Netflix rolls out in UK and Ireland, sub prices confirmed

Monday, 9th January 2012 07:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Following the launch of its PlayStation 3 app over the weekend, Netflix has launched in the UK and Ireland, confirming subscription prices in the process.

New customers get a month’s free trial, with subs costing £5.99 or €6.99 per month from there on out.

Content on offer features full TV shows including Prison Break, Damages TOWIE (eww) and Arrested Development (yay). Some of the movies on tap include 3:10 to Yuma, Blitz, Pirates of the Caribbean, Battle Royale, Armageddon, Sin City and The English Patient.

As well as the aforementioned PS3 application, it’ll come to Xbox 360 and Wii here in the UK as part of the launch.

Previously a US only service, the movie streaming service came to game consoles in 2008 as part of a year-long exclusivity deal with Xbox 360. A PS3 version arrived in October 2009, before coming to Wii in March 2010.

A 3DS version arrived last July.

More details here.

1. Sorvin

Wow… I’ve been looking forward to Netflix coming to Ireland for such a long time and now that it’s finally here…. what a crappy “selection” of movies they have.

The majority of the movies available in Ireland at the moment are unknown B-movies with a bunch of old blockbuster titles mixed with a very few newer titles.

How disappointing.

2. freedoms_stain

£5.99 sounds pretty reasonable, but the selection does seem pretty weak. At the moment I’d geek better taking a bumming off lovefilm to see 2 new films in a month than paying a sub to see an unlimited number of old films I’ve seen before or shitty old films I don’t want to see at all…

The service is new I suppose, room to grow, but they better do it quick.

3. Johnny Cullen

Movies are a bit weak, yes, but the TV stuff is excellent so far. Room for improvement, definitely, but it’s off to a good, I reckon.

4. Ireland Michael

So how much content are we talking exactly $6.99 is a great price, but only if there’s actually enough content on there to keep me going.

5. freedoms_stain

@4, they seem to be keeping the full shebang behind the paywall for now (at least I freakin hope so), there’s a “browse selection” function on their site (https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/New-Arrivals/RA) but I can’t believe that’s everything (because that’s piddling weak if it is).

There is a month free so I suppose that’d give you a window or opportunity to see if it’s worth the sub to you right now. I’m also sure they’ll have more coming regularly.

6. Ireland Michael

Just checked it out. Modern movie selection is indeed weak – you can probably play B Sky B for that one – but the TV selection is great, and will definitely keep me going for a while. Especially at that ridiculously low price.

*sits down, gets comfy, and gets ready for a Doctor Who marathon*

7. freedoms_stain

@5, do they have the older Doctor Who stuff or just Eccleson+?, wouldn’t mind seeing some if the old papermache Doctor stuff :-D

8. Ireland Michael

Just Eccleson+ for now.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the old stuff streamed *anywhere* online.

9. DSB

They’ve only just started rolling it out. It’s gonna be a while before they can offer the same kind of service that they do in the US.

The fact that they’re keeping the same pricing as they offer in the US is extremely positive in my opinion. Worst case scenario, it’ll push Lovefilm to lower their subscription, which has been dependent on no competition for far too long in my opinion.

10. absolutezero

65 Episodes of 1995 Spiderman Cartoon.

11. OlderGamer

As a long time Netflix user(US), I can safly say that your just looking at the tip of the ice burg. Like a new consoles weak launch line up, Netflixs offering will dramaticly improve. Or so I expect, it did in the US.

In my world, Netflix changed everything. Just give it time, unless Lovefilm makes some agressive changes Netflix will likly leave it in their wake.

12. Ireland Michael

@10 Still gutted that we never actually found out what happened to the real Mary Jane!

;_________;