Insider denies Rocksteady’s rumoured TMNT title

Tuesday, 24th January 2012 19:52 GMT By Staff

An insider has told VG247 that Rocksteady is not working on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game.

Our source dismissed the rumour, posted on the Paul Gale Network, as completely false.

Rocksteady has made no official statement.

The details of the rumour, which ignited hopeful fans worldwide, had the title as Manhattan Crisis. All the turtles were said to be playable with access to each’s unique weapons, and there was talk of playable flashbacks starring Master Splinter and his former owner Hamato Yoshi before he was murdered.

Bebop, Dr. Baxter Stockman, Krang, Rocksteady, and Shredder were named as bosses, and the Turtle Van and Blimp were mentioned along with other gadgets. The site claimed a planned Wii U version of the game would include touch screen controls for various actions, in addition to PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

TMNT: Manhattan Crisis was described as a bit “darker” than the cartoon series or previous titles based on the license, and while no mention was made of multiplayer, it was supposedly being built using Unreal 3 – as with Arkham City.

Original article by Steph Nunneley, with updates by Brenna Hillier.

Thanks, CVG.

1. LOLshock94

best rumour everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2. MegaGeek1

Well that rumour just made my day.

3. ManuOtaku

Given the name of the developer is the same as one of the characters of this series, i will dare to say they are very fond of this series, therefore theres a big chance for this, and i agree with the first two commenters this is great news indeed.

4. FlyBoogy

When I saw the title my skin started to crawl… This would be the best thing EVER

5. joshua nash

a TMNT game from the company that made the two most badass batman games ever, i’ll take an order of HELL YES with a side order of FUCKING AWESOME!

6. aseddon130

YES YES YES YES, and YES! Perfect. Can you imagine the Batman fight system with these guys? YES!!

7. Maximum Payne

Well better that then trying to milk Batman franchise.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@5- “I’ll take an order of HELL YES with a side order of FUCKING AWESOME!” – THIS! :)

9. GenericShooterSoldier

Now this is what i call news… :)

10. MegaGeek1

Rocksteady did the fans of Batman such a service with the Arkham games that I would pretty much trust them with any franchise. They could probably even make an amazing Superman game.

11. The_Red

Holy mother of crack, this can’t be true. There isn’t enough room for this much awesomeness in this world or any other parallel universe.

12. deathgaze

Rocksteady was always a blatant TMNT reference. It’d be fantastic if the studio’s success allowed it to make the game it always wanted to make. That’s the game I look forward to.

Unfortunately, my bullshit detector is banging off like crazy. I have to file this under “Unlikely, but I wish it were true.”

13. TD_Monstrous69

To quote Ciffy B; “I hope this is true”. I wouldn’t be shocked if this is what they’re working on next, seeing as how making DC Comics’s properties more than viable in videogames seems to be their specialty, and I’m more than confident they could pull it off. I want this to be true, but something tells me to not get my hopes up too much.

14. DSB

If this is true, Rocksteady are getting my firstborn.

15. Takeshi

Holyfucking shit. This can’t go wrong if they’re really doing it. Like a few other people I think this just seems too good to be true.

I love TMNT although I have yet to watch the entire old series. Plus Rocksteady Studios are one of my Top 5 developers.

16. Brenna Hillier

We’ve been given word, quietly, that this isn’t true, so I’ve updated the article.

17. Razor

Who exactly is Paul Gale?

18. xino

ah damn!

and I wished for the Turtles game:(

19. Brenna Hillier

@17 his site has produced some interesting scoops – and some dead ends. Even he said this one was pretty slim.

20. The_Red

Thanks for the update. Really sad but then, we should have expected this. I mean, Rocksteady making a game with Rocksteady!? TOO good to be true.

21. GwynbleiddiuM

I so want a Superman game. No one does a superman game like ever. And does who tried sucked balls at it. Why u no make a decent man of steel game?

22. DSB

@21 Really dude? You want a plot device like “Superman has been injected with kryptonite blood, help him regain his strength by collecting these vials of kryptonite-blood-begone” as a justification for a character progression system?

A superhero game starring an actual superhero can only be terrible. Superman is too super, and thus can go fuck himself :P

23. GwynbleiddiuM

Well, that’s the point actually. Superman is Superman, he has to be Superman from the beginning. In an open world game if done properly he can be awesome. And come to think of him being the man of steel isn’t much different than what’s goin’ on in GTA, Saints Row even RDR. A man versus a world of troubles. So, we just take the guns away, cars, choppers, grenades, and stuff, and replace it with Superman’s super powers like flying, uber-strength and lightning fast speed and reaction. The big difference is superman ain’t there to kill 120 thugs per second, he has to save lives and defeat supernatural elements while facing some of his Arch Enemies. How someone would come up with a system to balance things out is an issue of its own, it’ll take much effort. The point in being Superman is pretty much is to have super-duper-powers. And in today’s market, were every hero is practically a super man with guns, bombs and air-support that wouldn’t be that odd. :D

Damn it I wanna play as SUPERMAN and FEEEEEEEL IT!

24. DSB

@23 Hmmmm. That’s actually excellent.

I’m a sucker for life-saving games. I used to love playing the Emergency games (Emergency response RTS) and SWAT 3 where you have to NOT kill people for points.

Make it happen, man!