Quick Quotes: Some monsters in Reckoning are playable races in Copernicus MMO

Saturday, 4th February 2012 18:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“There’s just south of 300 maybe in the Providence studio, which is the core of the [Copernicus] MMO team. I’s set in the same universe [as Amalur], so it will become obvious over the next, I don’t know how many months and years of time. This game exists in the same world. In a small way, if you think of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and World of Warcraft, those were tied together because they were in the same IP, but there will be story connectivity between what we’re doing in the games. In the MMO, there will be races that you can play are monsters in the RPG. Things like that. Same locations, there will be cities and places, there will be a familiarity to it that… Nobody else, I think, has gone in with the intent to do that like this.” – 38 Studios head Curt Schilling to VentureBeat regarding the Kingdoms of Amalur-based MMO Copernicus.

1. TheWulf

Except ArenaNet, with Guild Wars?

In Guild Wars 1 the charr were actually the foes. Except, oddly, they were the good guys. They were retaking their land from the Ascalonians, and the Ascalonians had been brainwashed by their gods into becoming ultimate xenophobes, so they pretty much wanted to kill everything. (All covered in Eye of the North and GW2 lore.)

But suffice it to say, it was the charr you fought as a brainwashed pawn of hte human gods in Guild Wars 1. In Guild Wars 2, the same locations are present (sound familiar?) but it’s just set 250 years on so you actually see some changes. And the charr? Yes, playable.

No one is doing this, Schilling? Personally, I think you’re being a bit of a shill. ArenaNet has already done this and they’ve done it better. In fact, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that that’s where you’ve borrowed your idea from. You can’t just say “Oh, we looked at what was popular–Guild Wars 2–and were inspired by that!” can you? No, course not.

I really, really don’t like these guys.

Really don’t.

The way they market makes my skin crawl. Their games are made to sell, not made with passion. And not to mention that they’re pretty much out to steal whatever – their RPG just being a ‘gritty’ (in that Dragon Age way) Fable, and now their MMO using elements of Guild Wars 2. I just have no interest.

Make games because you’re passionate about them, and at least admit where you get inspiration for your ideas.

2. Tamo123

@ TheWulf

Are you being serious?

No idea is original nowadays. None. Even ArenaNet are borrowing ideas and whether or not they are improving those borrowed ideas is purely subjective. Every developer makes a game with some (however small or large) wish to sell. Nobody would make a film, song or game, market the fuck out of it for it not to sell.

Nothing is perfect and everything can be improved because everyone is different and likes different things. You know what? I hate Guild Wars and I’m not interested in the second one, but do I like the look of this game and the MMO concept? Sure, I’ll give it a shot. Does that make your skin crawl?

Everyone steals stuff from each other, deal with it. This game sounds good, deal with it. Guild Wars is crap in my opinion, deal with it.

Have a nice day.

3. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 tactical_facepalm.jpg
    The issue is not the idea here dude, it’s the cheap PR tactics. If you read the full interview, it’s just about how great things are, some ass kissings for their beloved EA and some pandering to the gamers.

The interview is all about empty promises and self-gloatings. There’s actually not a single sentence giving us a useful info about the game, either of them.

I’ve read interviews before, people use it to their advantage, I can accept that, but they pass along some useful stuff as well. In that interview, nor any recent interviews with any of the Big Huge Games people you can’t really find anything worthy, at all.

@1 Well bro, you should stop giving these people too much attention. They dunno when to go PR and when to give explanation about their work.

4. Da Man

‘Passionately’ playing videogames and ‘passionately’ developing them have zero in common. Just because something was made with millions of customers in mind, doesn’t imply devs weren’t ‘passionate’.

5. Tamo123

Again who cares? What is wrong with hyping a game? If it fails it fails, if it becomes a success then good on them. The game hasn’t been released and already you’re judging it with ‘empty promises and self-gloatings’. Wait until the game is released and THEN judge it.

Maybe they’re waiting a little while before releasing more concrete information and instead building up a little momentum. Stop judging them based on nothing and judge them when the game is released and you actually play it.

All developers ass kiss to some degree, people only seem worked up over the constant PR because it’s EA. I dislike EA myself, if this game fails then haha to them I guess, hopefully it will push them back into making good games. I’m hoping this MMO and the game itself does well.

6. SplatteredHouse

I can’t believe that for an aspiring studio with an ambitious project, trying to bring in new property this far in to the current console cycle, and basically, having the guts to show the game to press and players, having a good open relationship they’ve been seeking to establish, and they’re just rightly proud of what they’ve done and are continuing to work on – they’re still going to get snarled at by some, and not given the chance to release their first game before the negativity kicks off in earnest.

@5: You’re right. If they give people time to play Reckoning, keep the mmo away from sight, and allow people to enjoy the first Amalur game, they and the franchise are left in a far stronger position because they can see all the feedback, they can see what players are talking about, the kind of things they like or don’t. Players might even see parts of Reckoning as a roadmap towards the mmo, so that’s all good.

@1: You know that both of the Guild Wars games are mmos, I guess. What Amalur’s team is doing is different. They’ve made a single-player action rpg, and used it to present a starting point that will be followed up on by their related mmo.
    I’m not sure how similar the two approaches are, given that the time-shift aspect of Guild Wars is only relevent for around the first two hours of its total play-time, with superficial differences in the characters and faction makeup of that world, yet Schilling’s mmo will be set far in the future and Amalur likely will be framed differently to the way it is in Reckoning. Do you know enough about Guild Wars 2 to be able to compare the properties in that way?

7. DSB

There’s good PR and bad PR. In my opinion the best kind of PR is when you represent something in a way that it establishes a very direct connection to what you’re actually delivering.

So the things you say will be supported by the demo, the screenshots and the gameplay videos, and hopefully the end experience.

I think 38 Studios missed the train on that one. Amalur is a good idea, but intentions don’t compensate for actual mistakes.

I can’t really use their PR since I don’t think it corresponds with the game I’ve seen, and that makes me even more skeptical, even though I already had problems with the demo.

Poor camera controls and an empty world isn’t helped by equally dodgy PR.

Of course then there’s also the fact that you’re not just doing PR for your one game, you’re doing PR for the next one too. You’re representing a studio. If I feel like you aren’t genuine, I’m not gonna listen to you next time.

8. fearmonkey

I just think it’s hilarious that everytime there is a post about reckoning, thewulf has to post a long tirade about the game.
    We get it dude, you don’t like the game………

Then after he posts, Gwynbleiddium has to come out and defend him and support his cause, cracks me up.

Seriously, i can completely understand if you don’t like a game for any reason, thats your personal opinion and your entitled to it. But, this is a game that isnt even released yet, all we have is a very short demo, and you go off on it like it’s ruining the game industry. The game gets a couple reviews and you bash them because they are decent scores. Sorry if everyone doesnt agree with your opinion. (though you do praise VTMB so you have taste at least)

9. GwynbleiddiuM

@8, aye, cause I can’t have my opinion expressed, eh boy?

To your point “this is a game that isnt even released yet, all we have is a very short demo” but the those guys speak as they accomplished something that was never achieved before. I’m just saying their PR is crap, They haven’t done anything, and yet they present their company like it’s the very corner stone of RPG genre. They aren’t, all they did as you delicately put, released a short demo. Their game is not released yet, we know it supposed to pave the way for the MMO title under development, and that demo wasn’t all that impressive, like at all, and they gloat and give themselves credit for the things that hasn’t happened yet.

As odd as it would seem to you and people like you, my issue is not with the game, well not yet of course, it’s with the idiotic self gloating and cheap ass PR. All the interviews they did in the past couple of months was full of it and didn’t have any useful materials in them.

Things they always said, We’re like Skyrim, but the combat is like God of War. It was incredible to work with EA, blah blah blah, our MMO is cool, Blah Blah Blah, overwhelming response from the fans.

All of them, the whole bloody lot of them.