The Amazing Spider-Man trailer offers rapid fire webslinging

Friday, 17th February 2012 01:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man features a giant metal spider thing apparently called a Rhino, but who cares? The first part is all web slinging!

The Amazing Spider-Man is due in time for the movie franchise reboot in northern summer, and is the product of Beenox, which made the last couple of Spider-Man games. They were actually pretty good which gives us some hope this one might also evade the licensing curse.

Thanks, CVG.

1. TheWulf

Well… they’ve done the impossible. They’ve made Spider-Man look boring. Those aren’t his colours, after all. Instead, they’ve gone with dark, low contrast, washed out colours.

Which Marvel hero are they going to put through the Iron Age-ish dullifier next? Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t give him pouches.

Can we have another Ultimate Alliance instead? But one that follows the more colourful aesthetics of the original game rather than similarly washed out, low contrast colours of its less wonderful sequel.

Really, this style of ‘realism’ was never popular with comic books. I don’t understand why they thought it would be popular with games. I mean, didn’t they learn from the terribad third Spidey film? (Which also washed out the colours of Peter’s costume to make him oh so grimdark.)

Seriously, this style reminds me of emo Peter from the ’90s clone saga, and that’s not a good thing to be reminded of.

2. TheWulf

You know, on a related topic, this is one of the reasons I loved the hell out of Bulletstorm.

I’m often bewildered as to where the colour has gone from games, and why we’re playing games that almost look monochrome due to their lack of colour. Skyrim suffered this problem so prominently that someone actually put together saturated texture packs and it made the game look better.

Granted, I know a strong palette of colour wouldn’t suit every game, but… why not create more games which are colourful? I suppose that this is one of the reasons why I’m excited by Pirates of New Horizons, and why I’ve been gravitating towards indie games.

Arkham City had this problem too, which I have to bring up regardless of how much I liked that game. Outside of its neon signs, it’s fairly flat colour wise. And moving on from there, Gotham City Impostors is nowhere near as colourful or charismatic as its cell-shaded trailers.

Why do developers/publishers seem to believe that colour is unpopular?

Indie titles which are colourful have thrived. VVVVVV, Aquaria, Fortune Summoners, To the Moon, and so on. It seems that the new ‘grey & brown’ is just simply excessive desaturation. And that’s the problem with this game, too. Just, quite simply excessive desaturation.

Do they really, honestly believe that by having a decent level of saturation and colour, that gamers would flip a shit over it? That every game with colour would be “TEH GHEY” or what have you? It’s ridiculous. I honestly feel that we’re well on our way to just going greyscale.

“What our studies have found is that people don’t like colour. So all of our future games will be greyscale, like you’re watching them on an old black & white telly. Our marketing analysis shows that this is precisely what gamers want, as gamers find the very notion of colour objectionable and offensive.”

I can totally see that happening.

Where did the colour go?

3. viralshag

I think it looks pretty decent.

4. Gheritt White

Robot enemies? REALLY?

5. LOLshock94

@1 Dont take it out on the game take it out on Sony pictures.
    @4 Did you ever play the old ones?

6. Gheritt White

@ 5: Spider-Man games? I’ve been playing Spider-Man games since ‘Spider-Man versus The Kingpin’ on the Megadrive.

The most recent Spider-Man game I’ve played was Spidcr-Man 2, the movie tie-in game. *Man* that game was good!

7. LOLshock94

@6 Can you not remember on spider man 2 were you had to vs mysterio? because there were robots in that.

8. TheWulf

That’s actually pretty intelligent of you. Keep posting like that and I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of you.

Anyway, the thing is is that I agree with you, however, this is an extension of the problem, and it was the choice of this developer to actually embody the more depressingly dull Spidey we’ve had in recent years.

See, I might be an old fart, but the best years of Spidey that I can remember were back when he was in college, he was ridiculously smart, and he could handle most criminals whilst also being the best wind-up artist the superhero world has ever seen. But he was also the first one to talk and to be ready to reason, if the offer was on the table.

That Spidey wasn’t just some grunt, that he was actually a college kid nerd, is what made him special. He didn’t have a sense of style, he swung around the city in a costume of primary colours that even he acknowledged was unfashionable. But it was his way. It made him memorable.

What boggles me is that the comics industry had a foray into this, too, like I said. They had this period where Spidey became boring and so very Iron Age-y. He became oh so serious. And it was tremendously unpopular. So much so that they lost loads of readers to it.

It wasn’t until they got their act together at some point post clone saga that the comic started to be popular again, and they realised exactly why the comic was so popular. This is why Ultimate Spider-Man embraced the college kid nerd aspect as well, as have all recent reboots.

And yet the entertainment industry is still going for that incredibly serious, Iron Age-ish Spider-Man that was never popular. I mean, take a vote here, do you prefer a washed out Spider-Man that isn’t able to crack a decent joke to save his life, or do you prefer the more goofy version that dresses in primary colours and defeats his opponents with not only webs and punches, but with razor sharp wit, too?

Part of that goofy version of Spidey is in how he dresses, the primary colours of his costume are iconic. What I see when I look at this trailer is tha they’re going to make Spidey serious, because in an outfit like that, having him act goofy just isn’t going to work.

I kind of hope they pull it for a while to do a redesign of Spidey himself. Beccause gods damn, I would love a good Spidey game. I agree with whomever cited Spider-Man 2 as well, that was a good one! As was the PlayStation Spider-Man game, as was Spider-Man vs. the Kingpin.

Where did it all go so, so wrong?

9. TheWulf

I think the problem 4 has is that this is something that the Avengers would fight. See, Spidey has always taken on villains with a strong sense of character because that way he’s able to exercise his wit and sometimes even reason with them. It’s what makes him who he is, and the polar opposite of ‘heroes’ like Frank Castle.

Often, when a scenario uses a robot, it’s so they can have a characterless villain. I know, I know, I find it disappointing too. After Wall-E you’d think we’d have more interesting robots, after How to Train Your Dragon you’d think we’d have more interesting dragons, but you know how our industry is… as depressing as that is.

So yes, the point is is that a big robot like that is a sign that they’re using a dialogueless opponent so that they won’t have to make Spidey quite as goofy. Thus they won’t have to concentrate on decent writing, they won’t have to hire someone to write funny lines for them. By concentrating on the more serious Spider-Man (which no one likes) it’s cheaper for them.

However, it also makes it very likely that their game won’t sell.

I’m almost tempted to mail them with the written equivalent of a sledgehammer to the head, because I’m absolutely amazed at why they think that this is a good idea. Either they’re phoning it in, or they just don’t realise that this game is going to bomb.

And that’s disappointing.

10. TheWulf

Hrmn. >_>

You know, I actually want to see a Spider-Man game that has a ‘snappy patter’ button, and bosses which have confidence metres. So that if you use the snappy patter button at just the right point, you fire off a cutting joke which lowers their confidence metre and their attacks become more clumsy (and less damaging) as they become more infuriated.

I’d love to see Spidey’s humour actually become an element in combat. No prompts or anything, but if you manage to trap a villain or do something humiliating to them, hitting the snappy patter button at that moment makes the rest of the fight a little bit easier. So you could actually have control over how goofy you want your Spidey to be.

Of course, I’d be hitting such a button at every opportunity, but they’d really need to hire a proper comedian to write the lines for that. That’s Spidey, though, he’s all about unique approaches to fights. He plays mind games with his humour, because if he can put a villain down without harming them too much, he’ll do it. That’s his way.

I’d love to see a Spider-Man game designed by people who actually understand the character. Yes, I like the character, I’m sorry. I’ve followed Spidey for years as one of the few supers that I actually liked (most of them are complete jerks). So it matters to me that he’s done justice to, but it’s been a long time since he’s been done justice to.

11. HeavyD-Love

Are you kidding? This looks fucking awesome. Man people are so fucking incredible these days..

12. jldoom

I’m going to give this a shot because I like Spider-Man. But not to go off topic too much, are there any good spider-man games in your opinion released for the PS3? I loved the free roam aspect and sometimes would just websling through the city doing nothing but exploring!

13. Maximum Payne

@12 I liked Web of Shadow graphics were solid and combat was interesting because you can change suits and then you style is change.