Vita downloads priced low in UK, MotorStorm to cost £4.79

Monday, 13th February 2012 13:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Sony’s has confirmed that the download versions of Vita’s games in the UK will cost very little, with MotorStorm RC coming is at £4.79

Sony said today that MotorStorm RC will cost £4.79; Escape Plan will cost £9.99; and Super Stardust, Top Darts and Hustle Kings will all cost £6.49.

Buying Motorstorm will allow the game to be played on both Vita and PS3.

The prices come in stark contrast to Vita’s larger games, such as Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which are being priced at around £40.

“From a first-party perspective our titles range from £39.99 to £4.79,” said a Sony rep by email. “There are also games like Plants vs Zombies so we have a broad range of prices to suit different experiences.”

Vita releases on February 22 in the US and Europe. The WiFi version of the hardware is being sold for around £230.

1. Colin Gallacher

Good pricing on MotorStorm.

2. Patrick Garratt

Very cool, yeah. Means you can buy the hardware and not have to worry about spending £40 on a game no matter what it is. “Teh fUture,” etc.

3. The_Red

Why doesn’t Sony get it? As long a iPad, iPhone, Android market and others exist, the masses WON’T pay 40 or 50 bucks for a handheld game no matter how close to a retail console game it may be.

This right now is a step in the right direction but until they learn the above fact and lower the prices of big games to 15 to 20, Vita is gonna fail in the long run (Which is a true shame. PSVita is the best new hardware I’ve seen since the original DS).

4. Patrick Garratt

@3 – I think Vita will succeed, and I people think will pay for unique experiences. WipEout’s amazing. It’s worth £30, or whatever it is. It’s a proper game. CoD will be the same. It’s like nothing else I’ve seen on a portable. You don’t get anything like it on iOS.

Pricing the cheaper stuff this low is perfect, because it means everyone can be playing stuff day one without having to fork out an extra £80 for a few games. Seriously, I’m pumped. I was really cynical about it, but having spent time with a unit I can see why it makes sense.

5. BraveArse

I agree with pat. I think they’re getting it absolutely right now. What I struggle to “get” is why people think they should pay peanuts for things simply because they’re in digital form. Developers, musicians, photographers etc all deserve to be paid a decent amount for the work they produce.

The apple model, IMO is only good for apple, it’s unsustainable for the producers of the entertainment we consume.

6. KAP

YES!!!. Good call Sony. About time they focus price there first party games.

7. Nostanogod

While such low pricing is certainly positive news, one can’t wonder why there is such a difference between this and – let’s say – Uncharted. Seems to me like Motorstorm RC is either a promotional title or a lower-end title (basic gameplay/content = lower development costs).

8. daytripper

my gripe is with the memory, i believe there is no excuse for having no on board memory plus the prices of the memory cards are a rip off. i will get one eventually but not the price set at the moment.

9. Nostanogod

About those expensive memory cards – it’s like with PSP, if you don’t accept current pricing, you just pass on Sony’s offering and wait for cheaper (and ofter faster) alternative. Surely Sandisk will have some decend memory card for Vita not long after handheld launch.

10. typeface

Those are pretty decent prices. If you take into account that those who have the preorder pack with them can get super stardust or hustle kings for £1.49 or escape plan for £4.99

Also if you choose online you should technically get the hardware plus memory card alone for £210 now from amazon or £213 from play instead of the £230 at Game. With some games it’s 225 to 227 (for most ubisoft titles and vt4) other titles come to a bit more but retailers seem to be very competitive at the moment with bundles.

11. The_Red

@4 I really hope Vita does indeed succeed. The problem is that what core gamers like us think doesn’t matter much these days. I agree that stuff like WipeOut or Uncharted GA look amazing and are probably worth 30-40 but the masses will probably reject those prices. They are already carrying iPhones and super huge iPads which play really great games. Stuff like Golden Abyss or Gravity Daze (Can’t wait) look different enough for us but not for many others.

I’m starting to sound a bit elitist or pessimistic but to me, the old console / handheld pricing model for big budget titles doesn’t work on handhelds any more. Lower prices for digital purchases like this as well as a couple of free games (as was mentioned on another story) are good news but won’t be enough in this day and age.

12. Len

@4 So you’re admitting you’ve played CoD on the Vita then Pat? ;)

I’m so undecided about picking one up. Just the price is killing me, I’ve got the cash but it just ‘feels’ too much.

13. DrDamn

It’s not really a non-core gamer machine though is it? With the PSP Sony pushed a lot of more general use stuff right from the start – movies, music, UMD’s. This time it’s all “This is a gamers machine, designed for gamers, with games on it”. It offers differentiation from phones and tablets with regular controls and a supplementary touch screen/panel, cameras and gyros for AR. Is it enough to topple iPad and phones? No, and it’s not meant to.

Regarding loads of cheaper games – there are already a significant number of Mini’s available to fill that gap.

14. DrDamn

If there isn’t a compelling reason for you to get one now then resist the urge. By the time there is stuff you need to play the prices or at least bundles will be better.

For me Everybodys Golf and Wipeout are enough with a few of the cheaper games (Motorstorm and Escape Plan initially).

15. Dannybuoy

Sweet. Good to hear there are sensible pricing structures planned. I’m happy to pay a bit extra for quality though. Some will moan about the higher cost of games like Uncharted but then they obviously expect something for nothing. A lot of effort has gone into that game. Take it from me, I finished it 2 weeks ago. It’s a great game for a handheld. If you don’t want to pay for the premium titles then don’t. Bring on UK launch. I gagging to get some new games!

16. Len

@14 But I love EG, UC and FIFA and can’t wait to play Motorstorm. But it still feels pricey…arrgghhh indecision…