Rumour: Microsoft Points to be scrapped by end of 2012

Tuesday, 24th January 2012 08:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The Microsoft’s Points system, used for Xbox Live Marketplace and other Microsoft marketplaces, is set to be abolished by the end of the year, according to a Inside Mobile Apps report.

The site reckons that local, real-world currency will replace points. Microsoft only uses real-life money for when games are bought from Games on Demand, although the option is available to also buy them with Microsoft Points.

Microsoft Points has been around the release of Xbox 360 in 2005, and has also been around for other storefronts including Zune Marketplace, Games for Windows Live and Windows Phone 7.

Microsoft’s refused to comment. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Golden

I hope so, it is such an unfriendly method for consumers. I cannot help but think that (aside from the actual purchase) MicroSoft profit from this with little or no return for the customers. Good bye points.

2. strikkebil

thank god. ms points suck

3. DSB

@1 Right, but only indirectly.

The only point of a credit system that isn’t directly tied to a currency is to confuse people as to how much they’re actually paying each time.

They should’ve scrapped it a long time ago.

4. aseddon130

aww what a shame i sorta like it, mostly because i’ve never felt like i’ve been robbed. A points system seems less intrusive than using actual cash, i honestly cannot explain why. I suppose it’s because i normally get points cards rather cheaply thanks to Microsoft Expertzone.

This is only gonna cause a bigger cluster**** when u work out the exchange rates of how much things cost in the USA and in the UK and the UK get charged more for it. You’ll see ….

5. Razor

How is this good news? The rewards program and various free points promos that popped up every so often will be gone forever.

6. Chockster

As much as I dislike the lack of transparency of points, I do quite like the fact that I can shop around and get cheap cards, with occasional cashback (quidco, topcashback). Also, it’s quite handy when I get given a game or hmv voucher – rather than spend it on their overpriced games, I can spend it on the (slightly) less overpriced points cards.

They also mean I don’t have to give MS my credit card details, so when I inevitably get FIFA-hacked, they can’t take too much money…

Edit: Good points from #4 and #5 too.

7. freedoms_stain

Scrapping Points doesn’t mean they won’t be replaced at retail by some form of top-up credit card a la PSN network cards which can be bought online (including instnt access codes) for less than their face value just like MS points. The difference is when I buy a £25 PSN network card for £20 I know how much I’ve saved without doing any complex maths in my head.

8. Christopher Jack

If I see something for say, 80 points, I don’t want to have to pay for 500 points, it’s bullshit & I believe PSN does this too, at least the Euro-Australian version, I believe the US one allows you to pay any amount you want.

9. LOLshock94

@4 same here

10. absolutezero

Someones already made the point but the only thing changing here will be monetary values of the lump some points instead of the points themselves.

So instead of buying 1000 points to buy an 800 point Arcade game and having 200 left sitting about you’ll add £11 onto your Xbox Account and be left with £2.50.

Not all that much different.

11. ManuOtaku

I hope this will end up being just a rumor and nothing else, i like the point system for the reasons stated by commenters #4 and #6

12. absolutezero

That reason might be why MS are thinking about doing this in the first place, if they lose money from people selling instant delivery point card codes on the net then why do it at all? Forcing you to use real money to either purchase cards like the PSN (which to my knowledge has no real discounts) or just through Live itself closes to loop hole. It also might stop people from buying cards from over-seas to make use of the different Live services. Want something from the American Live? Tough.

13. deathgaze

Ick. This rumor made the rounds back when they announced that full games would be paid for in real monetary terms. The MSP model is great for MS for a number of reasons and I don’t think it’s likely that they’ll abandon it any time soon.

Also: Microsoft DOESN’T lose money when people buy the point cards at a discount – the *retailer* loses money. I promise you that they are not selling those cards to retailers at too much of a discount. All the retailer probably gets out of the transaction is a 5-10% bounty on the value of the card. I would lean towards 5%.

14. HighWindXIX

Sounds brilliant to me. I can never understand why 1600 points is $20. Makes no sense at all. Also, I doubt anything will change aside from what its called and the numbers. There’s no reason to assume the cards will be gone or anything else. Its just that instead of saying 1600 points it’ll say $20.

15. poketrainer

I wish they would get rid of those silly points asap so I could just buy Bastion for half off next week with real world money