Skyrim Creation Kit “on track for release” February 7

Friday, 3rd February 2012 21:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda’s Pete Hines has used the magic of Twitter to let folks know the Skyrim Creation Kit is on track to be released Tuesday, February 7. What’s more, the developers have a “special surprise” in store with the release. Here’s the tweet: “For our Skyrim PC fans, the Creation Kit is on track for release on Tuesday. And, we also have a special surprise with it.” Nary a hint was given as to what the surprise entails, but it won’t be much longer now.

1. DGOJG

While I’m more than happy for PC games to have fun with this creation kit, how about you release the patch that will actually fix the game first for the rest of us? Especially for PS3, it would be nice to play the game without it crashing and the frame rate grinding to a hault.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Maybe that is the “surprise”. I don’t know if it is. Just thinking out loud.

3. Hunam

We’ve had a fair few patches on PC. Can’t argue with the progress they are making at the moment, lots of long standing issues, stuff from way back to Oblivion are getting fixed.

4. xxJPRACERxx

Maybe with a Steam mid-week sale too?

5. nimrod123

the guy that runs skyrim nexus was saying it looks like a hi res texture patch, maybe only for PC.

there are indicators in the prepatch stuff from the last patch

6. TheWulf

It’s been confirmed via the Steam registry that it is indeed a high-resolution texture pack. And considering how high-res this will be, it’s undoubtedly for the PC. We have gigs of RAM to throw around for pointless eye-candy that we never really see, anyway.

What I’m more looking forward to is the Creation Kit itself, and what can and inevitably will be done with it. Somewhere deep in Skyrim there’s a good game waiting to be unleashed. Give the modding community a couple of years and I’ll be that we’re going to see that good game.

7. UuBuU

February 07 ~~

Skyrim begins it’s journey from being a very mediocre game to being one of the best games currently available.

Oblivion was exactly the same ~ very mediocre until the modding community went to work on it.

On the surface, the TES modding community seems like nothing but boob enhancements and items for people who treat the games like a dress-up sim. But until you’ve really experienced a heavily modded TES game with gameplay improvements (not just visual stuff), and tried the TC mods, you cannot understand just how much mods improve the series.

Without mods ~ Oblivion would barely make my top 100 of all time.
    With mods ~ it’s in my top 10. That’s how much of a difference the modding community makes ~ and i’m sure Skyrim will be no different.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

Is it just me or was this released deliberately to coincide with Amalur, to try and steal some of its thunder?

9. Edo

#8 Could be,but I don’t think that they should feel threatened by this game at all as it doesn’t seem to be bringing anything new to the table.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

Except colour and combat mechanics you mean. ;) Just ordered my copy today after work. XD

11. Edo

#10 I meant in general,combat mechanics are borrowed from games such as GoW series and Darksiders and colour makes this game look MMOish to me,I think I even saw pink in there somewhere :).

12. YoungZer0

@10: Really? Can’t you see how it basically took the combat from Fable and the colors from WoW? Nothing new about this game.

13. Telepathic.Geometry

Gimme a fucking break guys, there’s no original games anymore then if ya wanna look at it like that.

Borderlands = great game but they borrowed the cel-shading from Jet Set Radio, and the shooting from Call of Duty and yada-yada… Come on, the whole is original. And this level of combat is new to me in an RPG.

Plus, I never mean to say that the game is amazingly original anyway, I only meant to say that this is what distinguishes it from Skyrim, which has frankly horrible combat.