Rumour: THQ set to lay off 170 staff, UK hit to be “significant”

Wednesday, 1st February 2012 11:21 GMT By Staff

THQ’s set to announce it’ll layoff 170 staff today, including its VP of tech Mark DeLoura, according to industry figure Kevin Dent.

Dent, who was the one that initially reported the publisher was planning to can its 2014 and beyond lineup and looking for a buyer for itself and Vigil MMO Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium last month, went public on Twitter this morning UK time with the supposed layoffs.

“This is probably going to break in the morning, I have sat on it for a week or so. The culling at THQ was 170+ souls including @markdeloura,” he said, mentioning DeLoura in the tweet.

“A smart journalist would send THQ’s VP of Tech Mark DeLoura an email and see what the auto reply says,” Dent added, before DeLoura chipped in by saying: “Hey that’s cheating :)”.

In addition, VG247 has been told this afternoon that the lay-offs will “significantly” hit THQ’s UK operation. THQ declined to comment.

It comes just 24 hours after the publisher was threatened to be delisted from the NASDAQ stock exchange due to share prices in the company being under $1 for the past 30 days straight.

THQ has made two rounds of cuts in the past week.

The company’s Q3 financial call should shed more light tomorrow evening at 10pm GMT.

Via EG.

1. silkvg247

Man this sucks, SR3 alone deserved to make them millions. But no, GTAV will do well instead.

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

2. Razor

This is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

3. absolutezero

I’d say the message is pretty clear to the rest of the publishers what not to do in order to end up like THQ.

Make new games! BOOM BOOM

4. Patrick Garratt

Updated. I’ve been told THQ UK will be be “significantly” affected by this.

5. Gheritt White

THQ will end up as a kids/casual studio for mobile devices, I bet.

6. Patrick Garratt

Stripped back operation focusing only on core and downloadable. Hang around tonight for the results.

7. silkvg247

@5 Doesn’t that contradict the announce that they are dropping kids?

@6 If core is SR then I’m happy as long as they stay afloat.

8. DSB

Once again Razor stole my thoughts :P

I think they’re preparing for a sale. I reckon it’s a last ditch effort to balance the books just enough for someone to swoop in, pick it up and kill off the leadership.

9. The_Red

This is brutal. Also what #2 / Razor said.

It’s a real shame because the new THQ has really shown signs of improvement over the old company with focus on new IPs like DarkSiders, de Blob, Metro, InSane, UFC Undisputed and more. Plus they have South Park the game which I’m DYING to play.

10. silkvg247

I want to buy shares but seems most sites here only let me buy UK ones.. :/

11. Patrick Garratt

Just got a no comment on this.

12. ManuOtaku

I really hope they can turn things around without the sale option, i hope/wish the games they will be releasing this year do sell great numbers,i will buy first day almost all of them, except for UFC, the rest is an instant buy especially the south park game.

13. silkvg247

Oh shit yeah, the south park game! They need to get that out asap, it’ll probably save their hide :)

14. DSB

Saints Row 3 was a succes though, and while the impact of that won’t be clear until tonight, I don’t think it’s going to change a lot.

I think they’re past being judged on how individual games perform, by now it’s about people losing faith in THQ.

That reflects how I feel about them as well. To me they used to mean “quality stuff” but now it’s just vastly mediocre copies of more popular games (Zelda/Darksiders, CoD/Homefront, GenericArenaRTS/Dawn of War II etc).

I love Metro (although I don’t think it’s a blockbuster) and I love Saints Row, but they really need to get Relic back on track and build some consistency on which games to back.

Stuff like Homefront 2 is a terrible idea. They’d get way further with either a new license or a new IP.

It’s too late now though, I don’t think they can continue, and the leadership should’ve been booted out long ago.

15. silkvg247

Darksiders is actually a very cool game though, and imo, nothing like Zelda.

I’d like to see them keep Darksiders, SR (maybe a SR mmo as I previously mentioned), and for South Park to be a roaring hit.

16. Phoenixblight

“Darksiders is actually a very cool game though, and imo, nothing like Zelda.”

Really? Nothing like Zelda? Someone is in denial. You strip away all the art assets of both games and play their blocked out version you would see there are a lot of similarities.

That was one of the biggest gripes with that game it was inspired too much from Zelda and God of War and had nothing for itself other than the art.

17. DSB

I think it’s pretty disappointing. It’s certainly a very faithful clone, but it even has the same things that annoy me about Zelda.

Too many times I’m just running around in an empty zone with nothing going on, just looking for the next mundane climbing puzzle, or the next mundane challenge portal.

18. silkvg247

Denial? I’ve played all the zelda games since LttP (by far the best) and I’m just saying how I feel.

I’m a massive zelda fan, I can see the *similarities* but only in so far as they both have treasures, upgrades and dungeons. So what. That just puts them the same genre. Perhaps my choice of words was poor, I meant the style and atmosphere were totally different (and imo atmosphere is what makes or breaks a game).

Can’t comment on GoW, not played it yet (got the HD remakes waiting for me to find spare time).

19. Phoenixblight

“but only in so far as they both have treasures, upgrades and dungeons. ”

Those dungeons were similiar to each other too. THis is what hurt the original Darksiders and why it didn’t do as well as it could have because it was too similiar to the games I mentioned. Atmosphere and style while being somewhat important what makes or breaks the game is the gameplay and that is where Darksiders was severely lacking.

20. silkvg247

I disagree, I rarely play a game thru to the end these days and I did with Darksiders. In fact I was quite addicted to it.

I don’t see where it failed in the gameplay department either.

Responsive controls – check
    Secret stuff to find – check
    Good difficulty curve – check

Those three are probably more important to me than most. I suppose it helps that I found the plot interesting as well (if not somewhat confusing).

21. freedoms_stain

Personally I adored Darksiders, it was like playing the 1st Soul Reaver game again.

Fucking loved it.

22. OlderGamer

Darksiders a plus one in my book.

And I agree not a Zelda clone. I mean at some point all games could be traced back to games long gone. But Flatout, Need for Speed, Mario Kart, and SplitSecond are all Arcade Racers and share a lot of basic premises. But you can’t call them each clones or one another. Or dislike one becuase of another.

Games are games. If a games was too different and unique, enough people prolly wouldn’t enjoy it enough to make it sucsessful. All games share roots.

23. ManuOtaku

#20 I agree the gameplay deparment in darksiders was solid, the controls the combat, it has a solid feeling not loose, etc, hence the good reviews overall and the good word of mouth between gamers, i cannot wait for darksiders 2, it seems as a big step forward from 1, and i really like to see darksiders with somethings ironed out, because it was not a perfect game by any means, but IMO it was a great way to start a new series by a new developer, pretty solid overall, if just too human was this good overall, we will be geting too human 2, which i would also loved to see too, because iam one of the few that really enjoy too human.

24. DSB

@18 So you honestly don’t see that both games have the same third person perspective, the same basic combat mechanics, even including special moves?

The finishers and the energy orbs might be pilfered from God of War, but aside from that it’s Zeldas uparmored, macho cousin.

@22 That’s a pretty ridiculous comparison. None of those games are even remotely as similar as Darksiders is to Zelda.

We’re not talking about two games that feature the same objects or the same theme. We’re talking about practically the same basic mechanics.

If you compared Forza to Gran Turismo, that would be more accurate.

25. OlderGamer

Or Flatout to NFS Burnout. Or Mario Kart to Splitsecond. Both valid examples of games sharing concepts yet being enough different to warrent their own flavor. How about Robotron to Geomatry Wars? CoD to BF. Halo to Unreal.

Nothing new, been going on forever. It isn’t about what the games share thats important, but what sets them apart. If someone is not a fan of action/adventure/rpg then they prolly wouldn’t enjoy DS or Zelda. Same if a gamer doesn’t like racing they would not to play Mario Kart or Splitsecond. Don’t enjoy the FPS game mechanics? Your not likly to enjoy cod either.

Just because FF came first does that mean we shouldn’t look at or enjoy Dragon Quest, Breath Of Fire, Lufia, the “Tales” games, or Blue Dragon?

Like I said games share roots. And games in teh same genere share a lot of common traits.

When I was playing DS, I never felt like I was playing a “macho” Zelda. It just felt like a cool action adventure game with lite rpg elements to it. I think sometimes, some people make too much of little things.

26. SwiftRanger

“GenericArenaRTS/Dawn of War II etc).”

Yeah, so mediocre it spawned two addons and several DLC packs for the last addon. Despite DoW II and Chaos Rising using GfwLive (a huge disadvantage on PC) it was still a big triumph for Relic imo, one that trumped the convoluted Company of Heroes and even the original DoW. It got the right focus (pure micro, barely any macro), only the skirmish AI and the P2P matchmaking have been its biggest failures. If anything DoW II is more akin to a game like Myth, the type of RTS games we haven’t really seen much of in the last years. Retribution was the perfect incarnation of it as well. Can’t wait for DoW III.

Relic isn’t the problem, they’re awesome and are gaining a profit for THQ like they always have done. Homefront was an enormous and costly mistake as was the unambitious RFA. HF2 might be better (Crytek ain’t no slugs) and if they still got the cash they should totally go ahead with DMO, which has the best setting of any MMO. Darksiders was decent enough. Zelda didn’t come out of thin air as well you know.

No, you can’t put the blame squarely on the THQ games lineup, mismanagement seems the key error he: a board of directors which have lost touch with the staff and dev teams which act under the THQ banner.

27. DSB

@26 I don’t recall ever blaming anyone other than the leadership. Last time I checked, they’re in charge of how to apply their studios. And if those games were all golden, we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now.

The way I see it, THQs failure is summed up by Fuel of War. Instead of doing their own thing, something that they had been succesful with, they simply chose to pursue the flavor of the week, going head to head with the major publishers, which is never going to work. The big publishers are always going to be far better suited in terms of getting away with uninspired games.

They made themselves a bug on the windscreen, which is a huge waste of what they can do. Besides Metro, UFC or Saints Row, I have a hard time seeing anything that isn’t directly tied to someone elses idea. Dawn of War and Company of Heroes defined a genre, the same can hardly be said for Dawn of War II. I have no idea how well it did or didn’t do, but you can be damn sure it’s small fry compared to League of Legends or Starcraft, which is where it was trying to go.

I think the same can be said for most other “Me Too” titles produced by THQ.