Quick quotes: The Last of Us “trying to say something about human beings and how they exist”

Monday, 23rd January 2012 09:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

“We’re trying to say something about human beings and how they exist. Now necessarily just in this setting, but in every setting. We try so hard at Naughty Dog to push things and then games come out that are fun and exciting and get visceral things right, but to read in reviews that they have an amazing story is disheartening to us because we work so hard at it. We really hope we can raise the bar.” – Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann, speaking in the latest issue of Edge.

New IP The Last of Us is expected to launch next year for PS3.

1. Edo

Try to be original instead.

2. minxamo

Pretentious hipster bullshit

3. YoungZer0

What’s with the stupidity? How is it hipster to have a better message than just “KILL THE ZOMBIES!”

4. Ireland Michael

Indeed. I don’t see how it’s “hipster” to simply want to tell a decent story that isn’t just “shooty shooty bang bang”.

The third Uncharted game was especially good at getting away from that, by exploring Nathan’s history with Sully, and why he takes the risks he takes in what he does to the point of obsession. Its a rather well told story.

5. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s all good as far as I can see. Don’t see where the hate comes from. More stories in games I say.

6. YoungZer0

@4: I felt they didn’t get too much into it. It’s always “Why are you doing this?” “Eh, can we go now?” “Okay, i guess, you’re still fun to have around.” There was no real conclusion to that. I really liked the story with Sully though. When i played the Sand-walking scene i kind of felt like they missed another opportunity to give Nate more depth.

Before i played the scene i imagined and hoped to see Nate completely losing hope and begging Sully for forgiveness. When they met it was the usual “Where have you been?”.

7. ManuOtaku

#5 “It’s all good as far as I can see. Don’t see where the hate comes from. More stories in games I say”.

I just hope all the gamers would think alike, and they give enslaved a chance too, thats a game with a great story to boot, really a shame T_T, i just hope this game doesnt flop like enslaved, becuase if it does, well forget about good told stories on games in a while.

8. nofear360

Although we still don’t know much about this game, I’m already friggin’ psyched for it!

@7: Oh, Enslaved, what an awesome game, indeed. Loved the story too.

9. LOLshock94

@4 if it wasnt for shotty shotty bang bang then this game wouldnt of existed FACT

10. KrazyKraut

Ask the raped woman in Africa or tortured ppl in Chinese prisons what they think about human being…

11. osric90

You’ll see how I will change the world.