Insomniac: “We won’t be making any more Resistances”

Thursday, 26th January 2012 10:38 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Whether you nearly drowned in a tidal wave of closure during Resistance 3′s credits or still – to this very day – spend long, cold nights yearning for the embrace of more guns, one thing’s absolutely certain: Insomniac’s finished with the Resistance franchise.

“We won’t be making any more Resistances,” Insomniac CEO Ted Price told VG247 during an interview at Southern Methodist University’s Game::Business::Law Summit today. Short, sweet, and to the point.

With the Chimera and their pesky genocidal invasion now in the rearview mirror, Insomniac’s moving on to four-player co-op shooter Overstrike. Mum’s the word on details for now, but if it doesn’t have a massive selection of outlandish guns, that’s probably a sign we’ve finally broken the universe beyond repair. And if there’s not at least one gun that turns enemies into some kind of non-threatening, doe-eyed animal? Well then, God help us all.

Insomniac’s also opened up its own social games division, Insomniac Click, which – sad to say – is equally shrouded in mystery at the moment. The goal, however, is to create “deep worlds, rich stories, [and] accessible gameplay,” so don’t start bracing yourself for Ratchet and Clank Present: SororityVilleWars just yet.

“Certainly over the next couple years, we’re going to see a huge evolution in visuals in social games,” Price said. “It’s thanks to improving technologies. It’s thanks to browsers that are getting better and more powerful. It’s thanks to development teams – core traditional game teams who are moving into the space.”

Expect the full interview with Price – which covers many of the above topics and more (and also maybe Skylanders) – in the coming days.

1. Razor

I hope Sony lay this franchise to rest now then after the Vita game, or at least don’t divert massive resources to it in future.

2. Patrick Garratt

It’s done, innit. The third one was a great game, but it just sank.

3. Karooo

Yeah, Resistance 3 was really good. Poor thing tanked in the US. I don’t think it sold more than 500k there.

4. Johnny Cullen

I still need to properly sink myself into R3. Played the beginning, the portion of the demo that came with Battle LA and that was it.

That said, I loved R2 when everyone else seemingly didn’t.

5. Patrick Garratt

It’s bloody hard. Far too used to being able to crouch behind something and heal now.

6. JimFear-666

Im not even surprised… They are now multiplatform so… why they would continue to do a game for only 1 platform?

7. Razor

Yeah, health packs were pretty old skool. Think GTA IV was the last game I remember with packs…

@6 Because it’s now up to Sony whether to retire the franchise or carry on. Sony like to keep trotting out the same franchises, so actually I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another one. Personally I think they should let it rest. It’s time to move on.

8. Colin Gallacher

I always tried my best to like Resistance. The third one has some of the best packaging this generation and seems like a really good game, I just can’t get in to it.

9. absolutezero

Resistance 3 was a last ditch effort to show that some discarded mechanics can work today. Despite looking amazing, having loads of guns with multiple firing modes, health packs and the tension and rush that those bring, no one gave a flying fuck.

That might be because Resistance 2 threw all those great things out the window.

The first games health system I think is still one of the finest to date, its a great balance between hiding behind things and running for packs. Its great.

10. Razor

Maybe I’ll pop R:FoM in my PS3 tonight and have a blast. Never finished it.

11. ManuOtaku

Well is nice to see they are moving on to new franchises, thats great IMO, but iam sad also because i did like resistance , pretty good series for a FPS with the touch of this great developer, especially in the weapons department.

12. NiceFellow

The first made me think “they’ve got something here” – great health system mixing regen and packs, great game world, original setting allowing them to combine classic WW2 type feel with futuristic elements

The second made me think “you’ve blown it – but the coop is great”

The third made me think “too late to repair the damage guys – but damn good try”

RIP a very promising franchise that tried to0 hard to follow trends rather sticking to its own path.

13. reask

I played 3 on the second highest setting and it was an OK game tbh.
    What really blew it was the on line.

The frame rate drops just made it unplayable tbh.
    They had promised everyone that it would be sorted by the time the game released but the full game was worse than the beta.
    By the time they did get it sorted everyone had moved on.

I keep hearing the first one was the best yet I played it on and off and never got into it.
    It reminded me of a ps2 game.
    I must give it another try sometime.

14. DSB

I guess you might say…. that Resistance…. is futile.

OMG OMG OMG GEDDIT?!

15. Ireland Michael

Good. The games were universally terrible from beginning to end. Why it ever got so many games is beyond me.

16. lexph3re

Well if you think so Mike. I think the series was great, 2 was the only one I had problems with. 1 and 3 were fantastic, and 3 really nails the lone warrior stance down and smacks you on your ass. It was a brilliant execution that I didn’t see coming at first even wasted all my ammo trying to make that stance. Before I was fludded and bambarded with missles.

If it’s not your thing that’s fine. But this series is definetly one of the better unappreaciated stories of this gen thanks to an over saturated FPS market.

17. Ireland Michael

@16 This has nothing to do with them “just not being my thing.” I don’t have games that simply “aren’t my thing.” I enjoy and appreciate all genres, and I judge games solely based on their technical quality as a video game.

It was my critical opinion from my own experience of playing the games themselves that they were poorly designed and technically flawed shooters. It got slightly better as the series went on, but the core gameplay always felt weak, like the guys had been thrown into a genre they didn’t understand and couldn’t learn to control properly.

18. lexph3re

Well considering your *critical judgement* is based off of a series that began at the beginning of a generation and was technically better then it’s competitors from the start *Halo etc* the only thing it lacked was a following. Also, With 3 different variant art styles I the series only lack was that they didn’t perfect a significant style for the series but gave each one their own unique look and feel for the settings.

Also, clearly I said “If you think so Mike” your opinion is you opinion and that’s fine. No matter how much I or others disagree with you that is your prized possession that you can keep.

19. Erthazus

Series were really mediocre in my opinion. Despite them trying so hard on them, Insomniac is just new at the shooter genre compared to other great studios that do that all the time.

Insomniac is 100% better at platformers. Maybe next franchise is going to be better, but for now three Resistance games were ok at best with some interesting ideas. What i liked about Res series is that they tried to put oldschool stuff in it.

Sony need to do a research with Insomniac and make a triple-A title that will kick ass.

20. Ireland Michael

“…and was technically better then it’s competitor…”

That’s a matter of opinion. I found the environments to be barren and lacking in detail. And not in a good “the world is falling apart” way. The locations in the first two games were anorexic in detail and atmospheric effects, and the games muddy pallete made Gears of War look like a Gay Pride Parade in comparison.

“…the series only lack was that they didn’t perfect a significant style for the series…”

It felt more to me like they simply never could figure out what they wanted it to be. That seemed to be a recurrent theme for everything in the franchise, and probably the reason for its demise – it wanted to be everything for everyone, but ended up being nothing for nobody.

I know Insomniac can do better, and I sincerely hope that they’ll start focusing their energies on far better franchises and titles.

21. KrazyKraut

The end of R3 was a little bit naive….. :(

22. Da Man

Resistance better than Halo, really?

Does Resistance have playlists ranging from Living Dead to Big TEam Objective to 2vs2 to the official MLG one? Map editor, where you can create everything from racing tracks to towers resembling giant monsters to remakes of Halo CE maps? Campaign with intelligent enemies? Theater and screenshots? Rank systems? Armory?

Etc etc..

You have to be Sony to the bone to say that, quite frankly.

I could never understand people who play hardware, always played the games.

For the record, i think it’s a good game, but comparing it to Halo is like putting Blur vs GT/Forza.

23. lexph3re

Umm Da Man you show those fanboy stripes proudly. I said when Resistance first launch which would be compareable to Halo 3 because they both released around the same time. Tech analysis showed the preformance of resistance 1 was better then 3. Hint was when I said Technically better.

So no need to compare the franchise just read veeerrryyyy slllooowwwlllyy. I know you love your Halo.

24. Da Man

I ‘m a slow kid, so i read slow enough :p.

I can’t see how a game which lacks Forge World and many other features can be deemed technically superior. It might have a higher framerate or run at a higher resolution, but with the maps not being editable it’s not a fair comparison.

If better looking campaign is what you meant then my bad.

25. lexph3re

Yes that is exactly what I meant. I would never deny RE1 lacked feature’s but Resistance 2 made up for that with a large online multiplayer as well as a progressive online Co-op. Honestly, the online Co-Op was to me the only reason to own or still own resistance 2. There isn’t a system like that on the console to date.

26. DoucheVader

I say good Insomniac dropped the ball on R3. R2 was one of my favorite games, R3 was a shell of what the series was.

27. Colin Gallacher