Over 5,000 games use Hero Engine, MMO use surges

Wednesday, 22nd February 2012 20:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Neil Harris, COO of Idea Fabrik, has announced over 5,000 developers licenses have been obtained for the firm’s Hero Engine.

According to the firm, the surge in interest with the engine, especially with MMO development, is due to the success of Star Wars: The Old Republic which uses the Hero engine.

He also said the surge in MMO popularity, especially with Trion’s RIFT – which uses it’s own house created engine – has helped as well.

“In January we [were] inundated with thousands of inquiries from studios, large and small, more than in any other period in the company’s existence,” Harris said, adding that the firm offers two different tools to developer: Hero Cloud which is an online hosting service for 3D games; and the Hero Engine for online game development.

“We’ve been watching Hero Engine’s evolution over the last several years,” said M2 Research analyst Wanda Meloni. “The technology has really become quite mature. My guess is, you’re going to see Hero Engine not only continue to be a dominant platform for MMOs, but that the reference products the company is developing will illustrate that it is viable for other genres of games as well.”

Via: PR, Develop.

1. GrimRita

I didnt know Rift used, so it must be the programmers over at Bioware who are at fault for the clunky nature of the engine and game design, because Rift looked good and had all the key elements required from an MMO today

2. fearmonkey

@1 – Outside of Wow,, Rift was probably my favorite MMO ever. I haven’t tried SWTOR yet, but if it performs badly, it isnt the engine’s fault.
    Rift played and looked great.

3. Kabby

Indeed. Star Wars runs pretty badly on most PCs if you are used to the smooth performance you see in Wow, Rift and even Tera.

4. GwynbleiddiuM

Rift is actually pretty good, I tried it but the lore is broken, and after leveling 2 chars to 25-30 I still had no idea who was who and who were the leaders. I only knew one NPC name and her name was Asha Catari (I think). I don’t like games with broken lores, that’s pretty much why I still play WoW after about 4 years.

5. GrimRita

@2 very much what I was thinking. Its hard to believe both (Rift and SWTOR) use the same engine and SWTOR is a dog, especially when theres more than 20 people on the screen(pvp Ilum!).

Rift was solid in terms of gameplay and probably the highest levels of service I have seen from an MMO, outside of Blizzard.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@all

Sorry if there was some confusion in there. Trion does not use the Hero engine, but its own (I thought that sounded “off”). Harris just mentioned its popularity was a factor in the surge of MMO development which has had a direct effect on the Hero Engine doing well. Sorry about any confusion. I think something got lost in the process with Google translate as far as the press release was concerned. Anyway, my bad, I should have been more specific, and please note that the post has been clarified on the matter so I don’t confuse anyone else.