Empire: 007 Skyfall to get game tie-in

Tuesday, 3rd January 2012 09:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The most recent issue of film magazine Empire has said the release of Skyfall, the next James Bond film, will get a game. This is not the first time the tie-in’s been mentioned. The small bit of info was given in regards to the 007 IP celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Activision currently holds the Bond games rights, and has released three titles so far: Quantum of Solace from Treyarch, Goldeneye 007 from Eurocom and Bizarre’s Blood Stone, the Liverpool studio’s final game.

Thanks, TSA.

1. The_Red

Why can’t they learn from Warner and Batman? The first one (Begins) had a game and it didn’t do well critically OR commercially. Then 2nd film (Dark Knight) didn’t have a tie-in game and instead allowed devs to work on a separate game for the character, resulting in sublime Arkham Asylum. A best seller AND a critical darling.

The first new Bond film (Casino R) also didn’t have a game and it didn’t hurt anyone while the mediocre Quantom had an equally mediocre game and it didn’t help anyone. Of course Bloodstone was kinda like their free from movie burden Bond game but considering the situation Bizarre was in as well as the way it was rushed, it shouldn’t count.

2. aseddon130

say what you will about Activision, their three releases so far are better than what EA put out years ago, besides from Everything Or Nothing, what a quality game that was.

They are half decent games, but nothing special. I suppose some people would say thats the problem.

3. viralshag

Quantum of Solace, and everything related to that film, sucks balls.

4. BULArmy

I am with @1, but as it is Activision I doubt they can do something so focused and deep as B:AA and AC.

Why the hate on Quantum of Solace, definitely around the bottom of 007, but above Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day and some Moore films. Actually something in the veins of the so unappreciated Dalton movies will be a good one or just the goofy villains. Also I really would like if they bring the gadgets and Q branch.

5. The_Red

@4 Sadly true. Even if a dev at Activision did have the passion and talent to make something great, they’ll still find a way to ruin the efforts of said team (Like they did with High Moon’s non-movie Transformers game).

As for Quantom of Solace hate, I think it had the misfortune of coming after Casino Royale which at least in my humble opinion is THE best Bond movie ever and one of the best origin / start stories along with Batman Begins and Iron Man 1.

6. viralshag

@4, Coming after CR just made it a little worse for me but almost everything about the film was a bit rubbish, imo. Mostly, it just didn’t feel very Bond-ish.

I just had a lot of issues with it – poor story, weak villain, some awful filming (mostly the action shots). The starting car chase was so cut up you were lucky to get more than a second or two in each scene, it was like Bay-on-speed.

I just wasn’t a fan of it and I was expecting so much after CR was so fantastic. I’m with The_Red, it’s a great film.

7. YoungZer0

@6: A lot of it can be blamed on the writers strike, really. Only Craig and Forster could change the paperthin script. Wasn’t really planned as a sequel to the previous story.

8. Erthazus

“Why can’t they learn from Warner and Batman?”

because it’s Activision.

9. BULArmy

I don’t know, I am not Craig as a Bond fan and CR for me missed some things to be a real Bond movie. Yeah QoS had huge misses, but it was much more a real Bond film than CR. I think CR is great movie, but we can just give it another name and nobody will know the difference. Also I really hate that they kept Dench as M with totally screw with the time line.

As of games, Bloodstone, had a decent story, the shooting was not bad, the car scenes could have been better, the stealth was unnecessary, but not bad, but the fighting, this simplified scripted, movie like fighting, that most games implement nowadays was just bad.
    Actually a stealthy game with free-flowing button mashing fights ala B:AA with a decent story and some scripted car chases could be very good game. Maybe James Bond – Alpha Protocol style game, except for the RPG part.