will have 4 BD-drives??

Scoop!

18. Maximum Payne

@17 Yep, you can play up to 4 different game in split screen with your friends !

19. Phoenixblight

Microsoft has already stated multiple times there will be no announcement for the next system this year. 2013 seems to be the year of the next gen.

20. ManuOtaku

#17 i think sony finally realize that offline multiplayer with 4 players is a great thing, the issue here is that for this is needed 4 controllers not four drives, but well is an step further i guess, 8D

21. Christopher Jack

@20, No, 4 different games at once! Connected together is some horrible world where we do 2d platforming with Kratos, fighting chimera with sackboy , killing gods with Ratchet & Clank & finally, Sweet Tooth doing some adventuring in Uncharted lands. :D

22. ManuOtaku

#21 Man that sounds great, here i hope some sony executives were reading your comment, who knows maybe it will replace the ideas of a ratchet all 4 one 2, it will be more appealing IMHO 8D

23. Christopher Jack

24. TD_Monstrous69

After reading this, I’m pulling for an early 2013 unveiling at its own event in Japan (much like how the Vita was unveiled, though I wouldn’t be shocked if this were shown off at TGS 2012). My only real hope is with their next console, they utilize a processor that can multi-task better than the PS3′s. Also, bring back the 4 USB drives, so I don’t have to buy a media expansion bar for my future PS4.

25. OlderGamer

I can not put into words how much I am looking forward ot the next generation of systems. This is like the generation that never ends, on and on and on. I am grabing the new Nintendo system if that makes it out this year,and am going to try and pick just one of the two new systems between MS and Sony. I am leaning PS4 at this point. Time will tell.

26. fearmonkey

@25 – I completely agree on this never ending generation. I love my 360 but I am eagerly awaiting a new gen.

My hope is that MS and Sony do not try to out-Nintendo Nintendo. What I mean by that is skimp on ram and hardware to have a modest performance increase. MS and Sony don’t have the franchises that Nintendo does, they won’t pull it off that well.
    If Sony releases a PS4 that is the same performance as the “loop”, then I’ll stick with MS. If Sony blows the next gen MS machine away, Ill favor Sony. I favored the Xbox and Xbox 360 the last two generations, but if Sony smokes whatever MS offers, I’ll favor them.

27. Joe Dirt

The processor was never the issue. It was the way Sony divided the memory that limited its multitasking. That is why no Party/Cross game chat, etc.

28. Lounds

Nvidia couldn’t give too shits about consoles, it’s costs them time and money to produce out of date chips, they will be more focused on the mobile sector, that’s where the money is for them. AMD will acept any moneys atm.