“There is scope to remake” strategic Syndicate, says EAP producer

Monday, 24th October 2011 10:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

There’s “scope” to remake the original, strategy-based Syndicate, but only for platforms “more suitable” than consoles, the game’s producer on the EA Partners side has said.

“The original was such a classic. There is scope to remake it,” EAP executive producer Jeff Gamon told EG.

“But I don’t think it necessarily has to be exactly the same genre. If we did there are probably other platforms which are more suitable for it than the consoles we’re making it for, if we wanted to go in that more strategic route, that perspective.”

On a potential PC and iOS release, Gamon said that there’s “loads of potential. We’re not limited at all. But that’s purely speculative at this point.”

The original Syndicate released on PC in 1993 from Bullfrog and Peter Molyneux. The new title, made by Riddick dev Starbreeze and publisher EA Partners, is a first-person shooter affair.

The reboot’s out on February 21 in the US and February 24 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. silkvg247

He needs to man up and just admit that making generic FPS #4210 is a mistake, and an especially bad move and wasted potential when we talk about an IP like Syndicate.

I said it in the last post I’ll say it again. Use the original formula, with today’s technology. Add some FPS sections in by all means but keep them short, sweet and fun.

2. Fin

Right, you can say that Syndicate is not staying true to its roots and whatever, but it does not look like a generic FPS.

3. silkvg247

@2 You’re right, it looks even less inspired than most new ones.

4. FillRoyy

5. FillRoyy

I know its not copying it at all intenionally, but coming out so close behind Deus Ex HR makes it look doubly uninspirational.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

So, he clearly did not play the ORIGINAL Syndicate game otherwise he wouldn’t have made a stupid comment like that. I for one played Syndicate on my SEGA Mega Drive, I didn’t have a mouse or keyboard, I still enjoyed it and there are ways to recreate those moment with current gen expectations and make still look and play fun. You’re lack of imagination and creativeness is the issue here, and of course EA wants more Call of Duty battles than releasing a proper game outside of the shooter genre.

7. DSB

@6 You can’t expect them to copy Syndicate bit by bit today, though. It was like a super advanced Cannon Fodder when it all came down to it.

Perhaps most sadly, I don’t think he’s talking about the PC at all, but rather the mobile platforms.

If they made it a pause-and-go strategy game in the style of Silent Storm, it would be amazing.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 No, I didn’t meant it to be exactly be the same thing. :P I meant as if doesn’t know what’s he talking about.

And, I don’t see how they should trouble themselves with mobile platform. I know EA would release their games on calculators if they could but it’s usually done by smaller studios dedicated to those kinda platforms, not the main team.

I didn’t play Silent Storm, but played Jagged Alliance and a bit of commandos, even those are no where to be found. Someone is doing a Jagged Alliance game, although I have my doubts if it’s gonna be anything like the original game(s).

9. DSB

@8 Holy shit dude! If you played JA, you gotta try Silent Storm.

It’s a genuine bitch to get it running today, the developers did a terrible job saving it for posterity, but it’s the only true heir to the turnbased throne.

It’s brilliant.

10. DaMan

Wow, there’re in fact people who played Cannon Fodder here, eh. Brings a tear to my eye, well not really but still. That was one of my favourite games as a kid. Brilliant ‘voiceovers’ too.

11. silkvg247

WAR! Never been so much fun(x4)
    Go to your brother, kill him with your gun, leave him lyin’ in his uniform dying in the sun.

12. DaMan

The recruitment theme was my favourite.

13. AHA-Lambda

@6 – i think he’s talking more about the current market rather than hardware and input

14. DSB

@10 I was so young that my favourite thing was filling up the little graveyard.

15. DaMan

#14, That was a huge part of the game!