Rayman creator Ancel: “I don’t really enjoy Mario games”

Monday, 5th December 2011 19:04 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Speaking to Gamasutra, Rayman creator Michel Ancel has said he doesn’t enjoy Mario.

Ancel also said that while he’s flattered he’s called “the French Miyamoto” and feels “it’s an honor,” he still thinks he’s “very different” from the Nintendo legend.

“I really loved the idea of introducing artistic features in games — that is to say the storytelling, the artwork, music – and to get everything together in the best possible alchemy. We have two different approaches, two different tracks,” he said.

“I will tell you something terrible – I don’t really enjoy playing Mario games. I don’t like gliding, I don’t like its inertia, and I don’t like not being able to give some slaps. It’s a fabulous series, and I understand that people love it, but it’s not my cup of tea.”

He added: “I used to prefer Ghosts n’ Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World – games with a focus on the narrative side. Beyond that, I find Mario’s controls very interesting, but I don’t buy it. I can’t help but seeing the ropes of the game, even if it works.”

1. Razor

Yeah, Mario’s just a fat bastard. Sonic is where it’s at :)

2. K-V-C

LIESSSSSS LOL OJ !!!!!

3. The_Red

Wow, just wow. I thought I was the only one who didn’t enjoy Mario games (Even the originals on NES). Maybe this is why I enjoy his games so much. Also, Heart of Darkness FTW!

4. ManuOtaku

Well with the exception of The newest Rayman (origins), the past Rayman games were not that good, i think miyamoto will say the same 8D, the feeling is share.

5. Butcher8

Strange considering Rayman Origins reminds me the most of New Super Mario Bros on the wii, 4 players on both games is a very similar experience albeit I prefer Rayman. It was clearly inspired by that title.

6. WFMMK

Same here never enjoyed Mario games. Same goes for Rayman too though…

7. Gurdil

I enjoy Rayman way more than Mario and that’s no chauvinism. Just think Rayman is more fun.