Rockstar chose Max Payne 3 development over Bully sequel due to “limited bandwidth”

Friday, 18th November 2011 14:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rockstar creative boss Dan Houser has said it picked development on Max Payne 3 over a potential Bully 2 at Rockstar Vancouver because of “limited bandwidth.”

In a Gamasutra interview, Houser said Bully was still a franchise it would like to revisit at some stage.

“We have been meaning to start it for a while, but we have limited bandwidth and limited studios, and more games to make than we’ve started. So suddenly it was a good slot,” he said on when it started MP3′s development.

Houser further added it “knew” it didn’t want to begin work on the “Bully sequel instantly at that second with those guys — even though it is a property that, like Max, we adore and might come back to in the future. There was just no impetus to do that then.

“So we said, ‘You can do Max, and then we will see what we can do with Bully.’ So it was really waiting for the slot to open up and the group to open up to at least start work on it.”

Max Payne 3 releases next March for PS3, 360 and PC from Rockstar Vancouver.

1. Razor

R* on dial-up confirmed.

2. Moonwalker1982

Awww…i personally would have wanted a Bully 2 on this generation of consoles, over Max Payne 3.

3. YoungZer0

Well, next time then? Bully was an amazing game, one of the best PS2 games, if i’m honest. I’d love to see a sequel.

4. Ireland Michael

I would have taken Bully over the boring, uninspired mess of Max Payne any day of the week.

5. YoungZer0

@4: How is it a mess?

6. Moonwalker1982

Yeah man, i loved Bully. What an awesome game, what other game had that setting and those posibilities and fun missions? No other. Great memories of that one.

Absolutely loved to kick the crap out of some foul-mouthed dudes, just so awesome.

7. Blerk

I would’ve chosen Bully in a heartbeat, awesome game. But hopefully there’s still a chance for that follow up once Max is done, it’s long overdue.

8. YoungZer0

@6: I’d always abuse the fat nerd with his barn open. Hated him so much, just for what he was and said.

9. Phoenixblight

I would totally like to see a new Bully. I have great memories with the first one.
    I am also waiting for Max Payne 3 it looks like it will be a lot of shoot em up fun.

10. Moonwalker1982

Was Bully a huge success? I sure hope so, cause it really deserved it. There was alot of variety in the missions, the locations were alotta fun and the fun factor overall was just 100%.

11. xxJPRACERxx

I really like what I saw of Max Payne 3 and I know it’s a day 1 purchase for me. Also I would really like a new Bully. But what I want most right now is some new info on Agent.

12. Ireland Michael

@5 It’s central gimmick was shoddy mechanic with no depth, and the game’s aesthetic was contrived and pretentious as all hell.

13. YoungZer0

@12: It wasn’t shoddy when it came out. Matter of fact it served as an inspiration for a lot of other games that came out after it. While i would agree that the first one was pretty pretentious, don’t get the same feeling from the second one.

14. The_Red

I hope this means they will make the Bully 2 one day (Hopefully as a more daring, M rated game).

15. Ireland Michael

@13 No, even back than it was poorly designed and looked horrid.

Don’t even get me started on the constipation face….

16. YoungZer0

@13: I’ll choose to disagree with you then. No reason to continue this discussion.

17. albo88

R* games are always day 1 buy for me even if gta 4 on pc kinda suck’t on a technical perspective was not stabilized at all