Quick Quotes: Sony feels it would be “undesirable” for PS4 to launch later than its competition

Wednesday, 23rd November 2011 21:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with PS4], [but] there’s still a lot of unfinished business on PS3. If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150 million units installed globally, a huge majority of that was done at price points of £120 or lower. [With PS3] we’ve only just hit £199 in the UK, so clearly there’s a considerable untapped part of the market there.” – PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan to Eurogamer.

1. Erthazus

Release the damn thing already for sake. We need Ps4 or something next gen, because PC and other gamers stuck in the past.

Ps3/X360 should exist with new platforms.

2. Lounds

Lower PS3 to £150
    PS4 £350 and they should sell.

3. K-V-C

i grew up with the playstation as my brothers did aswell tekken 3 was our very first game ever bought for it and funny enough tekken 4 was my first game for the ps2 i loved the playstation and i hope the ps4 brings awesome memories as the ps1,ps2 and ps3 did 4 me

4. triggerhappy

They are 100% not going to let MS get another head start. I think their kind of getting their hand forced a bit here because I would definitely say theres another Xbox just around the corner, 2013 at least. So much for the 10 year life cycle, unless theres going to be a dual platform thing going on for a few years. Dosen’t even feel like I bought my PS3 that long ago.

5. DSB

The way I read that, he’s at least indirectly saying that they took the wrong approach with the strategy they started with going into this generation. I don’t think any business considers it a great win to come into its own 5 years into the game.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from the PS3. It’s not just a question of beating Microsoft to the punch, it’s also a question of lasting value by virtue of online features and developer support.

6. tmac2011

i would wait a month after 360 if there still desining the ps4 to see what the 360 has , to make the ps4 better. the ps3 still has alot of life left in it, im not rushing in for a new console already. have good titles made for the ps4 sony, make the price lower than the ps3!