Faction Titans detailed for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Saturday, 28th January 2012 15:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ironclad has dropped a few details regarding the stand-alone expansion to Sins of a Solar Empire, Rebellion, starting with the division of the game’s three factions and the Titans they will be commanding.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpy (via VE3D), Stardock producer Brian Clair said the TEC, Advent, and Vasari have each been divided into Loyalist and a Rebel factions. The differences between playing each faction will depend on which race the player chooses.

“The TEC Loyalists are very defensive. If you’re a gamer who likes to turtle, they’re probably the best suited for you,” said Clair. “They’ve been designed with that in mind. The TEC Rebels are very aggressive, so if you’re a player who likes to go out, doesn’t turtle at all, moves very quickly from one target to the next, they would fit you the best.

“The Vasari Loyalists… I don’t want to give too much away, but they’re offensive. They’ve gone back to their original roots, if you will, whereas the Vasari Rebels have decided to go down that diplomatic route. I don’t want to say they’re more of a peacenik faction, because that’s not true of any Vasari, but they want to get along as much as they can.”

Clair said what defines each faction is its super-capital ship, a Titan, which is “very defensively oriented, in terms of giving defensive buffs to surrounding fleets so they survive longer.”

For example, the TEC Loyalists’ research gives the faction bonuses when in their own territory, thus rewarding the player for slowly progressing and “not rampaging, destroying everything in sight.”

There will also be varying differences between faction Titans, which will be dividied into six distinctive versions, each with its own abilities and statistics.

Like capital ships, which have three regular abilities and an ultimate ability unlockable at level six, Titans are similar but also have a set of unlockable “passive abilities” enabling certain areas of the ship to be stronger, and offensively make the ship more powerful.

“It basically goes down to their factional view and their racial view,” Clair explained. “The TEC, of all three races, are probably the least technologically developed overall. Their Titans tend to be utilitarian, they’re very militaristic-looking, they’re not very elegant to look at. But they’re powerful, they get the job done, based on whether you’re a Rebel or a Loyalist.

“The Advent are very culture-based, so their Titans have nice curves, not sharp angles, and they use their psionic abilities to the utmost. So for instance, if you were playing with one of the Advent Titans, you have an opportunity to mind-control enemy ships, or take over enemy planets simply with your psionic power. And then there’s the typical weapon differences, where the Advent are into beam weapons and the TEC are into autocannons and that sort of more mundane stuff. As a broad overview, that’s the high-level difference.”

You can read the entire interview through the link, and be sure to check out shots of the Advent, TEC, and Vasari Titans below in the gallery.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion will be released on PC “when it’s done.”

1. DSB

Sins of a Solar Empire is one of the best strategy games in recent years, but I think we’re at the end of the road at this point.

It’s a simple game, and the expansions they’ve done so far have pretty much been in the shape of stuff that should’ve/could’ve been in the core game.

I hope Ironclad move on to build something new and equally awesome.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Ugh. Unsure what is going on with the gallery there. I will get that smoothed out a bit.

EDIT: There. That is much better. :)

3. GrimRita

I totally agree DSB – the game is simply brilliant – and made even better now that its on Steam. The Star Wars mod was excellent as well.

4. GrimRita

Bugger. There goes my weekend now – thanks Steph! I have just booted this baby up again haha

5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 Have fun! :)

6. blackdreamhunk

the needs a story line plus land and sea battles. However I can’t see how they will surpass the last sin of the solar empire.

Oh they need to add a cock pit view of the bttle too. ;)

7. Uncontested

Land and Sea Battles? It takes place in OUTER SPACE you fucking troll.

Anyways.. Glad they finally released some info on this, I’ve been playing the Star Trek mod for this game lately, love it, except for how unbeatable the Borg are if you’re not the Federation with uber late tech.. Tried to fight them as Romulan.. entire fleet and 12 capital ships got raped, lol.

8. DSB

@7 Troll is trolling.

Still, last time I checked the universe contains both land and sea.

My idea of the perfect space strategy game is still Master of Orion 2. I’ve never found anything that compares, and they mixed space fleet battles with graphical depictions of land invasions, which was incredibly awesome.

It was all number-based, according to your science level, troop numbers, whether you had tanks or not, but it was so much better to see those little guys running over the planet, than simply getting a prompt that “You win”.

I also got Space Rangers 2 laying around, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Supposedly that’s a mix of space and land battles.

That’s still something I’m missing from Sins of a Solar Empire. It’s a “lite” strategy game, and it does an amazing job of it, but it’s not Master of Orion 2.

9. GrimRita

You know – I still believe that Star Wars: Supremacy/Rebellion is probably THE best RTS of all time.

Sure today its graphics are awful it has a UI lifted from SWTOR but in terms of scope – it was brilliant.

I used to play it online on the old ladders and learnt so much from the experts playing – stuff you wouldnt find in the manual.

Hell, I loved setting ‘traps’ for the Rebel fleets with a Death Star, large fleets and excellent space battles.